Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We go to the land every day to feed the dog and check on the chickens. THey have a small chicken door so they can come out and free range during the day and put themselves back to lay and go to bed.

Well, yesterday we arrived to the neighbor's dog trotting off with a chicken in his mouth. My dog jumped him, but he got away and ran home. Of the 11 chickens that we had (7 of Fla Gla's and 4 of mine), only 2 of each of ours remained. Kimmie and Crashy are gone! :Bawling: :flame:

It seems that now that I'm not there and Fla Gal isn't there, the neighbor has just turned his mutts loose to run again. Fla Gal says they come to the property at the end of the road where she is now.

Then here's another turn of events. Her boss came down the road about 30 minutes after I left and said there was corn all over the road at the top of my driveway. The peice of crappola is baiting the chickens to get them to the road so his dogs can kill them. Then her boss told her that my goats had been down at his poultry house for 2-2/12 weeks a few months ago! SO WHY DIDN'T HE SAY ANYTHING THEN!!! :flame: Evidently, the idiot's dog chased my goats into the woods and they got lost and came out on his property. He knew those goats were mine and he never said a word. He said they were there and then they just disappeared. :grump: :Bawling: My babies were there and probably left trying to find home. We have coyotes, at least one bear and at least one big cat. My poor babies. They had on collars with name tags that had my name, address and phone number. He could have let me know they were there.

I am seriously considering selling my land. I don't know if I want to live around any of that trash on that road.

I called the police about the dog yesterday. They are having animal control come and set a trap for the dog. If he gets caught in the trap, I'm blowing his brains out. :flame:

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I'm so sorry at the loss of your animals. I hope you do get that dog and the neighbor deserves double what you're going to give the dog.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Sandra, I am so sorry that you are having to put up with some one's ignorance. You are the only one that can decide when enough is enough. I tend to get stubborn and bull up when things like this happen, but you have been through so much with this idiot. Personally I would hate to see him "win", but after a point it just is prudent to do what you have to. I would welcome you as a neighbor any day! Makes me wish I could send over some great big guys to "talk" to him and "persuade" him that he should move if he doesn't like having you as a neighbor. OK, violence only begets violence... I know.. but hey a girl can dream can't she? We will keep on praying for y'all. You have to know in your heart that if this is of God, you moving, then He will have something so much better for you down the road!
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
People need to keep there own animals on there own property and not burden other people with their livestock.

Chickens, dogs, cats, hogs, horses, ducks, goats, cows, calves, etc. etc. etc.

Keep them in your own property and you will have better neighbors.

They got out is no excuse and pay for the damage they do.

Good fences make for good neighbors ! ! !

If you can't keep them on your own property, get rid of them.

Others don't want them or they would buy their own, or more of what they want.

Mine are healthy and yours may not be, and could cause me trouble with yours maybe having some kind of disease and be sick.

Be a good owner ! ! !

bumpus.

·
Registered
627 Posts
When we lived out in the country...my chickens would 'go to work' in an abandoned field...they would eat the bugs and stuff over in the brush...a lady whose land was next to the field took it upon herself to shoot my chickens with a cross bow. Then, another neighbors dogs came into my yard and killed my pet goat...I was really glad to get back to Detroit!!!! :flame:

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,847 Posts
Sandra,
As disappointing as it is, I agree with you. This situation isn't worth the heartache. Sell and find a new place. Your improvements have increased the value of the land, so you should see some profit.

Shake the dust from your sandals.

Huggs,
Rose

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Sandra, I am so sorry to read about your continuing problems with that jerk. You know, I am as stubborn as the come and not easily intimidated...but at some point, I would think it might be best to cut your losses and leave. Your poor animals keep paying the price and this man is not going to leave you alone. Dang, that just really ticks me off for you...

·
Premium Member
23,917 Posts
Maybe some gun totin', beer guzzlin', bonfire burnin', LOUD rock-n-roll fans will want to buy your place if you do decide to sell. That's the kind of neighbor your neighbor needs. Oh, yeh, don't forget about junk car collectin'. It's the "new" art.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Bait your property with dog food from the road to lead them to the dog trap.

Drive the trapped dog(s) a 100 miles away and turn him into an animal shelter as a stray. Just drop him off and don't give your name. Otherwise, the guy will pay a fine and get the dog(s) back.

RF

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's been trying to sell for over a year. His wife has land that her grandfather left her a couple of counties over. So they are wanting to move there. He's not able to sell because he's over priced his house. The land has appreciated greatly since I bought it. Land is selling for double to triple what I paid for it. I should get a nice profit. I'd still like to stay in this area. I like the town and my oldest DD likes her jobs here. In fact, both girls were just saying a couple of days ago, how this is home now. I'm going to see if I can find land for an affordable price before I commit to sell.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
See if someone wanting to start an industrial sized pig farm, or chicken house establishment would like to trade land to you. Maybe they have some with restrictions against commercial farming.

You know what I think...
Angie

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Think about this before you sell.

Just about the time you sell your property this man will sell his proprerty and now you will regret you sold your land which you like.

bumpus

·
chickaholic goddess
2,740 Posts
Crashy and Kimmie are gone!!!! :Bawling: Ok thats it!!!Get the heck out of there. You have tried to be nice , you have tried to be mean. Just get rid of it, its not worth all the stuff you have gone through. There are other places you can buy. He will get his one day.....

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes Crashy, Crashy and Kimmie are gone. I knew you'ld be upset about your namesake. Fla Gal is madder than a wet hornet. :flame: Bumpus, I have thought about that. It would be my luck that as soon as I sell, the jerk sells his. It's hard to find smaller tracts in this area now. And even though the larger tracts are cheaper for acre, they are too expensive. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. My pines are now a marketable size and I have a logger that is coming to clear 10-12 acres as soon as the market opens back up for pines in the fall. Unless I go quite a bit for the land, I could lose money selling. I don't need to sell high, only to buy high. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
You could "Camp out" and shoot the dogs. A .22 short round makes very little noise. Then drop the dogs on the highway and run over them a few times.

The owner will never suspect that the dogs were shot...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts