Need well/waterpump education

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by reitenger, Dec 11, 2004.

1. reitenger

reitenger Well-Known Member

We just bought our little 10 acre homestead in MO. Previous owner had a well dug. He dug it close to the property line as his sister had the adjoining property and he was going to share. Here is my problem. As we have no desire to be overly close to our neighbor, we are going to build about 650ft from the well. Well is 350ft deep. I looked at pumps today, but am confused about the whole pressure tank thing. What am I going to need in my system to move the water from the well to my house? Rise is under 10ft. My wife insists on decent pressure, and I tend to agree. Thanks guys

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I don't know much about tanks, but one thing that is very important is to have a large diameter pipe for your waterline. 1 1/2 or 2 inch wouldn't be too big for 650 feet. It will cost more, but it is well worth the money. If the pipe is too small, it won't make any difference how good your pressure is, you just won't have enough water coming out of the fawcett.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............If I was in your situation here is what I would consider doing (1) I would locate a 2,500 gallon , plastic tank in a fully insulated building so that your pump can pump directly INTO that tank . This tank would be located at the Well site . Then , I would place another 2,500 gallon tank at your house , insulated of course . Back at the well house I would setup a 1 1\2 horsepower Bootser pump to pump from the tank at the well house TOO the Tank at your Home . Now , at your home I would setup a 1 hp booster pump to supply water to your home from the 2,500 gallon tank . The water level , in the tank at the well house will activate the Waterwell Pump Motor to keep that tank full . Now , the water level ...at the Tank at Your Home...will activate the Booster Pump , back at the Well House , to keep your Home Tank supplied with water . And , the Booster pump at your house will never know that the water is being pumped from 650 feet away . This way you won't burnup the Submersiable pump , 350 feet deep to try and pump water all the way up to your house . ...fordy... :eek: :)

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Seldom do I disagree with Fordy but we are not in concert on this. A 3/4hp submersible pump in the well, one inch pvc supply pipe, and a decent size bladder tank(40 gallon drawdown) is all that is required to feed a single household. The pressure switch set at 40/60 will meet your needs.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a similar deal. We had a well next to a cabin with a small pressure tank at the well.
    We ran a one inch pipe 400 feet to a new house. The pressure would drop with a faucet running very long. We instaled a 40 gallon bladder tank in the new house and the problem ended.

6. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. This would be an easier and cheaper solution. If you need to run pipe,then I would use 1 1/2 in pipe though.

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

agmans got it nailed . only other thing is buy the best pipe you can find .get it down at least four feet and bedded with sand . over time it will pay to do it right

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Here is my Prediction....First off , I seriously Doubt that a 3/4 horse submersible pump , by it's self is capable of pumping a 350 foot , vertical column of water ....another 650 feet with a 10 foot elevation difference between the 2 points , TOO a pressure tank , at the mans house with any significant pressure . There is going to be Significant Friction LOss just in the 650 feet of pvc pipe , not counting the friction loss in getting the 350 foot column of water to the surface , much less into a pressure tank at the house .
    ...............My guess is that if the Gentleman wants his Submersible pump to accomplish the task of supplying his home with Enough water , in volume, to keep his wife happy when she takes a Bath :rolleyes: , he is going to have to install a 2 hp submersible pump in his well . A 3/4 horsepower pump motor , might get water too the home , but it won't beable to refill a 100 gallon pressure tank ...AT the House....in a short amount of Time . His wife is going to be very UNhappy with the Inability of a small well motor to refill the pressure tank . I can see her now sitting in a Half full tub of luke warm water , while watching the tub spout dribble out a very small column of warm water . He is going to be jumping thru his skivvies calling the well man to come fix the problem . ...and so it goes , fordy.... :eek: :D

9. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

My well is about 200' from my house. I have a deep well pump and a 2100 gallon underground storage tank at the house. I installed an electric float switch in the tank and , conduit and wiring back to the well. This float turns on the deep well pump whenever the water level in the storage tank drops by about 300 gallons. This saves wear and tear on the expensive, hard to service deep well pump. Then I have a small 1/2 hp pump and pressure tank in my utility room to draw water from the storage tank and maintain water pressure in the house. The water line from the well to the storage tank is 1-1/4", which is the size of the outlet on the deep well pump.
    This system has worked well for me. Some wells won't produce enough water to provide on demand usage. This allows water to be stored for those heavy usage times and allows the well casing to refill while the deep pump is at rest.

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

try posting your question here http://www.haestad.com/ this is a water engineering site has pulled rabbits outa the hat for my wife who's a water treatment operator .her wells are 400-660 ft deepin well submirsable to resivour feeding town water system with a booster. good sumirsable will pump that distance though might need a pressure tank at well head,neighbours pump with such a system from their cheese plant to owners house a mile away.

11. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Do you still have to share this well? That can effect what you do as well as how much water the well puts out anyway. You would need a BIG pressure tank. Another option is to just dig another well closer to your house.

12. reitenger

reitenger Well-Known Member

Well we just got back from our new place, and met the people the original owner was going to share with. I need a tall electric fence between us. Very tall, very high voltage. First thing they had to say to us on meeting was about how the well is supposed to be shared. Previous owner had it dug, but didn't pay before leaving town. Lady he was (and now us) buying the land from paid the digger, and has the paperwork. I paid a higher price for the property because the well was already there. After getting idead here and locally, I think i'm going to use a 1.5 horse pump to get the water up and to a holding tank at the house. Then use a pump on that end to pressurize the house. I may give the neighbors a spigot to fill from, but due to the situation of me building so far from the well i'm not willing to spend the extra to make it work for both of us. The only thing they didn't mention sharing was the cost.