Need your help buying a cargo van.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by r.h. in okla., Jan 9, 2007.

1. I've been looking for a good work van within the $8k to $10k range. Today I found a 2000 Ford Econoline with 143346 miles on it. It is in really good condition. No scratches or dings and the interior looks brand new. Real nice paint job. All white with a yellow and black strip running diagonally down the side from the top back to the lower front. Engine was all cleaned up so couldn't see any leaks or such. Very well kept, looks almost brand new. The milage is the only thing I'm concerned about and the price. They are asking $7799. for it. The Kelly blue book value says $6740 should be the starting price for the dealer.

Does that mean the dealer should ask for at least $6740 and no less. Should I try to get him down to $6740 or do you think $7790 would be a fair price? I've never been much of a haggler.

Also, just how many more miles could I expect out of a Cargo Van? Is 143000 miles still reasonable?

Thanks for any info. R.H. in Okla.

2. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Find out its past service. Light delivery with all highway miles is alot better than hard service such as newspaper carriers with lots of stopping and heavy loads. A van with 143,000 miles that looks brand new has probably been detailed or painted.

3. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of hauling do you plan on doing with it?

4. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a work van, you should be more interested in it's mechanicals than it's bodywork and interior. I wouldn't pay $7k for a van with 150k miles on it. Try to find a lower mileage van and have it checked by a mechanic, and if it's ugly, who cares?

5. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Look around and see if there are any auctions around that deal in Utility company (electric,gas etc.)or similar type. They sell off stuff that's hardly used sometimes and of course some junkers :). Friend of mine go one that was practically new with two air compressors and generator for practically the price of a generator. there always white and most utility companies tend to do regular maintenance on there vehicles.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    My '87 E150 with a 300 - 6, presently has 355K on it, never needed much more than rotors on the front.

7. Well I bought it. I did get them to come down on it a little. Just enough to buy a one year protection plan on the drive tran. I called up one of my brother-in-laws who is suppose to be the top automechanic in NW Arkansas (has worked for car dealers for the last 35 years) and he said 140,000 is not a lot of miles anymore on modern engines. With proper care they can last 300K to 500K. Also, he told me the Kelly Blue book is a big joke anymore. He said what everyone goes by now days is, I think he called it something like NADA, or something like that and said he thought the price they are asking for sounds about right. So with that advice, I went back this afternoon and bought it.

What am I gonna use it for? I'm getting back into the electrical business. Only this time I'm gonna get my contractors license and be self employeed. So I probably won't be putting a whole lot of miles on it this next coming year since I'm just getting started. Hopefully a year from now after everyone has had a chance to see my company name on the side of the van I will be in full business. Making some good MOOLA!

The last electrical outfit I worked for used Ford Econolines. I started in 94 and drove there brand new 94 model E350. Drove it for 8 years. The one I purchased today is a 2000 and it lookes almost identical to the 94 model except for the color. I feel like I'm back home again.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Well you've already made your decision so it really doesn't matter. Starting off a new business adventure and staying local I would have bought a much cheaper older simpler vehicle. The Ford vans are good but can be expensive to repair and maintain. Something as simple as spark plugs can be pretty tough on those engines. Much tougher and more expensive than the 351 and 302's of the past.