Need voice of experience....doe with HUGE udder - no kids.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LuckyGRanch, Mar 10, 2005.

1. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

I have a AlpineX doe who I don't have an exact breeding date on. I used Lute for the first time last year and with that in mind would be due anytime after 3/17. However, I realize the 14-21 day ineffectiveness of Lute if the doe was recently bred when it was given and...I think that is probably the case with this doe.

Over the weekend this doe went from "gee...she's bagging up" to....OH MY GOODNESS she's HUGE!! (my clue that kidding is just hours off). I've never had a doe go through those changes and not kid. This is her 3rd kidding here and this is a change for her as well. Should I be worried? Her udder is so shiny and tight - hard as a rock...not hot, inflamed like mastitis...just like she's WAY overdue for milking. She's not showing any signs of illness other than being very uncomfortable with a huge bag. Her tail ligaments may have loosened just a bit since this weekend...again, nothing dramatic. Her rear doesn't appear as though she's really close, etc. Her belly has changed shape (like kids are lining up for delivery) but, that could just be from the huge bag pulling too.

Any thoughts from you veterans? Anything I should be doing or not doing?

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Sounds like she's getting close!

I don't consider myself a veteran, nor an expert, by any means, but... I'd milk her out to get her a little more comfortable. If you aren't bottle feeding those babies will have a real hard time latching onto the teat if it's too swollen and full and Mom will protest from the pain. And if you are bottle feeding, then you'll have the colostrum all ready for the little ones when they arrive and be doing Mom a favor by relieving some of that pressure when she's already got a lot of pressure in other areas!

Milk out the colostrum and freeze any extra that you get!

And get ready for birth - sounds like she's almost there!

Sarah

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree...I would milk her so the kids will nurse better and to make her more comfy and to prevent mastitis from settling in....

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

leave her alone, she will kid soon. I don't like to milk before kidding, the bag often times just fills up again bigger, and two, when you take out the plug, tha is in each teat, that leaves it open for all sort of things. she is fine. I have two that do that evry year. one was dripping , every time she ran accross the yard. she will kid very soon.
    I would say, some time this week.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if i remember right when i had my own babies, i was very uncomfortable when they were sleeping to long and my breast where full.
    i would release a little bit from her udder and to be on save side put some spray after milking like you would anyways when you start regular milking her. no reason why she should get infection from milking before kidding.
    susanne

6. LuckyGRanch

Thanks everyone...

Vicki?? :haha: (And no comments about Alpines...we already know it's an "attitude" thing) :D

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

If she's that tight, I'd milk some out, not all, and use a teat dip or spray to prefent any infections. If they get too, too full, it can cut off circulation to the udder, blow out teat delineations, and other nasty things. She shouldn't have to be shiny tight.

8. LuckyGRanch

How often does this happen? Should I be concerned that something has happened to the kids?

9. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

luckyG, I had an oberhasli do this in her third year of kidding. never did it before.She was 2 weeks from kidding,I left her be and then milked and milked after she kidded. She was so huge she couldnt walk.I think she peaked that year.

10. LuckyGRanch

STILL no kids! She spends a lot of time laying down - all really unless she's eating. And...like mentioned above, she can hardly walk around it! :eek: She's gonna help me raise some really, really good feeder pigs!

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

milk her a bit its better than the possible scar tissue and pain from engorgement
    alpines attitudes here too, ive got 3 due this month one is looking like she should go soon , the other has a week or two left , the does ran with the bucks on the farm i bought them from so breeding was done, but exact dates are unknown :D

good luck with her, keep an eye on her
    B

12. LuckyGRanch

I think I see the beginning of the mucous plug. Might be just wishful thinking too! I've got the next 2 days off. Sure would be nice if she'd be considerate of my work schedule!!

13. heinola honee

heinola honee Member

Hi Beth,
    Is it Minnie your refering to?. Isnt she Goliaths dam? My Doe Lizzy is bred by Goliath and she bagged up a couple of weeks ago-huge. Had her kids this morning, yes I said kids :eek: -QUADS!!!!!!. If I remember correctly how Minnie looks then two of them look like her and two look like the Big G. 3 Bucks 1 doe.
    Now we are done. Finished up with 2 doelings and 5 bucklings :no:
    Hope everything goes well for you.
    Ruth

14. LuckyGRanch

FINALLY!!!!!! Triplets 2 Does...1 Buck. First kids of the season! :) Let's hope that ratio continues! I'm not impressed with her udder at all...lopsided this year. :waa: Good thing she ain't a show goat! :eek:

Nope...wasn't Minnie. I broke down and sold her. Kinda wishing now I hadn't...plan to raise a bunch of pigs on the milk. I'm at about half diary goats..half Boer goats now. Was nearly all boers before. I've got 3 Nubian does that I'm really excited about. One is an old Granny goat who is always skin and bones...just can't put weight on her. You may remember her. Anyway, I think even she is bred! Yea!

15. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I had a doe that was lopsided last year, when she freshened this year, she was perfect. I was shocked. the vet said oh that is common. they often straighten them selves out. I thought it was cool. and giving me 3 quarts a milking. she is my gal , that is for sure,. .