Neighbor asking $95,000 for 7 rough Acres

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Boleyz, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

The land that borders mine is up for sale! I got all excited...I've only got 5 acres here on my home-site. The neighboring land across the fence is 7 acres.

About 4 of it is steep hillside and includes a power-line cut. I figured I could us it for some extra pasture. The realtor in charge goes to church with me.

He told me the guy is crazily asking $95,000.00. We're talking mostly hillside pasture without even a nice place really, for a house if anyone wanted to build on it.

I dunno if the mineral rights are included, but I suspect not, since one family owns all the gas wells in this area.

My 5 acre place has a new house, barn, and shop building and is completely fenced. My total outlay for land, house and outbuildings was $156,000.00. If his sells for $95,000, I'm gonna put my place up for $250,000 and make a $100,000.00 profit.

Then, I'll build again...What would you do?

2. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

Make a much lower offer on it and keep offering til he sells out for a price that is reasonable !!

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Exactly. Find out the 'going rate' and offer less than that.

4. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I have 8 acres next to me for sale. $280,000. It just went up from $225,000. The 3 acres and 1970 trailer next to me just sold for 157,000.

7 for $95,000 is looking good.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

There's a whale of a difference between Askin, and Gittin..

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I dont think making a much lower offer will work 95k is way way out of line. My grandpa bought a 150 acre farm with a house for 25k in 75 and paid for it by logging the old growth trees in eastern KY. I think you will do better selling your place for 200k and coming to AR Boyleyz really it is almost the same as KY where I am and lot sof the folks in AR came out of KY a long time ago.

7. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

It a'int 1975 no more. Kinda wish I had a time machine, tho

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    $13,571.43 per acre? For raw land? No further comments.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

The problem is that California people are fleeing to the rest of the country and bringing their over inflated prices with them. Florida people are fleeing hurricanes and willing to pay to get out before they are blown out. A lot of baby boomers are retiring, and they have an idea of what they want and what they are willing to pay, and what USED to be the norm in any area doesn't matter any more.

A parcel of land near my place in Missouri went for over twice what locals would pay.....to Florida retirees.

My advice is decide what you can afford and are willing to pay and make the offer. They can only say no, and you'll have it on the table if the price comes down.

10. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Boleyz - $95,000 will buy a mountain of hay, LOL. If it's a bigger ranch you desire - GO WEST YOUNG MAN, LOL :)

11. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

It is unbelievable isn't it??

This land is right down the road from me! 37 Unimproved Acres EEEKKK!

12. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

When we bought our 80 acres we paid $500 an acre for it. Now this was just pasture ground. There's no water out here, you either have to pump out of a pond or haul water. Now the land around is selling for $2000 an acre. I can't imagine paying that much for just land. Glad we bought ours a long time ago, but now we're wanting to buy some more land for cattle but we can't afford it. I guess land is going the route of everything else, up, up, up, up!

13. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

I may put in a lower offer...The thing is, I paid just $29,900 for my 5 acres of raw land.

It had no water, no electricity and no mineral rights. I bought it 3 years ago and now live on it in my new home.

I was stunned at a $95,000.00 asking price for the adjacent 7 acres. I'd like to have it...it might even be worth $35,000 - $40,000. But $95K? Way out of line IMO.

Jnap, thanks for the invitation to Ark, but we live and work here. That's one more reason I think it's going to be very hard for the "Let's Buy Land Together" thing to actually work.

People need employment, and often in remote places, there simply is none.

'Course, my wife is an RN and can literally find work ANYWHERE, but I pastor a nice church, and we're very happy here.

I'd REALLY like to own the place next door, but it's doubtful I ever will.

It's just the "farmer" in me...have you ever heard the saying about farmers and land?

"Farmers don't want ALL the land, they just want all the land that joins them".

14. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

15 years ago we paid 2500. an acre.bought 2 acres.5years ago we bought 15 acres paid12000. an acre.We just sold that property for 24,000. an acre.and bought 30 acres hope it holds cause while we made a purty profit we are paying in blood for this 30 acres.Tried to talk my husband into moving and couldn't.He has been here all of his life .We were marked as one of the top 5 retirement communities in the nation.I thought when people retired they built little cabins in the country not the taj-ma-hal. :shrug:

15. George in NH

George in NH Well-Known Member

Land prices in my neck of the woods is outragous. We had our place appraised two years ago, the appraisal came in at $40,000 per acre; too bad we only have two acres. It is our view that makes our two acres so expensive. We live on the side of a mountain and for as far as the eye can see there are farms, hills, mountains and a beautiful sky with spactacular sunsets. The view from our front door is almost entirely of Vermont even though we live in New Hampshire. It was just ten years ago that the property was appraised at $20,000 per acre. We toy with the idea of selling but always decide to hang onto it even longer. We don't live in anything grand; we had a custom built manufatured home built. It has lots and lots of flor to ceiling windows to take advantage of the scenery. We live in a town with million dollar homes that sell in a heartbeat. If a home goes on the market it is almost always sold within three months; most homes sell instantly. Lots and lots of wealthy people from New York, Boston and other big cities settle in our town. Maine street is lined with mansions. I always joke that we are the gardeners for the rich people since we don't live in a mansion. Even the rich people say they are envious of our view. I am almost embarrassed at the price we paid for this place with it's run down buildings and piles of trash that had gathered for 30 years, but if all keeps going in the dirction it has been going then we will have made a good investment. We only have eight more years until it is paid for.

I often think back to when my mother and step father bouth a beautiful famhouse with a huge barn sitting on 12 acres for $15,000 (this was 1968) I can't imagine what that place would have sold for today.

16. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

17. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Mpillow, "Meat in the Freezer"??? :rotfl: Very lovely, though.

Prices seem to be out of line almost everywhere (except AR, as Jnap keeps telling us!), but as Uncle Will pointed out, askin' ain't gettin'.

Still, I wish I could ask a bit more for our WI land AND get it! ;) But I would never price myself out of the market that way, nor try to drive the market up like that. A fair profit on real estate is fine; highway robbery is just wrong.

Boleyz, if you low-ball him, make sure he's not offended. Some folk get so angry when you come in with a low figure, they swear by the moon and stars that they'll let the land go to ANYONE but YOU. Real estate is pretty emotional for some folk. :shrug:

Pony!

18. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

When I bought out here, my land was $7,500 an acre. now just 3 years later, it's going for $15,000 and acre for unimproved. My neighbor just got $13,500 for her land and there are no improvements. It's just crazy. I was looking online to get ideas of what a fair price to ask was, so I keyed in my zip code. I about fell out of my chair. I'm still asking what I think is fair, I don't care what everyone else is asking.

19. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

If the buyer and seller agree to the price there is no robbery of any kind involved! The proper term is fair mkt. price. Just because we think that something is overpriced it does not mean that it is.

20. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

where is that guy from? over 12000 an acre!!!!. . In my neck of Kentucky the going rate is 2000 bucks per acre and we thought that was going high. a nice hillside with a view was just sold by owner for 1000 dollars an acre. they just bushhogged it and it really is pretty. Of course I don't know which prime area of Ky you are located in.