needed: natural pest repellant

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by busybee870, May 21, 2006.

1. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

what do you use to keep insects from chewing up your plants? Dont want chemicals.

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Cayenne water. Soapy water. Your forefinger and thumb.

3. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I use a product called diatec organic. It's made from DE and Pyrethrin (african Daisy extract). It works extremly well for me, and the 1 pound bottle goes a long way. Plus, since they didn't have a distributor near me, I ordered from them directly. They had it here in 3 days.

Oh, I also purchased the chapin dust mizer to apply it with (I didn't have a similar tool). VEry handy little product. A friend of mine used some of it on her roses and used a feather duster to apply it, and that worked fine for her.

http://www.diatectresults.com/diatectv.html

Nikki

4. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

thanks yall, but Mama, the pyrethrin is dangerous to bees i read

5. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Last year I used Murphy's Oil Soap and water in a spray bottle. I used it on everything and it worked very well...I didn't even have hornworms on my tomatoes...a first for me!

6. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

teresab, what are your Murphy's oil soap to water proportions?

7. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

GARLIC SPRAY:
    Soak 1/2 cup crushed garlic cloves in 1/2 cup vegetable oil for one week. Add a little liquid soap and dilute the mixture - 1 part mixture to 10 parts water. Garlic spay will kill and repel aphids, woolly aphids, bean fly, stink bugs, crickets, grasshoppers, red spider mite, sawfly larvae, scale, snails, slugs, thrips and caterpillars, mosquitoes and ticks, the adult moths of leaf-miners and mealy bugs. It is an effective fungicide when used 3-4 times a week against potato blight and damping off.
    OR
    Crush 100g garlic, 2 chillies and 2 onions and cover with water for 24 hours. Strain and add enough water to make up 2 litres.

PYRETHRUM SPRAY:
    The concentration of pyrethrums is at its peak when the flowers are in full bloom, from the time the first row of florets open on the central disk opens to the time all the florets are open. Add 1 litre of boiling water to half a cup of firmly packed flowers. Leave to cool, strain and add 1 teaspoon of pure soap. Shake well before use. Spray only in early morning or evening when bees are not active, and never in temperatures more than 32C. You will need to use the spray or dust every day until the infestation is over. It deteriorates in sunlight. The spray is useful against aphids, woolly aphids, scale, spider mites, thrips, whitefly, codling moth, cabbage loopers, caterpillars, earwigs, leaf-miners, millipedes, some beetles, spiders, termites and slaters, spiders, termites, weevils, grasshoppers, stink bugs, thrips, gnats, mosquitoes, tomato pinworms, spider mites and crickets. In the house, the spray will eradicate fleas and spiders. Combine with soap to kill lice (test for skin sensitivity first.) The spray may stain some fabrics. Dried pyrethrum flowers can be ground to a powder and used as a dust.

8. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

Anybody know the Murphy's oil soap to water proportions? Is it 1TB to 1 gallon water? I really want to try it and soon. My beans are getting eaten already and they are just out of the ground :(

9. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

Here is what I found online in regards to the Murphy's oil soap proportions
    1 Tablespoon Murphys oil soap
    3 Tablespoons Cayenne pepper (Tabasco may also be used)
    1 Quart warm water
    Mix all together well and spray on plants.
    This also helps repel insects.

I have also heard that if you add a tablespoon of vegetable oil it will cling to the plants better.
    Hope that helps!

10. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Does this wash off your veggies easily? I would sure hate to have murphy's oil soap/tabasco tasting veggies!

kids

11. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband mixed as above and the Cayenne pepper doesn't dissolve enough to go through the hand sprayer. It stopped it up and he can't get it to work again. Maybe the Tabasco would work ok, but the Cayenne pepper won't spray.

12. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

will cayenne/tobasco work on ants too?

13. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Then do the bees avoid African Daisies? I seem to recall a very large bumbler hanging around the osteospermums just the other day...

Maybe it's the concentration?

Hm. I have used pyrethrin products in the garden before... Better go see what's up...

{Pony trots off to Google}

Pony!