Need truck help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ed in S. AL, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Ran through a small water hole yesterday in my truck. Splashed water pretty good. Truck died instantly. Never had a problem before.

Everything was good and dry. Plugs, distributor cap, and solenoid. No water in the carb. So what else can I check. Still will not start.

2. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Is it trying to turn over at all? If it is, I'll bet it had a forced timing jump.

3. Mark in N.C. Florida

Mark in N.C. Florida Member

Year? Make? & Model? Engine?

Do you have spark? Pull a plug wire and put a plug into it and ground on block and have someone turn engine over and see if you have spark.

Spray all electrical connections with WD-40. If you have accses to an air hose blow out connections after spraying with WD-40 (if no air still spray with WD).

4. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Look under hood after dark for sparks while somone is cranking it. Or you might have flooded it out while cranking with a wet cap. Wild guess change cap.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

If you're still using points\distributor system you are going to have continual problems over time. You don't indicate model, engine, or year so you can't really expect anybody to diagnose your possible problems. You would be well served to purchase one of several , quality manufactured , solid state ignition systems that are currently available . i.e. , MSD, Jacobs, Davis Unified Ignition , etc. and several more that I can't think of at the moment......fordy :D

6. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

OK My hubby is a desiel Mechanic and hes ALWAYS telling me not to run thru mud/water puddles with my ford... Reason is because the air intact is positioned such that water can be sucked into it. which yes will kill the engine....... My question for him always was what freaking MORON put that thing there LOL.........

7. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

The truck is a '91 Chevy 1500. It turns over good, but just doesn't seem to be getting any electric fire to it. Going to check the fuses out in the morning. Everything else was good and dry.

8. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

Ed, Are you anywhere near Foley,AL?I have a sister that lives there.

Tambo

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

I believe your model of truck has a TBI ....throttle body (fuel) injection system for the fuel delivery system so you could have an electrical problem there. You could also have a malfunctioning , electrical fuel pump which is probably located inside the fuel tank or the "sock" or filter on the end of the pickup tube inside of your fuel tank could be blocked which would prevent the fuel pump from receiving fuel from the tank. Also, If your truck has high milage on it , the timing chain connecting the crankshaft to the cam shaft could have "jumped" a tooth or so which would either kill the engine or make it run very roughly. Also , check ALL your electrical connections esp. the Battery , etc. I, obviously, haven't a clue how mechanically proficient you are but I would say just validate the operation of the Basic's first before you start throwing money at the problem . Good luck, .......fordy :)

10. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

I think a much better way to check for spark is to pull a plug wire and have a buddy stick his finger into the boot while you crank the engine. If he hollers ya got spark.
    Kirk

11. 2A

2A Well-Known Member

Amazing the number of people you can get to actually DO that. :)