neighbor needs help with sick dog-hurry

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NancyinArkansas, Sep 15, 2004.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

She cant afford to take this dog to the vet and he has nt ate for 4 days and he is staggery and dont do anything but stare and he drinks a large amount of water and vomited it up and he has acess to raw sewage -could he have drink that--plese dont coment on the sewage--we cant do anything about that--just help the dog if you can--thank you Nancy

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Could be a bowl obstruction?Does he like to chew on sticks/balls/what ever?
    If this is the case he will most likely need a vet/surgery to remove it.
    Cooked bones of any kind can cause this!

Could be poisoning but im not to sure.What all could or would be in the sewage?House hold cleaners id assume.Anything else. We also had a kitchen sink that drained in the field one time,but you couldn't get one of our dogs to drink from it they seemed to no it was no good.

A couple of normal asprin will ease any pain but im not sure you should give them to him considering you dont no whats wrong.But non the less if you think he is in pain it might help ease it a little.Anyone else want to comment on this?Please!

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Exiting material info needed, what is the situtation about that? Sloppy, solid, non existing?

4. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Saw a dog that had drunk antifreeze act like that. They need to get this animal to a vet.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I also think the dog needs to see a vet NOW...worry about the bill later. Most vets will let you make payments on a bill.

6. bonnie in indiana

bonnie in indiana Well-Known Member

My Sister is in Georgia and her friend is going through the same thing. The dog stayed at the vet for a few days and still is not right.

The VET siad the DOG WAS POISONED------------probably by eating mushrooms. The weather there has been wet all summer and there are lots of mushrooms//toadstools.

I do know the dog is getting better, but do not know what the vet gave the dog.

I hope in some small way this comment may help.

7. NancyinArkansas

I just called her and she cant find the dog-maybe he just went off like sick animals do-she sure feels bad about this-someone left him with her while they were gone and this happens-life is hard -he was about 9 months old and had his puppy shots-thank you -nancy

8. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

If you find the dog just feed him a little boiled in water hamburger with a little cooked brown rice for a couple of days. Just feed about a cup a day to start in two or three meals, then on second day go to two cups on up. Give bottled distilled water to drink for a week. If dog starts to get better and holds down hamburger rice give a little plain yogurt.

9. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Anemia will also have those symptoms. Vitamins and a shot.. only the vet can help! (My first Grt. Pyre was a female -the runt- and I had her sister too, who had not problems!) It was just a weird genetic feature. She was smaller and didn't grow in the month or two I had her.

10. NancyinArkansas

Well he came home yesterday and is acting his normal self--i thank all of you who tried to help-i guess we ll never know what he got in to--nancy

11. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Nancy,

I'm glad the dog is doing fine. fwiw, my German Shephard would act this way after a snake bite. Lethargic and sick for a few days and then back to normal.

Michael.