Neglected hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by daycab, Jan 16, 2005.

1. daycab

daycab Well-Known Member

Due to poor planning and a bad work schedule, I was only able to inspect my 2 year old hives one time last year. I really want to "get with the program", but Iam not sure how to deal with the mess that is waiting for me. Help!

2. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Wait until it's warm enough to inspect them and see what you have. Hard to give advice if we don't know how they're looking.

3. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Last year I obtained a couple of hives from the widow of a beekeeper...both unworked for several years. Agreed...wait until the weather is warm enough to get in for a good inspection. My experience was: a lot of time spent with a friend inspecting frame by frame and scraping...sraping...scraping. There was not much space that was not filled with comb. The biggest challenge was getting the first frame out. After going through the first hive I was tired and did the second hive another day. They both had good strong laying queens that I actually got to see during the inspections. Just take your time while working and take your can or box to put your wax scrapings in.