Need URGENT Help with two baby goat!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by malickfarms, May 16, 2006.

1. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

Hi, I have found this site incredible my husband showed it to me.

I am HOPING someone out there can give me some advice or much need help and reassurance!

I purchased two baby goats at one week old & I was given one gallon of Moms milk to feed them when running short start weaning off with half and half of Moms milk & Save A Kid.

So, I did that and on day three of doing so ...MAJOR diarrhea and chills.

Waited till morning to see what happens, called vet and said it was scours looked at the fecal and didnt see anything I am assuming of major concern.
    Gave me sulfer to give them in liquid form & ketopectate along with electrolytes, which he instructed to mix with milk replacer.

Gave this 24 hrs to work and NOTHING diarrhea is horrilbe, so runny it goes all over there black hind legs causing them to get chilled, Ive had em in the house with me until today they went in the barn with heat.

So, I called the breeder today and they told me that I need to give em Ammonia AD ...so I did that didnt help he also told me to take them off of the replacer for 24 hrs and give straight electrolytes. Which, they will guzzle up!

How do I get the diarrhea to stop and what did I do wrong? I've read that it could of been the stress of the new enviorment or change of 100% milk replacer. Is this or will it end or am I going to lose them. Ive been up the past two nights with them just hoping something works..Ive cried and cried Im hoping someone can shed some light on the subject.

The goats are 14 days old today and still look good, no wieght loss, but less active from the week .....

April

2. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

My baby goat that was on replacer had a really tough time with it...I finally went to a homemade replacer recipe and had instant success, and stopped diarrhea

1 gallon whole cow's milk with 3 cups milk removed
    1 can evaporated milk
    1 cup whole buttermilk(I used lowfat cause it was all I could find)

Mix and label jug so your family doesn't accidentally drink. Worked great and smelled so good (replacer stinks!)

Good luck!

3. malickfarms

So it is the replacer you think? I am just so sad about this I have FALLEN in love with them...and I keep crying over this cause I dont know what to do, I am going to give this a try nothing can be worse than what it is.

April

4. simplestyle

simplestyle Active Member

April,

In my opinion I would put the babies on whole cows milk, if you don't have goat milk left. I bought a baby buck, that was on replacer, bad scours. I changed him to whole milk and was cleared up in about a day. It is most likely the change in diet. Good Luck!

Lori

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

LOL! Buttermilk is supposed to be lowfat -- it's the skim milk that's left after you make butter with cream!

Yes, put them on whole cow milk if you don't have access to goat milk. Replacer is bad stuff. (Yeah, I know some people use it, but I don't like it. It's a lot harder to raise babies on that stuff.)

Kathleen

6. cfarmher

cfarmher Well-Known Member

I think they mean cultured buttermilk from the grocery store. :)

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I"ve never heard anything good about replacer. Go to cow's milk. Or ask if you can purchase more mommy's milk. That would be even better.

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

My computer is acting weird right now, and I can't post a link, so I copied it for you. #27
    12-06-2005, 10:48 PM
    buckshotboers

whole milk alone is not enough fat for the kid, nor the raw nutrients.
    If you can't get purina or another kind, you can make a homemade one that works great. 1gal whole milk. 1can evaporated milk, 1 cup buttermilk. (not the lowfat kind).
    Pour off 4 cups of whole milk. Add butter milk, evaporated milk (the whole can). Add back as much whole milk as will fit, shake, pour in bottle and serve warm...
    I have a feeding schedule somewhere. We get ours down to am's and pm's and they do fine.

www.gonzalesshowstock.com

buckshotboers

That is the recipe that we used with our orphaned baby, and it worked great! By the way, I won't recomend this because your babies might be too old now, and it could hurt them, but if they were younger, you could have given them Imodium chewable tablets, that is what we used when Zeke, said orphan, got diearehea to the point that it was basiclly water, we gave it to him because a lady at the feed store said that that is what she used when her foal had the runs, and he would have died if we had not stopped his poop. GOod Luck with your babies. Bye.

P.S. I posted in a rush, I didn't realize that Jcran had already posted it.

9. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

and get them on whole cow's milk if you do not have any goats milk. That replacer can cause ya some problems.

Goodluck!

10. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I also used regular store bought cows milk with no problems but I personally added a little probiotics and a drop of corn syrup. When they were older, I switched them over to replacer but cannot remember the age. Humm, have to look that up now or it will bother me.

Premature baby doeling who couldn't stand for two days, did so well on it that this year she had two doelings of her own.

11. malickfarms

I want to thank EVERYONE for replying...I cannot tell you how much this has made me more at ease.

I have been a wreck over this, I WANTED TO TELL YOU!!!!

I made a batch of the homemade replacer with whole cows milk & evaporated milk and the buttermilk and a hour after feeding I went to the barn and they came charging out!!

I think there might be hope...Dora was running sideways jumping bouncing and Daisy is almost there...but definitly better!

I think this is it!! I cannot thank everyone again! They even want more from me...but I am not giving more until morning! I also got some probiotics tonight!

Sav a Kid..STUNK!!

April...

W

12. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, now stop and take a deep breath. A year from now YOU will be helping newcomers with this very same issue!

13. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Good for you April! I am praying for your little goats. You got great advice and it worked! I use regular store bought whole cows milk myself. I have been raising goats a long time, but when i had my first bottle babies (this year), I had to learn the ins and outs of it. I gave them to much milk at one point and gave them black diarrhea (black diarrhea without a foul odor, i was told, is from too much milk) . So watch for that. After they get situated on their new diet and get past this shaky period, you need to worm them and keep them on a worming program. You will have lots to think about, but don't let it overwhelm you. People will be telling you this and people will be telling you that. And like HillTopDaisy said "Take a breath". We all get really freaked out by our goats sometimes, alot really, because we love them SOOOOO MUCH! Hang in there, all of us are here for each other. And almost all of us have come to this goat forum in tears over some tragedy or with great smiles over some tremendously funny goatie incident. Welcome.

14. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been told not to give Immodium to goats. My vet gave me something called Diarsanyl which works well. Baby goats get 5cc twice daily orally. It contains electrolytes and something to coat the stomach.
    Milk replacer is terrible stuff. When I am short on goat milk, I mix what I have with whole cow's milk and the babies do well on it. Fortunately, I have does in milk, so I mix 2/3 goat milk to 1/3 cow milk.

15. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

goatkid, I know, we found out later that you can only use Imodium BEFORE the babies stomach matures, if you us it once their stomach has matured, the goat will get constipated and have problems, but if you use it on a baby, a young young one, like only 2-3 weeks old, they will be fine. We also used it because if we did not get him to stop pooping so much, it was like water and it was ALL the time, he would have died of malnutrition.

16. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

April, how are your babies?

17. malickfarms

Hi, Just wanted to let everyone know that my babies are doing super!

They are actually EXCITED to eat & want MORE...On Sav A Kid they didnt want to eat!

They would suck for a few minutes and then walk away, but on this GREAT recipe they want more...Ive been telling everyone about it! You guys saved my life and my precious babies.

They were even running around with me on the farm this morning, they were jumping all over my labs they wanted to actually play once again.

I only gave them a 1/2 of Immodium AD ...my vet said the same thing has to be under age of 3 weeks. Not giving them anymore.

Stool is getting harder...still a tad bit runny but not bad at all and not as much. They have gone once today and it was getting MUCH better!

One last thing...I can take them off of Bounce Back right that is the electrolytes since they are eating so well? I am still going to give them ProBios for a few more days!

April

18. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Seems they are doing well enough to wean them off the Bouce Back, slowly. If the diarrhea has stopped and they are peeing well and their mucous membranes do not look dry, they are no longer dehydrated. Put out some baking soda from the kitchen and they will lick what they need as necessary by instinct to keep their stomachs from becoming too acid. they will not overdose themselves.

Here is a site that is great for goat info. Click on "site map" and scroll:

http//:www.fiascofarm.com

19. shereen

shereen Well-Known Member

another thing i dont think anyone mentioned is milk temp.
    make sure the temp is 102.* when you feed it out.
    i had a mom who was dam raising her kids and she got sick so i had to pull the kids off and bottle feed them whole cows milk.
    a friend told me to make sure the milk was 102 and they should have no problems with the switch. sure enough i never ever had case of scours and they grew out just fine.
    just a thought
    i hope everyone is doing better
    good luck
    shereen

20. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Whenever we bottle raise kids they are always on raw whole milk (not the store bought stuff, but the real stuff with all the fat in it) from our Jersey and Jersey/Norwegian Red herd of milking cattle. Ours thrive on the stuff.
    They grow wonderfully on it and we don't have transition issues.
    Milk replacer is some scary stuff but can be used successfully. More easily in cattle, I think, because most are more geared towards cattle and there isn't as much research done on goat stomachs and growing kids.