Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you read any of my other posts.. then you know i struggle with my neighbors....

if you dont feel like looking for my other posts.. here is summary .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(go to the next line like this if you already caught up)
i bought chickens, in march to start my homestead journey. few days after. my neighbors get about 60 chickens. no big deal, for the first few days , till their chickens start escaping and coming into my yard. still not horrible , i can chase them out. and their not hurting much . just getting grass nibbles that they DONT have in their pen .. just pure dirt .plus my rooster is pretty protective of his property , and helps me chase them out.

i then find some Nigerian dwarf goats from a lady who was downsizing her herd. and get to bring home 1 new mama goat and her doeling. my plan for them is milk , and if get any boys i cant get rid of , raise them for meat.

few days later... im sitting in my goat pen getting this skittish little doeling to like me cause she was never handled till i got her.. and here comes the neighbors with. a arm full of fluff.i think maybe they bought ANOTHER puppy... nope .. its a goat... a single goat .. at this time i think "ok .. its probably a girl .."

fast forward to when this little goat gets OUT of their pen and is running around the outside of my fenced in yard,making my goats freak out .. so i run out of the house, and grab their little goat and .. boom i feel nuts .. OF COURSE they got a fully intact buckling.. i go over to their house and knock , and no answer , so i go and put the goat back in the fence of theirs. and he BUSTS OUT AGAIN .. this time i see how hes getting out. their goat house/shed has a window with a flimsy screen that the goat knocked out and jumped through the window of ... so i grab this goat once again .shut the window , and put him back in the fence... my brother is at my house the while time this is going on ..

she finally comes outside after about 30 minutes and we walk over and tell her what happened and she just says "hes not going to get out again. dont worry about it " learn what his breed is and so on. Nigerian x pygmy mix . i tell her the ONLY breed my GIRLS can not breed with is a pygmy... i been warned what can go wrong by 3 different people if one gets her pregnant and i dont want to risk it ... she scoffs and says "hes a small breed , she would be fine." ........ ***.. i tell her "if he gets mine pregnant , i have to get the babies removed. i do NOT want him back over near my property." she rolls her eyes . and goes on saying she got him for breeding reason and knew she wanted one when she seen i had got some.... "they are just so cute, i couldnt help myself."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(ok . so what happened recently)

they got their goat house/shed repoed. their is now a hole in their fence from where they cut it so the animals can get in and out of the shed. they used a wire to "close it up" hope their planning on fixing it up soon... cause their chickens are now escaping from above and through the fence... and if that goat wants to , he could push his way out too..

OK ..so i get home from work on the 16th and notice my mama goat , blue is in heat.. so i sit out there with her for a moment. and just rub on her to comfort her. and i look up and the neighbors daughter is chasing this buck around the yard. both of her parents behind her yelling to get him , and dont let him go to the road... and then the goat runs over to my fence doing that weird little buck thing. and rubbing on my fence , and i hear the male neighbor say "what is he interested in there. " and she shouts "its because shes got 2 girls in there. " and i say .. so MAYBE it would hurry them up getting him AWAY from my yard "one of my girls are in heat. please get him away from my fence. " and they both pause and he says "can he HAVE her ?" ... *** dude i already told your wife. your goat is NEVER to be near mine...but i nicely say " no, hes the wrong breed. and its not the right time, i dont want babies in march." ... he picks up this buck , and leans over my fence and says "its just a goat. breed dont matter." and i stand up . grab my goat by the collar and hold her behind me and say "BREED DOES MATTER.... and i dont want THAT breed to get mine pregnant , shes a full bred Nigerian dwarf goat. please get him away from my fence, and keep him away from it" he laughs thinking im joking ??? i researched goats for a good year or so before i got mine , im still learning... but THEY impulse bought a goat because they seen mine and they thought it was cute.. they didnt even know what it freaking ate...10 minutes on google will tell you , what they eat , and how to do basic care.

go ahead .. see what happens if he comes near my fence again .. your going to be missing a goat and smell something nice on my grill... honestly ... my goat mentor even told me "if he gets out , grab him , throw him in the trunk and call me. we will fix the situation." i can deal with the dogs running around , i can deal with their chickens getting out .. i cant not deal .. with the disrespect of intentionally ignoring my simple request of "KEEP HIM AWAY FROM MY YARD." i mean how hard is that ? she complained how expensive he was.. you think she would be a little more concerned about him getting out. and such..

i could write a freaking book on bad neighbors at this point... i try to be a respectful neighbor, and decent human... but its people like them that makes me wanna throw that all out the window and be like "you want war? you'll get war... "

·
newfieannie
10,186 Posts
Can he have her? all i can think of is your neighbors must be inbreds. i've followed your posts and i couldn't put up with it this long.

i had to put up a 6ft fence around the neighbors side. stupid no nothing people. i think you have a fence though . you might have to electrify it to protect your goats if that is allowed there. ~Georgia

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good fences make good neighbors. Too many homesteaders build pens for animals when the first fence built should be perimeter fence.
my WHOLE yard is fenced in , then sectioned off pens for each type of animal. but a goat can jump pretty dang high , and could get in my yard if he wanted to .. mine can get out if they wanted to .. but they never have .. dont mean they wont , but so far .. knocks on wood

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can he have her? all i can think of is your neighbors must be inbreds. i've followed your posts and i couldn't put up with it this long.

i had to put up a 6ft fence around the neighbors side. stupid no nothing people. i think you have a fence though . you might have to electrify it to protect your goats if that is allowed there. ~Georgia
i plan to upgrade my fence. slowly saving up the money for the wood. right now its just a 4ft chainlink fence. but at least having that as a base , i can just use the chainlink as a brace for the new fence. but yeah .. my mom is passive when it comes to neighbors , but my goat mentor is telling me "dont take any crap, take it into your own hands" and is giving me more of a backbone when it comes to this .. but that whole "can he have her" crap pissed me off the most.. like. think before you speak? if i WANTED to breed my goat with yours.. dont you think id ASK if i could borrow him for a moment !? .. just because your goat is "in the mood" dont mean you have to satisfy the feeling. as a owner YOU choose when is best to let it happen .. and it will NEVER happen with that little goat next door. and my neighbors arent getting that in their thick skulls. but this is also the man who came to my house and point blank asked me if i could sleep with him , cause his wife wouldnt ... so .. how can i be THAT surprised...

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
if you read any of my other posts.. then you know i struggle with my neighbors....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(go to the next line like this if you already caught up)
i bought chickens, in march to start my homestead journey. few days after. my neighbors get about 60 chickens. no big deal, for the first few days , till their chickens start escaping and coming into my yard. still not horrible , i can chase them out. and their not hurting much . just getting grass nibbles that they DONT have in their pen .. just pure dirt .plus my rooster is pretty protective of his property , and helps me chase them out.

i then find some Nigerian dwarf goats from a lady who was downsizing her herd. and get to bring home 1 new mama goat and her doeling. my plan for them is milk , and if get any boys i cant get rid of , raise them for meat.

few days later... im sitting in my goat pen getting this skittish little doeling to like me cause she was never handled till i got her.. and here comes the neighbors with. a arm full of fluff.i think maybe they bought ANOTHER puppy... nope .. its a goat... a single goat .. at this time i think "ok .. its probably a girl .."

fast forward to when this little goat gets OUT of their pen and is running around the outside of my fenced in yard,making my goats freak out .. so i run out of the house, and grab their little goat and .. boom i feel nuts .. OF COURSE they got a fully intact buckling.. i go over to their house and knock , and no answer , so i go and put the goat back in the fence of theirs. and he BUSTS OUT AGAIN .. this time i see how hes getting out. their goat house/shed has a window with a flimsy screen that the goat knocked out and jumped through the window of ... so i grab this goat once again .shut the window , and put him back in the fence... my brother is at my house the while time this is going on ..

she finally comes outside after about 30 minutes and we walk over and tell her what happened and she just says "hes not going to get out again. dont worry about it " learn what his breed is and so on. Nigerian x pygmy mix . i tell her the ONLY breed my GIRLS can not breed with is a pygmy... i been warned what can go wrong by 3 different people if one gets her pregnant and i dont want to risk it ... she scoffs and says "hes a small breed , she would be fine." ........ ***.. i tell her "if he gets mine pregnant , i have to get the babies removed. i do NOT want him back over near my property." she rolls her eyes . and goes on saying she got him for breeding reason and knew she wanted one when she seen i had got some.... "they are just so cute, i couldnt help myself."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(ok . so what happened recently)

they got their goat house/shed repoed. their is now a hole in their fence from where they cut it so the animals can get in and out of the shed. they used a wire to "close it up" hope their planning on fixing it up soon... cause their chickens are now escaping from above and through the fence... and if that goat wants to , he could push his way out too..

OK ..so i get home from work on the 16th and notice my mama goat , blue is in heat.. so i sit out there with her for a moment. and just rub on her to comfort her. and i look up and the neighbors daughter is chasing this buck around the yard. both of her parents behind her yelling to get him , and dont let him go to the road... and then the goat runs over to my fence doing that weird little buck thing. and rubbing on my fence , and i hear the male neighbor say "what is he interested in there. " and she shouts "its because shes got 2 girls in there. " and i say .. so MAYBE it would hurry them up getting him AWAY from my yard "one of my girls are in heat. please get him away from my fence. " and they both pause and he says "can he HAVE her ?" ... *** dude i already told your wife. your goat is NEVER to be near mine...but i nicely say " no, hes the wrong breed. and its not the right time, i dont want babies in march." ... he picks up this buck , and leans over my fence and says "its just a goat. breed dont matter." and i stand up . grab my goat by the collar and hold her behind me and say "BREED DOES MATTER.... and i dont want THAT breed to get mine pregnant , shes a full bred Nigerian dwarf goat. please get him away from my fence, and keep him away from it" he laughs thinking im joking ??? i researched goats for a good year or so before i got mine , im still learning... but THEY impulse bought a goat because they seen mine and they thought it was cute.. they didnt even know what it freaking ate...10 minutes on google will tell you , what they eat , and how to do basic care.

go ahead .. see what happens if he comes near my fence again .. your going to be missing a goat and smell something nice on my grill... honestly ... my goat mentor even told me "if he gets out , grab him , throw him in the trunk and call me. we will fix the situation." i can deal with the dogs running around , i can deal with their chickens getting out .. i cant not deal .. with the disrespect of intentionally ignoring my simple request of "KEEP HIM AWAY FROM MY YARD." i mean how hard is that ? she complained how expensive he was.. you think she would be a little more concerned about him getting out. and such..

i could write a freaking book on bad neighbors at this point... i try to be a respectful neighbor, and decent human... but its people like them that makes me wanna throw that all out the window and be like "you want war? you'll get war... "
Had a problem when i first retired and moved back to my farm. Man across the road had a lot of Cattle and about 15 Bulls, The Bulls loved to come into my fields and eat and then go back across the road. It took me 1 year to fence in my propery. ( 4,000 ) acres of fields and timber land. At first i would call the man that took care of the mans cows and he would come over and get them back in his field. After about 3 mos. he got tired of removing the Bulls from my property. I talked to law at town about it. They told me to shoot the Bulls. Instead i got 4 stock Dogs. That took care of that problem. After i got my fence up no more Bulls trying to get on my property. The man had about 100 Cattle and all them Bulls. He has about 2,000 acre and it is all fenced in. His Bulls would get out at some bad spots in his fence. He put up another good fence around his fields, that took care of the problem. His Cattle was getting into other people farms. He lost about 20 Cattle. They just went missing. Now with his good fence up no more problems.
Do you like Goat meat :)
Why are you letting one Goat get you upset. Get rid of that Goat. :) Its really that simple.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,726 Posts
You know this, but if your fence isn't good enough to keep that goat out, then YOU have a problem. Fix YOUR fence as soon as possible.

Have a cabrito barbecue, but be sure to soak the meat in buttermilk to get the rank bucky taste off.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had a problem when i first retired and moved back to my farm. Man across the road had a lot of Cattle and about 15 Bulls, The Bulls loved to come into my fields and eat and then go back across the road. It took me 1 year to fence in my propery. ( 4,000 ) acres of fields and timber land. At first i would call the man that took care of the mans cows and he would come over and get them back in his field. After about 3 mos. he got tired of removing the Bulls from my property. I talked to law at town about it. They told me to shoot the Bulls. Instead i got 4 stock Dogs. That took care of that problem. After i got my fence up no more Bulls trying to get on my property. The man had about 100 Cattle and all them Bulls. He has about 2,000 acre and it is all fenced in. His Bulls would get out at some bad spots in his fence. He put up another good fence around his fields, that took care of the problem. His Cattle was getting into other people farms. He lost about 20 Cattle. They just went missing. Now with his good fence up no more problems.
Do you like Goat meat :)
Why are you letting one Goat get you upset. Get rid of that Goat. :) Its really that simple.
never had goat meat. but cant be much different then sheep right ? lol

its not really the goat thats upsetting me ...its the neighbors .. getting animals , not knowing how to care for them. then acting like they are the only people who live in this area, and do what they want. easy to get rid of a pest goat.. not so easy to get rid of the neighbor... nothing stops them from buying another one.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know this, but if your fence isn't good enough to keep that goat out, then YOU have a problem. Fix YOUR fence as soon as possible.

Have a cabrito barbecue, but be sure to soak the meat in buttermilk to get the rank bucky taste off.
soon as possible is in effect.. but its not as soon as i want.... my fence honestly would have been just fine, if they hadn't decided buying a buck was a good idea.. my girls are pretty docile and dont really have any interest in getting out. when the buck is in his pen , mine dont seem to have any interest in him . but when they let him OUT of the pen to roam around .. yes roam .. he gets close to my yard and mine start getting excited.. and running back and forth .. if they would just keep him in the pen.. or keep him on a leash when he is out.. we would have no issues what so ever.

buttermilk soak, to get bucky taste off .. good to know , thank you :)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
never had goat meat. but cant be much different then sheep right ? lol

its not really the goat thats upsetting me ...its the neighbors .. getting animals , not knowing how to care for them. then acting like they are the only people who live in this area, and do what they want. easy to get rid of a pest goat.. not so easy to get rid of the neighbor... nothing stops them from buying another one.
It might come to a point where you might try to buy them out. What's their place worth? Peace of mind is alot to me,..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Laws are different everywhere in the US. Where I live at the owner has to fence there livestock in (some places you have to fence animals out) and were able to fix issues of other peoples livestock causing damages on your property. Were also able to put a lean on someones property for livestock damages and I know a lot of places will not let you do that.

Once a goat gets castrated he will still be fertile for a while.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It might come to a point where you might try to buy them out. What's their place worth? Peace of mind is alot to me,..
they have far to many "friends and family" around this area. i just happened to get a house smack dab in the middle of them and everyone else because the house was bank auctioned off and their bid wasnt high enough. so their family would have owned my house if they had just a little more funds for it. just so no one else could move into the area.... which if i knew that. i would've have second guessed getting this place... but here i am .. and im staying .. i put a LOT of money into repairing and fixing up this house. i one day was spring cleaning , getting rid of a bunch of junk and things i was never going to use. filled up the bed of my dads truck twice.. (hording tendency .. just a little bit . ) and the neighbors where like "your moving right ? how much do you want for the house? you havent really done anything with it since moving in, so what did you buy it for ? we can maybe make a deal somewhere around that." like WOAH WOAH WOAH... WHO SAID I WAS MOVING !? and two , how dare you say i havent put much into this house.. ive at least TRIPLED the value of this house.. they got really disappointed i wasnt moving ..

i been looking into buying the empty lot next to me .. BUUUUUT they own it .. i would have really liked to add to my homestead area , so i can raise a few more animals .. but alas .. cant. and their house .. i cant say how much its worth cause i have no idea ... and dont know how to look that up . but i cant say its much more then i paid for my place.. which honestly isnt THAT much for a house. .. looking back at paperwork .bought this place for about .. $26,000 ....

·
Registered
5,793 Posts

You aren't going to change them. They aren't going to take care of their animals the way you think they should. They aren't going to do anything about keeping their goat in. It's unfortunate that they are lousy neighbors but it is what it is. Accept those facts and move on. Improve your fencing, do what you need to do on your property to secure your animals and ensure their safety and well-being.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do what you need to do on your property to secure your animals and ensure their safety and well-being.
so .... getting rid of their goat. and picking off their dogs. thats seems like the only way to ensure my animals safety and well-being... sounds like the original plan . i mean if they start noticing their animals disappearing , they should change their upkeep on animals if they dont wanna lose anymore.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
so .... getting rid of their goat. and picking off their dogs. thats seems like the only way to ensure my animals safety and well-being... sounds like the original plan . i mean if they start noticing their animals disappearing , they should change their upkeep on animals if they dont wanna lose anymore.
Choose wisely. I've been picking off dogs from the trailer park across the road for years. They multiply quickly.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Just remember that they have the same option. If you want to start eliminating their animals remember that they can do the same to you. Seems like @Alice In TX/MO may have the best idea.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.