Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Life has been crazy busy here on the farm. I decided to finally go for my dream of having a homemade Christmas, so I've been working on projects like a crazy person. I've talked to quite a few fiber people about flat needle felting and it seems like something people want to do, but are intimidated by. One of our fun projects at spinners guild was learning how to wet felt and needle felt. I wet felted a pair of slippers, then needle felted designs onto them. I thought some of you might be interested in giving it a try. I've attached a link to my blog post if you want to take a look.

One of my gift projects is needle felting trivets for family members. Its been fun choosing designs I think each person will enjoy. If anyone is interested and would like any other info, I'm happy to offer my enthusiastic, if not highly experienced, advice!

http://redmonwoods.com/2014/10/17/needle-felting-my-slippers/

·
Registered
714 Posts
That is really cool MamaRed! I've seen a couple of threads on felting here. I've never tried it but it looks quite impressive now that I've seen the technique and the results. Keep up the great work! And more pics please!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Osiris. It really is fun and relaxing. I've started using "coloring book" pictures from the internet to find designs. They're easy to trace and you can add as much detail as you want. I wish I could draw my own, but I didn't get that gene.:confused:

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
MamaRed those are beautiful slippers! Please poste pictures of your trivets and other needle felting. MDKatie has done some beautiful flat needle felting.

Orisis there is wet felting and needle felting. With wet felting you have to have a wool or fiber that will shrink/felt and not all will do that. With needle felting you can use just about any fiber and it does not need to have the ability to felt. Wet felting tends to be much sturdier and is approperate for foot wear and other hard wearing items. It is also messy :D. Lots of hot water and soap and slopping around.

Needle felting tends to be fairly fragile, you could not needle felt an entire slipper and expect it to hold up with daily use (I don't think). It is great for embellishing other thing, sweaters, scarves, shoes ..... You can needle felt small items like flowers to be sewn onto things. You use very sharp needles that look sort of like a big porcupine quil and they can be dangerous so you need to be very careful. But, having said that its a great activity for kids, both forms are actually.

Reactions: Kasota and Osiris

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are instructions for wet felting flat pieces. All the wools I've used work really well. Inhavent had much luck with alpaca, other than using a layer inside my slippers.

I recently read instructions where someone threw their rolled up felting project in the dryer, no heat, for 10 minutes at a time, to replace the rolling steps. I made some of that yesterday and it worked great!

http://redmonwoods.com/2014/11/12/wet-felt-for-other-projects/

·
Registered
3,362 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kasota, nuno felting is next on my list. I may be getting a drum career this weekend. Then I'll be able to run thin alpaca batts and use those. Thanks for sharing the link! I was going to need to look for some direction.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WIHH, the stabilizer method is how I learned. Initially, I thought that was how everybody does it. I've found that most people I talk to, have never heard of it. I'm so lucky to have our spinners guild!

·
Interrobanger
5,656 Posts
I am enrolled in a dry needle felting class the second week of December!!! I have needles and I have a mat, I have done "some" dry felting, I just have never had any instruction, so here I go - down another rabbit hole. :teehee:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4QdukDAEd...0/needle+felted+owl+workshop+flyer-page-0.jpg

This gal is really talented, I have drooled over her wares at the Celtic festival we spin at. I am really looking forward to this class.

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
I am really excited to learn the tips and tricks for felting 3D thingees - like owls and gnomes and stuff like that. :teehee:
My #1 tip is: The needle goes WAY farther into the felt than you ever would think (and with very little effort), so watch your fingers. :D

Other than that, it's trial and error. Felting is very forgiving, and you can pull stuff out/off and redo it pretty easily.

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
LOL Orisis! WIHH's daughter isa doctor, Dr. Autumn who is the mom of our little Lucy Noodle (Nichole, I misread it as noodle) and soon another baby. Just to bring you up to speed here :kiss:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts