NEEDED: Brandywine plants (tomatoes) Maine

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mpillow, May 25, 2006.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

UGH!!!

My order at the local greenhouse for 48plants was sold.....I have to have Brandywines! There is no substitute (in my book)

And trust me...next year I'll be starting my own :flame:

I'll be calling around but if anyone knows where to get some PLEASE let me know....

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Wait, are you in Maine or China? LOL.

Anyway... you might look in your local garden centers. I was surprised this year at how many Lowe's/Home Depot type places had heirlooms. I saw lots of Brandywines.

3. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Oh man, I feel for you :Bawling: I have about 36 started out on the porch. Mine should have been in the ground a couple weeks ago, but I got started late. Same thing last year, I had nearly a hundred started around the 1'st of march and a MOUSE got in them around April and nipped EVERY ONE OF Them! Had to start all over. Good luck. :)

4. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I'm surprised you can grow Brandywines in Maine. Here in Ohio I seem to have too short a growing season to do much with them. Earl's Faux Brandywine seems to be our best bet.

Maybe order from Parks?

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We have grown them for over 10 years! they usually end up over 8ft tall and give 2 pound tomatoes!

My husband is going to check out all the greenhouses between here and Rangeley on his way to camp...I hate to be at Walmart or Home Cheapo but I may have to :grump:

6. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Well, next year I'll give them another try! Already have too many seedlings this year....of course there's always room for one more (or six) :) :)