Neighbor training works.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by alleyyooper, Jun 15, 2005.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

:haha: Finally got some thing set straight.
    County redid the road widening it. I planted a bunch of wild flowers when they finished. They were doing real well and about to start blooming when we went on vacation. When we got back every thing was mowed down. Never found out who or why it was done. Second year same thing flowers about to bloom went on vacation came home to mowed ditch again. Again no one fessed up to it.
    Third year didn't go on vacation till latter in the summer. Caught the guy mowing the ditch. Said he didn't likes the looks of the weeds in the ditch across from his house.
    I told him I didn't like fresh mowed lawns either. I would be right over to his front yard with the tractor and three bottom plow. :D I just love the smell of fresh turned dirt. He said I couldn't do that because it was his land :haha: watch me. I also said dito to this ditch beeing mine so if he wants to keep the lawn stay out of my ditch. He has stayed at home every since. He knows I would do it as I don't believe in bluffing because people soon get the Idea they can do what they want and you have to put up with it.
    :haha: Want police protection? Build a donut shop next to your home.
    :D Al

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Good for you. I hate it when people mow down my flowers. When the donkeys do it, I just accept it. I can't believe he tresspassed on your property. :soap:

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Our first year here an elderly neighbor helped us by trimming under our trees that are 15 feet on our side of the line. He said he was doing us a favor and he loved a golf course lawn. I was so furious at his taking down things I planted there (!!!) that my SO had to do the educating ("please don't trim here as we have planted things. Appreciate the gesture, but there's no need") while I stayed back and smoked a pipe (herb blend-not pot or tobacco) which stunned him, as he'd never seen a woman smoke a pipe. All kinds of educating that evening. But all done politely and it was over with.

If this were to happen again I'd ask the neighbors who did it. That means you'd have knocked on his door and asked him. Sometimes communication solves the problem best. No need to threaten. I'd rather have a neighbor who wasn't ticked off at me and one who'd join me in the informal neighborhood watch, than one who might let the robbers pull the van up and rip me off blind cause he was ticked. Just my 2 cents.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we have had that problem with our neighbour the last couple of years . his dad was well mannered(we trained him) looks like junior will need training too! this one uses herbicide though. thought it was the hydro co. but last year our fence brace panel disapeared same bright spark gettin bolder!