Need volunteers

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Terrible title if you want anyone to read the post but what the heck! :clap: We're looking for a few people to send us wool to be processed into either roving or batts. No charge for the processing but shipping to and from would be your responsibility. We won't charge any handling or packing fees..... just whatever shipping method you want charges! We're just learning so don't make it your most precious wool and its at your own risk. Common sense would say ship it washed (it weights a lot less). Any amount up to 5 (washed) pounds. We do want some feedback, after the fact if possible. Anyone interested can PM me for an address and details. Thanks! :bow:

2. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Ross! We have some from their first clipping and so I had heard it's not worth much to spin....I am just learning too and am not really sure how to clean it or anything....

PM me and I will work on cleaning it and learning how to do that..... It's from Jacob and I have a Perendale cross and can send some of both... Send me your address and I can let you know when it's ready.

Best wishes,
    Joellen Tubbs

3. Ross

I'll have my wife PM you Joellen she knows about washing better than me. I mean I know hot water no aggitation soak for "X" amount of time with "Y" amount of Dawn spin out and either repeat or spread out to dry.

Just wanted to add if the PM feature on HT is a hassle for anyone you can always Email me at sheepfarmer@sympatico.ca or just post here as Luvrulz did. Thanks

4. Ross

Here's the washing instructions Ann sent:

Hi this is Ross's wife.
    Here are the instructions for washing your wool.
    I use dish soap allot of the time as it is a good grease cutter. Do not use woolite or any other soap for washing fine wool clothes.

1. Fill washer with hot water and soap
    2. Add fleece
    3. Let it soak
    4. Spin water out
    5. Take fleece out
    6. Fill washer with water that is at least as hot as the water was
    when you started to spin. (it is OK to use hotter water but not
    colder water)
    7. Check you fleece to see if you want to wash it again or if it is
    ready for rinse.
    8. If it needs another wash, add soap to washer and repeat steps 2-6
    9. Rinse: add fleece to clean water let it soak 5 min.
    10. Spin the water out again.
    11. Spread wool out on a drying rack. Preferably use something like
    a screen so the air can get at the underside of the wool.

Even if you are washing in a sink or tub it is a good idea to spin
    the water out in the washer. It eliminates the dripping and your wool dries much faster.

WARNING Do not let the washer agitate. This will get you a felted rug very fast.
    If you have any questions just let me know.
    Ann

5. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

We have alot of wool. We have wool in the hay loft part of our barn in a wool bag sitting there, we haven't taken it anywhere. It is dry and raw, it hasn't been washed it came right from the sheep to the bag. I don't know how it would be to use. Mostly Cheviot Wool.

Melissa

6. Ross

CCWG buys raw wool for a pitance. If you'd like some turned into batts (I'd suggest batts with hairy NCC wool) for making a comforter or stuffing pillows etc. let me know.

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Who is the laundry fairy?!? I want one!

8. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I have a laundry fairy! Well...he may not like being called a fairy...but he does do the laundry :p

9. Ross

Your's is a he Kesoaps??! You've seen him??? I was going to ask my wife to stay up all night and try and catch "her" but if its a him maybe some beer and peanuts in a little trap would work. Not that I want to mess up a good thing dropping dirty clothes on the floor and finding clean ones in the drawers is pretty awesome. Maybe Ann should just try to watch and learn, maybe some of his techniques could prove useful to her for house cleaning. I'm so glad its a he I was feeling a little guilty that my gender wasn't pulling its weight!

10. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Hey, around here it's me who leaves the clothes and towels on the bathroom floor. The laundry fairy leaves nasty notes telling me to please pick up after myself :grump: Well, sometimes I do...but let's face it, the laundry fairy just has less to do than I have. Okay, so he's the kitchen fairy too, but we just won't go there :p I'm certain I'm busier!

11. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I can send some next week after I wash it !

Patty

12. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Hi Joellen!
    I just attended (and organized) a direct marketing seminar at the Ohio Shepherd's Symposium. Kent Ferguson of Ohio Valley Natural Fibers (one of the oldest and largest fiber mills in the country) made this statement:

The most desireable wool a sheep will produce is the first clip. However, you MUST remove the first couple months growth which is different from the rest of the fleece, and most likely brittle and will break off in processing.
    So in otherwords, shear your lambs when you wean them at 2-3 months of age, and the fleece that grows that first year will be the best your sheep can produce. (assuming its clean and healthy)

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

13. Trumpkinland

Trumpkinland Member

Kesoaps, I love your quote at the bottom, and ain't it the truth!

About sending wool to be processed, are you still doing that or have you learned enough yet? I may have some I'd take a chance with... as soon as I have time to wash some up! Are you starting a fiber mill and if so, when do you expect to be up and running for profit?

And to the person who said they has some first clipping and didn't think it was worth much fromt he first shearing ~ that is usually the best wool a sheep will give! Rarely will I even sell my hogget fleeces (first shearings) unless I am so overwhelmed with wool I haven't spun yet!

14. Ross

Sure if you have some wool you don't mind me working on we'll get onto to it ASAP. sheepfarmer@sympatico.ca Please understand its not a lack of wool I have but a lack of shipping, receiving, staying organised, communication etc. that need improvment and I've already found several weaknesses in that dept! Wool processing may or may not be a service we'll offer the juries still out on that, there's no requirement to turn a profit quickly from wool processing, everythings paid for.

15. mom2jaluno

mom2jaluno Member

Would you be interested in processing any alpaca fleece? I have 7 bags in my garage.

16. Ross

Sure with the reminder we're very new at this and never tried Alpaca before, it might not work out.

17. sheeplady

sheeplady Well-Known Member

Ross, Just saw this post. Please PM me with details. I have three average dorset fleeces I'd like to send. Kate

18. ErinC

ErinC Well-Known Member

How many medium-sized fleeces would you need to make a batt?

19. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Ross,

I have the same question -how many #'s of washed fleece needed to get a batt made. Would this be a specific size for quilt size or batting for pillows ?

Thanks !

20. Ross

Hi sorry for the delay I've been kinda run off my feet. The batt the machine makes is 16 inches wide and will go up to 4 inches thick possably a bit more. How many fleeces is that? I dunno really we've had two from a Polypay on there and it wasn't full. In fact we have to split the batt in two (through the thickness) or would have been too much (except for pillows) Sorry to have to remind everyone that I was hoping to limit wool shipments to 5 pounds (not that I weigh it) But I'd guess that would be a max of two fleeces for the moment.