needy, noisy nubians

Discussion in 'Goats' started by valsey, Jun 4, 2006.

1. valsey

valsey *

is there a quick, easy way that I can cut the vocal chords on my nubians?

Just kidding - sort of

Are they all so vocal? I'm ready to strangle them. The toggenburg isn't like this - but she's quickly learning to be...

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

:happy:

I eleminated all the Nubians from my herd, problem solved!

I now am very happy with my much quiter LaManchas. In fact, I not only cull for poor udders, poor conformation and poor personality, but also, irritating voices. I just don't want goats around that drive me up the wall!

3. valsey

valsey *

Smart.

how many in your herd?

4. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Amen ! No point in living with the irritation of that bawling...! My buck was quiet ,but the girls were not...Its the clincher..! GrannieD

5. valsey

valsey *

Nubians, yes?

Lord - they sound like out of tune, amplified clairinets!

I guess the sellers must have felt the same way and now I have to deal with it.

6. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

I like Alpines or Saanens,but have had some nubian halfbreds as well as purebreds & milked for a dairy where I live..I tell anyone starting out that this is a characteristic & if it makes a problem to get a different breed..Mine would hear the house door close & start calling expecting their dinner...sometimes it wasn't dinnertime...Some a worse than others about calling..But they are soooo pretty !! GrannieD

7. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

I have 1 silent Nubian (She only bawled when I left her at the show) and 1 3/4 nubian doeling who is very quiet and 2 mini nubians who are silent.
    So, not ALL nubians are noisy.
    ~Carrie C.

8. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I have nubians. Seems like they are noisiest - most vocal as youngsters. Mine matured out of it. All my does over a year are quiet. Even their call is quiet - or nearly silent. Maybe the baaled themselves permanently hoarse? lol

I did cull two noisy ones - but they only called for breakfast in the morning - no other times. I have one that will yell when in heat - but I consider that a good thing as it makes heat distinction a snap.

One of the does I leased as a yearling first freshener - and she was LOUD. DH called her 'our' velociraptor. lol. Warned me about keeping her due to her noise, loaded all the milkers on a trailer back to the breeder, to babysit while we went on a trip.....when my boys learned that Blue wasn't coming back - there were real TEARS. She came back, and thankfully, grew out of the velociraptor phase.

Niki

9. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

My 3/4 Nubian has gotten louder since she kidded 3 weeks ago, she wasn't too bad before that. The worst are my Nigerians! Especially the buck. My Saanen and Alpine are very quiet.

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Lamanchas:

1 adult milker (will be bred this fall)....actually 1/4 Boer
    2 First fresheners about ready to kid (will be bred again this fall)
    3 three month old doelings (that will be bred this fall)
    1 buck, a new one, who will be arriving shortly

MiniManchas:
    2 five month old doelings (will breed in fall of '07 with a borrowed MiniMancha)

Boers:
    1 2nd freshening Doe, about to kid (will be bred this fall)
    1 LaBoer 3 month old ...Lamancha / Boer cross (will be bred this fall)
    1 Fullblood Boer buck
    1 percentage Boer buckling 5 months old, for sale
    2 three month old wethers, sold, to be picked up

Other:
    1 Alpine / Spanish wether 10 years old, serves as a buddy to bucks

I have a total of 16 goats. I recently did some heavy culling, mainly the Boers. We have plenty of land, just need to put up some more field fencing. I have 1 milker now, will have 2 more in a few weeks and will be milking a total of 6 next spring. I will have a total of 8 does kidding next spring. Hopefully, all in one month.....March is the plan!

11. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

We have two oberhaslis/saanens that are very quiet. We breed them to a nubian each year and kept one of last years. My 1/2 nubian is WAY louder then the other two! She sounds like a complete idiot, yelling her head off. When the other two does were sent of for breeding, she yelled non stop until she lost her voice completey.

Thing is - I'm addicted to the ears so I think I'll always have part nubians. They're so cute. This would also be why I don't have La Manchas!

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

The first time I ever saw LaManchas was in the early to mid 90's. I really thought they were ugly and strange. The owner kept telling me that they were the sweetest goats she owned. i didn't care and kept raising my Nubians, trying to milk the ornery things and taking them to goat shows with the human kids.

Now, all these years later, i can't believe I didn't discover the virtues of LaManchas sooner. Gentle, sweet, willing, quiet, heavy milkers with long lactations. yes, Nubian ears are cute, but I got over it. I love my LaManchas and now goats WITH ears look weird to me! I had my little LaManchas at the vet, prior to my getting my own disbudding iron. He and the tech had never seen Lamanchas before and had never even heard of them. He ask quite seriously "What did you do to their ears!" He thought we had mutilated our own goats!

smwon likes this.
  13. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I believe the standard answer is "we cut them off to make soup"! :baby04:

14. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

I too am in love with my La Mancha. She is the queen of the herd and she does bawl, but it is very quiet in comparison to our alpine does and our nubian doe. The nubian doe is the worst, but she only realy gets going if you've taken a member of the herd out of the pen. Our nubian whether is very quiet, our boer buckling can be VERY loud, especially if you seperate him!

Our Lamancha also is our noisiest and meanest eater. She grunts the whole time and butts everyone out of the way! But I love her to death! And people do think we cut her ears off, too. I think she looks a little like an alien myself and love the nubian and boer look, best. But with the La Mancha temperament, I can overlook her alien attributes. It's a face only a "mama" could love!

They do grow on you!

kids

15. valsey

valsey *

Does anyone have Toggenburgs? I'm trying to decide which breed I'd like to focus on. I have 2 nubians and a tog now. I don't particularly care for how the nubians look OR act (though they are EXTREMELY loving. Their voices about send me over the edge. Really don't care for the LaMancha look (sorry), and the tog is the prettiest goat to me.

Problem is - here in the south she seems like she's going to die from this heat! While the nubians just lay around and lounge in the hot sun. Anyone else have this problem with the togs? She's also a bit skittish and I've heard that they (as a breed) can be. So I'm thinking about Alpines...do they tolerate the heat well? And the noise level?

16. Sasha

Sasha Well-Known Member

My Nubians are pretty quiet--unless they are separated from each other! Then they don't shut up.

My doe is a hard milker, too. She's a real good one to send the bucket flying with a swift kick.

17. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

As far as heat tolerance goes, the Nubians and the LaManchas do best in the heat as they are both were establihed in warmer climates. Toggs, Alpines, Saanens, and Oberhaslis are all "Swiss" goats and were developed in Europe, they are just not as heat tolerant.

18. valsey

valsey *

ugh....I gotta move AGAIN!

(can't hardly stand the heat here myself)

19. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

20. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Valsey, I have toggs in Missouri and yes we have problems with the heat. 2 years ago our dog groomer suggested get them shaved just like sheep. they love it! They have gotten so they don't put up a fuss when the time comes and the hair grows back before winter. Keep the lice control down too. Had the groomer show me how to do it and now I do the dog, the llamas and the togg myself, saves alot of money and everyone is happy.
    by the way I also have nubians and they all grew out of the load yelling after 2 years old. One bloodline doesn't make any sound except a soft mewling. So I think it is the bloodlines that carry the loud mouths!

jr05