Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
West Central Minnesota
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found and purchased three very well built and deep pedigree Reg FB Boer does. One is a dau of Pipeline and other two are her daus by a son of HMR Sumo. The breeder is deliverying them in a week--they are 500 miles away. Bought from them before- trustworthy,
The breeder has two additional does-- Reg FB Boers-- older and showing their age on their top lines -- healthy snug udders...Again well pedigreed.
They are priced very reasonable...half price---- one is 10 years old and a dau of Oscar ennobled-- the other is 7 yrs old.
Should I take a chance on the two-- to get some fancy kids? Or is the10 yr old too old?

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Most everything is worth a chance at the right price! Are they healthy and at a good weight? What's their track record, and have they been subjected to the "three kiddings in two years (theory)" for the past four years and need a break?

"Fancy" doesn't mean squat if it is going to hurt the farm this winter... when hay/feed prices shoot up.

You stack that on top of a risky birth, oil prices through the roof, corn turning into a real commodity again, and then tack on a little global warming (just for giggles), and I still think it might be worth taking the chance of squeezing a couple of high-end kids out of the old girls if they are still looking good and healthy... but like I said in the beginning, "AT THE RIGHT PRICE!"

Can we take a gander at these old girls by any chance? Sometimes a picture is worth more than the praise.

Good luck regardless!
Wing

·
West Central Minnesota
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They both kidding this spring without any problems. Both had twins. Good track record on both. IN good health and good weight, On a once-a-year kidding and have recieved excellent care-- hoof trimming, feed ect.
Here in Minnesota where there are not a lot of Boers (versus Texas ect) Reg FB does with ennobled pedigrees are $400-500 Price on these $200 each or $300 for the pair.

Will try to get pics to post
Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a pretty good price I think even if you only get 1 little doe out of them and they are willing to deliver them to you....I wish I could be so lucky....currently here (WV) a yearling with no "enobled" lines sells for 250....so I really don't see how you could go wrong....

·
West Central Minnesota
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jerryf said:
I found and purchased three very well built and deep pedigree Reg FB Boer does. One is a dau of Pipeline and other two are her daus by a son of HMR Sumo. The breeder is deliverying them in a week--they are 500 miles away. Bought from them before- trustworthy,
The breeder has two additional does-- Reg FB Boers-- older and showing their age on their top lines -- healthy snug udders...Again well pedigreed.
They are priced very reasonable...half price---- one is 10 years old and a dau of Oscar ennobled-- the other is 7 yrs old.
Should I take a chance on the two-- to get some fancy kids? Or is the10 yr old too old?

Jerry
Thanks to those who responded, I am purchasing the 10 yr old doe. She is sired by Oscar ennobled and out of a Mojo Magic dam....excellent blood line. Deliverying is in one month. The owner has a buck by Collateral Damage out of doe by JRA1 Bo Howdy- 11 ennoblement on hos 3 gen pedigree and well built, I asked if the four does could be exposed to the buck....depends on if the buck is going to be shown in the next few weeks...if not I have a son of Gauge ennobled and Eggs Palina also a buck who is a son of Cannon and a Eggsfile doe.
Purchasing these 4 does is a great opportunity.
Jerry
http://www.fletcherthreeoaks.com

·
Registered
641 Posts
I wouldn't blink an eye at $300 for the pair. I'd come nearer doing that than I would on the $200 for one too....much better deal. Of course, a ten year old doe is always a gamble but if you can get her to kid one more time, it is likely you'll get at least one doe. I don't like buying things sight unseen but if you trust them, I'd go for it. I'd probably have asked questions about teats and such. Some of the best genetics still throw bad teats....I have proof!! LOL!! Congrats on getting into such a great deal and good luck to you on the does. Sometimes, that is the best way to get those types of genetics without taking a second mortgage on your home!! LOL!!

·
West Central Minnesota
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Top quality Boers with ennobled packed pedigree that have received excellent care........Milk-N-Honey I agree with you--I didn't have to mortagge my house to buy them!
Jerry

·
SarahJoy [loves her farm]
264 Posts
I'd get them too. They can breed for a few more years. The kids will cover their costs within a breeding season. Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts