Neighbors baby goats walking troubles

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexasArtist, Jan 17, 2005.

1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Just talked with the neighbor next door and she said she has lost 4 babies in the past few days. They start out fine but then they cant walk or even get up to their moms to feed. Their little legs are all wobbly. She thinking it's either the goats feed or maybe inbreeding to much down the line. Shes had the male quite a long time from what she says.
    I know someone posted about something like this before but I can't remember what the title was.
    Thanks for any info and help

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Could be selenium deficiency. Do the goats get a shot of Bo-Se?? If in a deficient area, the does & also the kids should be given a shot.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Yep sounds like no Selenium the does should have had shots 3wks to 30days prior to kidding I give to does and also give 1/2 cc to all new borns. Get her to go to the Vet and get BoSE ASAP and get in those babies. They are starving to death is my guess because they can't get up and eat. has she taken their temps?? she may need to tube feed if any are left still alive so they get something in them to stay alive.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I agree, sounds like no BO SE, to me, and they need that , to keep going , and get those babies going. and she probably doesn't use nutri drench either. sounds like they need both. and fast. I would also give those babys some electrolytes, as well, and the doe also.

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy tex, As the other posters have said give them SO Be....I had this problem with weak legs myself just last week with a kid. His front legs were so weak that he was walking on his knees...well we gave the doe everything she needed and figured since the doe had twins perhaps he was just pushed up tight and had less muscle then he needed...anyways...we put splints on his front legs using popcicle sticks,adhesive bandeges,and electrical tape to hald it all together!...now thats a hick fer ya huh? lol....didnt have duct tape!...but 2 days later I took the splints off to check his legs out fer sores and to see iffin he could walk...YES! he could and is now doing just fine....I dont know what was wrong with him fer sure but what we did worked for us perhaps it will fer your friend as well....good luck and keep me posted on the out come....dale anne

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I had triplettes in Dec and they all were so weak compaired to the twins I have, one buck could not straighten his hind legs for about two days, none of them walked until the second day. It was a first time mother and this was from a breeding with her father (only buck at the time). I milked the mother and bottle fed the little guys for about two days. The littlest one was just too weak and would not feed, the other two are doing great--the legs straightened out and he is all over the place :) I wil have to check out getting some BoSe, I thought our area was suficiant for that???

7. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Jas
    depending on where you are at in SD heres the new map
    http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html
    However keep in mind where is the grain grown that you purchase, same for hay etc etc etc. most of us don't have many many acres of browse for our goats so we suplement by feeding thus we also have to supplement Selenium or BoSe
    talk to your vet talk to your extension agent. I am in a marginal to moderate area but I feed all the time and most of my food souce comes out of OKLA area which are defiencent' thus all my stock gets BoSE 30day prior to breeding all bred does get BoSe 30 days prior to freshening and all babies get 1/4 to 1/2 cc the day they are born depending on their weight.

8. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Thanks Sondra,

It looks like we are fine, one of the highest levels on the map. Actually, we are in an area where selenium toxicity would be more of a problem. Most of our hay is off our place or a few miles away.

9. Dream Acres Va

Dream Acres Va Member

BoSe shots should be given within 2 (TWO) weeks of kidding. It only stays in the goats' system for TWO weeks. The dosages is 2cc SubQ. The doe should also be given another 2cc of BoSe after kidding, and the kidd(s) should be given a BoSe shot (1cc SubQ) within hours of birth. She should also be given a molasses & warm water mixture to drink after birthing.

Also, weak kness can be a result of an infection received throught the imbicial cord, but it normally shows up between 1 to 2 months of age. It will start with limping, then walking on knees. Treatment is 1 cc of pencillin, 2 times a day for seven days. If not showing improvement by day three of treatment call the vet.

Selenium/vitamin mixture can be purchased from Caprine Supplies and added to your feed. It's not terribly expensive, I usually top dress the does grain rations.

10. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

My doe had triplet does 4 mths ago. They were as strong as anything....for the entire pregnancy I fed the doe a capful of Nutrimol in her feed...a seaweed and mineral tonic...plus in the last half I gave her a tablespoon of Apple Cidar Vinegar to help with easy birthing and it helps make strong babies. When a doe is pregnant I dont think people feed her accordingly....and it shows in the kids that are unthrifty and weak. My does have a mineral/magnesium block that they have access to.

11. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The dosage for Bo-se is 1cc per 40 pounds. So unless your goats weigh 80 pounds, than they would need more. Also, we have an article up on our site from Sue Reith, explaining how Bo-se has a minimal amount of selenium in it, so if you are in defficient part of the state, you would need to give more than the labeled dosage to see improvement. Yes we all should, as Shazza stated, be feeding the dams the last 50 days to improve the condition of the kids, this includes minerals.

Being that your neighbor is in Texas, I would bet it's not only the selenium she is not dealing with but also the copper. Here without a high copper mineral 24/7 your does can't absorb the other minerals in the diet adequately anyway.

Supplement the copper and selenium in a good loose mineral mix, than bolstering with Bo-se at labeled dosages prekidding and prebreeding works really well. It's not enough to just look on the map and see that you are not defficient, unless 100% of your goats diet comes from your place. If you bring in hay or grain than it is where it is grown that becomes the problem. Blood tests for selenium are inexpensive. Vicki

12. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I give my does, BO SE, every 50 days, then I feed vit's to them every day, and once a week they get a calcuim pill. 100mg. sounds like a vit. thing to me,
    I give POSe shots to my new borns, before they are an hour old. makes a big difference, then I repeat at 3 weeks.I also feed loose minerals, by purnia, for goats. I top dress, their grain evryday with it. I want to make sure thaey are getting what they need to stay healthy, and have healthy babys, it works, i haven't lost any yet, but you never know on that , some times it just happens.