need/want good ice cream recipes please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Raftercat5, May 1, 2006.

1. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

OK...I'm ready! I have enough goat milk, cream, eggs, fresh strawberries, and an ice cream machine waiting to be used. I've been making ice for 4 days, so I think I finally have enough now. My recipes I thought I saved must've fallen down a black hole and is probably at Mars or Pluto by now. Does anyone have some really good ice cream recipes to share?
    - Kathy

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Iced Milk ....

1 quart goat milk
    1 cup sugar
    2tsp vanilla

I do mine in a ziplock bag inside large coffee can with ice and salt...roll back and forth for about 25 min.

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Freeze the strawberries. Freeze some yoghurt, too. Mix both in a cuisinart, with maybe a little milk or jam. Works with bananas and blueberries, too.

4. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Been using this recipe for years. Taught it to my baking class at school this week.

FRENCH VANILLA ICE CREAM
    2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    8 cops milk
    4 eggs
    2 tablespoons vanilla extract

Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in top of double boiler.
    Gradually wisk in 4 cups of milk, cooking over the boiling water,
    stirring until it thickens, 12-15 minutes.
    In separate bowl beat the eggs well and add a small amount of the hot milk mix, stirring constantly so that the eggs do not curdle.
    then add all the egg mix into the milk mix and continue to cool for another 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Chill thoroughly, preferably overnight.
    Pour the cold milk egg ( custard) mix, vanilla and the rest of the milk 4 cups into the ice cream freezer and follow directions for your freezer.

makes 3 pints.

Good luck!!

jr05

5. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

8 cops milk - oh the mental picture that created...LOL!

6. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Thanks, everyone, for the recipes!
    - Kathy

7. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

I got this recipe out of the Countryside magazine (excellent mag.) It works great. My Oberhasli does milk is not very high in butterfat I think and it was more like ice milk not like really rich when made with cream. Try it, you'll like it! :))

Creamy Homemade Ice Cream

1/3 cup cold water
    1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    6 cups milk, divided (goat milk or cow milk)
    1/4 cup light corn syrup
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or more, to taste, if you're making vanilla ice cream and not one of the variations)

Sprinkle gelatin on water, set aside. In large saucepan or Dutch oven, mix sugar and cornstarch well, stir in 3-1/2 cups milk and the corn syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Beat egg, stir in 1/2 cup milk, and add to hot mixture while stirring briskly. Return to heat. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in vanilla and remaining 2 cups milk. Cool; chill before freezing if possible. Freeze in a 2 qt. freezer according to manufacturer's directions