Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our rural neighborhood is having problems with thieves. Several homes have been burglarized along with a bit of mail theft. We had a community meeting and the sheriff came and offered assurances as best he could, but they're moving slow and are spread thin.

A lot of the ladies seemed worried about response time. At most there are 3 deputies on duty for the whole county, with no scheduled coverage after 2am.

What's the best way to organize a local response? I don't want some wannabee militia creating an Ahmaud Arbery situation, but I do believe in people protecting themselves and others in need. Seems like Neighborhood Watch is all about calling the police. People are already doing that and it isn't working yet.

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
Cameras, lots of cameras. A few well placed security cameras stopped our vandalism problem. But the person doing it was a distant neighbor and was damaging only our property.

Cameras won't stop all thefts. Some are pretty brazen about taking things because they either conceal their faces or they know the courts don't prosecute petty theft.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
cameras lots and lots of cameras is exactly the answer

slow response times are part of budget cuts and the shortage of qualified officers

they call them car shoppers here or did , lots of people in small town rural WI would leave doors unlocked , the crooks would drive in some 30 miles from a near by city and go shopping prescriptions , change , tools , wallets , any thing left in a car or truck.

it took some very fast response times by our local pd in town and not the sheriff and people helping out calling it in to catch them

municipalities have issues with setting up cameras

private citizens do not you can set a game cameras up that watches your mail box and takes stills if it happens to watch the street in front of your house as a result of watching your mail box and that captures all the license plates coming and going from your one way in one way out road it can do a lot to help an investigation

·
Realist
2,986 Posts
In a small town like the one near me, word of mouth is best. Of course, there are cameras deluxe, every house on my road has one or more , some of which I bought! Anything goes wrong here, we'll have pictures!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Motion activated solar LED spotlights work wonders, especially if you have access to a bucket to install them way up high. Co-locate cameras if you want.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I get nervous when I hear a car/truck slowing in front of the house...(nearest neighbors are 1/4 mile in each direction). We have had a dog stolen out of our farm yard minutes after I left him out..they went so far as bringing his collar back, and setting on our front porch a few days later. A camera would have helped greatly in that situation.

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
In addition to cameras if you can afford them, is neighbors getting together and looking out for each other.

We keep tabs on folks here, and if there is a disturbance, neighbors will scramble to help with a quick call on the phone or shout on the CB. If we see something unusual, we call someone and then check it out.

Sheriff is aware of how we handle things, and endorses our little ad hoc neighborhood watch.

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
I think I would have to shoot a dog thief.

Someone stole my mom's dog once. The dog managed to find her way home a few days later but was never right in the head afterward.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
definitely if you trust your neighbors , keep up with them , set up a group chat by text if you have good cell service. at least have their phone numbers,

I am friends with our immediate neighbors my kitchen window looks out at the front of their house and garage and theirs looks back at my garage , they can't see if their garage door is open but I can if it is getting on toward dark I will text them garage door open,
a couple times they left to visit family up north and the garage door didn't close , I can call them up and let them know they tell me to go close it.
her sister lives next door but same side of the road so they don't see things like the garage door.

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
definitely if you trust your neighbors , keep up with them , set up a group chat by text if you have good cell service. at least have their phone numbers,

I am friends with our immediate neighbors my kitchen window looks out at the front of their house and garage and theirs looks back at my garage , they can't see if their garage door is open but I can if it is getting on toward dark I will text them garage door open,
a couple times they left to visit family up north and the garage door didn't close , I can call them up and let them know they tell me to go close it.
her sister lives next door but same side of the road so they don't see things like the garage door.
Yet another example of how good neighbors are the best insurance you can have!

Reactions: altair

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
Yet another example of how good neighbors are the best insurance you can have!
yes good neighbors are great one of my other neighbors has called me when her husband fell , Pete , can you come help me get Mat back in his bed , he was terminally ill an they didn't have in home care yet they did shortly after that have a in home assistant till he passed

she is a nurse but you need either one very strong person or 2 to do a team lift to get a person off the floor

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Motion activated solar LED spotlights work wonders, especially if you have access to a bucket to install them way up high. Co-locate cameras if you want.
Cameras
Warning Signs
Dogs
Guns
Lights
In that order
I am probably in the minority. I have no light at night.
We do have camaras with a phone app to turn on a spot light, but my thinking is like this.
Two houses, one lit up, the other in complete darkness. Which one am I, the nare do well, going to hit? The one I can see stuff, or the one I am having to feel around, crack my shin, and come up on an unseen growling, with no clear path to escape?
That doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Cameras, and police reports. Then when the court turns them loose, or a slap on the wrist, get local media involved. You are never going to get rid of thieves, but you can make them leave you alone.

The local police are not responsible for your safety, you are.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Seems like Neighborhood Watch is all about calling the police. People are already doing that and it isn't working yet.
When I bought my first house it was in a middle class blue collar neighborhood. Being in a city of 90,000 it had some sketchy parts of town,which is where 90% of the problems would come from. Anyway I started a neighborhood watch in my neighborhood. Alderman was there as well as a city police officer to give us tips and info at our first meeting. About a month later a widow that lives up the block calls me and says her newly painted garage got gang symbols painted on it the night before. I called the police to report it, as we were told to do. Cop shows up and has an attitude right off the bat. “What do you expect us to do”,”Why are you calling, it’s your neighbors garage” blah blah, blah. I don’t think I ever called them again, seriously. Figured I’d just handle it myself.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Anyone in the neighborhood own a backhoe?
We live in the country but on our road there is a section about a bit under a half mile where there are eight houses along the one side.
We are in the middle of the row.
We all look out for each other.
People sort of know not to screw around.
The cops are always 45 minutes away.
Alot can happen in 45 minutes.

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
Anyone in the neighborhood own a backhoe?
We live in the country but on our road there is a section about a bit under a half mile where there are eight houses along the one side.
We are in the middle of the row.
We all look out for each other.
People sort of know not to screw around.
The cops are always 45 minutes away.
A lot can happen in 45 minutes.
Backhoes are helpful, so are deeply wooded areas.

And pig farms.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,843 Posts
Cameras help but they hinge on slow-moving and sometimes ineffective bureaucracy just like calling the police. My husband's wallet was stolen at a gym and the woman was caught on camera using his cards. It was definitely determined to be her. It took a long time for her court docket and I bet she was given a brief slap on the wrist, if that.

My husband meanwhile had to replace all his cards, pay for a new driver's license, and endure that breach of personal security.

Motion detecting lights and alarms, no trespassing signs, can you post your land too and maybe get Fish and Game in on the action too?

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I live near the end of ten miles of bad dirt road, not gravel road dirt road. If I was to call 911 after 5:00 pm I could expect a Deputy to show up in an hour and a half or so. Or I could take care of it myself, and spend the hour and a half sleeping. :sleep:

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
Cameras help but they hinge on slow-moving and sometimes ineffective bureaucracy just like calling the police. My husband's wallet was stolen at a gym and the woman was caught on camera using it his cards. It was definitely determined to be her. It took a long time for her court docket and I bet she was given a brief slap on the wrist, if that.

My husband meanwhile had to replace all his cards, pay for a new driver's license, and endure that breach of personal security.

Motion detecting lights and alarms, no trespassing signs, can you post your land too and maybe get Fish and Game in on the action too?
I'm sorry your hubby's wallet was stolen.

Just out of curiosity. I wonder what would have happened if you would have sued her in civil court for the expenses you incurred trying to replace the stolen items.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts