Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,843 Posts
^ I'm sure we could have but for the time and having to hire an attorney to get back $70 (estimate), it would have been frivolous. I don't think he was carrying that much in cash (thankfully) and any charges on the cards were fraudulent and we didn't have to pay those.

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
I was just curious. In some states you don't need a lawyer to file a civil suit. I think in Ohio you can sue for treble damages, but you have to decide if it's worth your time and effort.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
A lot of times a civil suit is useless because try collecting from a deadbeat. In Wisconsin we can go to small claims court and represent ourselves. We’ve had judgment against back rent and damage to rental property, and have never gotten a dime. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
A lot of times a civil suit is useless because try collecting from a deadbeat. In Wisconsin we can go to small claims court and represent ourselves. We’ve had judgment against back rent and damage to rental property, and have never gotten a dime. Just a heads up.
It has been a while but I believe once you get the judgement you immediately file a cause to show assets. You get the losers to sign a payment order, file it with the clerk and it goes on their record. They can pay you now, pay you a little, pay you not at all, or just file a bk. However, that blue moon comes along and Bruno and Betsy Renter call you because, well, they are trying to get a mortgage, or a car loan or a certain financial/security job and that damnable lender or human resource meanie wants this thing and that thing wiped off their credit report first.

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
That might work if the dead-beat needed to get your lien off their credit report, or get a real job instead of stealing from honest people.
I agree that the odds aren't always good. I knew of a plumbing contractor who had about 110+ rentals at one time. He followed that procedure with every eviction due to rent. For every 100 kick outs, he might have had 20% that paid back their debt. Maybe it is principal, maybe not.

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
A rental dead beat might be as bad to collect from as a thief. If I had the personal info of a thief I would check into their assets to see if they owned anything worth the effort.

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Posted 12/7/21 2:32 A.M. CST

Anyone in the neighborhood own a backhoe?
We live in the country but on our road there is a section about a bit under a half mile where there are eight houses along the one side.
We are in the middle of the row.
We all look out for each other.
People sort of know not to screw around.
The cops are always 45 minutes away.
Alot can happen in 45 minutes.
My neighbor likes signs to put on his barns and driveway so when I found one at a flea market that read "NO Trespassing I own firearms and a backhoe" I bought it for him and he mounted it beside his drive where he parks his work trucks and John Deere Mule 4WD LOL.

Reactions: Pony

·
Unapologetically me
21,578 Posts
I'd like to have an alarm system, something like Simplisafe that I can add on to or otherwise customize

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
Posted 12/7/21 2:32 A.M. CST

My neighbor likes signs to put on his barns and driveway so when I found one at a flea market that read "NO Trespassing I own firearms and a backhoe" I bought it for him and he mounted it beside his drive where he parks his work trucks and John Deere Mule 4WD LOL.
We have a neighbor with many signs.

My favorite is the one that he plasma-cut into a big ol' piece of sheet metal:
WE DON'T CALL 911.

·
Registered
5 Posts
a agree with lots of cameras. we have cameras all around our property and even have backup solar powered ones with sd cards. I also have a hurried MURS driveway alarm. My driveway is 1/4 mile. The neighbors keep good communication and an eye out. A few miles from us they had some break ins and one even when the homeowner was home. That can be scary.
I think all those people at home not working are getting bored and know the police are overtaxed in my area. A deer was hit by a car a few years ago it would be gone in a day by the county. Now they sit for weeks on the shoulder as they don't have anyone. Same with the Sheriff, they are really stretched thin.

I have this sign on the property entrance
Rectangle Font Poster Parallel Signage

and this one near the house/barn with "some" cameras right by it
Rectangle Product Font Motor vehicle Technology

·
Registered
412 Posts
We have a neighbor with many signs.

My favorite is the one that he plasma-cut into a big ol' piece of sheet metal:
WE DON'T CALL 911.
There’s one big problem with those type signs. They work fine likely better than those more benign signs. Trouble is later on if you ever end up getting pushed into having to harm one of these criminals their lawyer will absolutely eat your lunch using that to paint you as the criminal. Worse perhaps is that your local prosecutor will likely use that the same way to land you in the Big House. Even if you win you’ll be financially drained.
Don’t take this as advice take it AS A THREAT because it is. Don’t for one second think that some up and coming prosecutor won’t use you as his or her stepping stone to higher office. Also consider how easily others have reluctantly caved when BLM started parking on their door with the lefty media promoting their cause .
It isn’t right, far from it but these are the times we’re stuck in so don’t give anybody any ability to make you the bad guy. In today’s sick world we law abiding citizens have to guard ourselves both ways.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Post signs that say NO TRESSPASSING and nothing else. Any sign that says we will do this or that, will bite you in t he butt if you ever have to go to court.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
So, my "Trespassers will be compost" sign won't work and may get me into trouble??

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
The city of Columbus never did file charges after the fatal shooting of a drunk intruder who tried to get into a house bearing a sign that read, "we don't dial 911".

21 - 36 of 36 Posts