Need trapping help.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by pasotami, Oct 30, 2006.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I am pleged with a new herd of racoons and one beloved little skunk.... I have a medium size live trap that I have used for years but it seems now that the young racoons are too smart for it and the older one is just way too big to fit in it. The racoons are so use to me that the other night I heard the chickens (one stupid rooster did not go in the kennel I have for them) so without thinking and trying to save the chickens life, I did not bother to get the gun which entails unlocking several different locks to get to it and to get it to function.... :rolleyes: I ran out in sock feet, flipped on the light, ran over and kicked the stuffings out of that great big coon..... it did not try to fight me but just strode off with it's feeling hurt.... to come back later that night and agrevate the chickens....
    What can I use to get these critters that will not kill my cats? If I can catch them unharmed, there is a man that takes them and raises them on the river (not in cages, but turns them loose and feeds them) and that is a good 25 miles from me....
    I'm open for all sorts of suggestions.... :hobbyhors

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Get a bigger trap? Put sweet jelly on bread in the trap to tempt the smaller ones... Maybe , Since you can actually kick the coons (Still giggling over that one) how about use a net and scoop it up and place it in a dog kennel? Course I imagine that it will come unglued when its in the net and THAT would be a handful for sure.. Or how about keep the gun handy, shoot the little beasts when they come back? Also hotwire your chicken area. Coons dont like electricty. A good zap or two should get them to wandering elsewhere.

3. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

Put marshmallows in the live trap.. They love em

4. Trapper

Trapper Well-Known Member

If the trap has been reliable in the past then it should work in the future. It may be that it has been contaiminated by past catches and baits. You did mention a skunk :shrug: . Pressure washing should take care of it. If you don't have a pressure washer a trip to a local self serve car wash will work. The other thing that may have happened is the older raccoon may have been educated to the habits of the trap and has taught the young to avoid this retainer. How you make your presentation could help change this. An example of this is that if you had the trap free standing in a particular area is to move it a short ways away and put it between to bales of hay, this will create a tunnel and add support in case the large critter pays you a visit. Don't be surprised that it may fit into the trap. I have caught many twenty pound raccoon in medium sized live traps over the years, its always funny to see them squeezed in so they can't even turn around. If you put in a loud sweet bait such as the the jelly on bread or my favorite is peanutbutter along with the marshmellows ( I use the minitures and put a couple on the outside of the door entrance to entice and a few more on the way in, with the remainder in the back of the trap with the smelling bait). You should see positve results. I hope this may help but I also wish to caution you as to handling this critters as they do carry diseases :nono: and will defend themselves if cornered. Further it may be illegal to transport live wildlife without special permits so check your state laws for this. Good luck and let us know the results. Trapper :)

5. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I catch one last night-----Big Male Coon, by using shelled corn. I poured some corn past the "trip" then set a cement block on top of the trap with a couple more blocks on each side so the coon could not turn the trap over, but I have a big trap--probably 20"x20" by over 3ft long(my 85lb bull dog can get in it easy). I have caught alot of coons using 1/2 a honey bun. Good Luck! Randy

6. pasotami

This is interesting - I have never thought of useing sweet things. I have always used canned cat food or canned fish.... time for a change. I'm hoping that I have caught a stray cat at my barn tonight that has been killing the setting hens while on the nest, then saw the joker climbing the barn poles after the few remaining roosting roosters.... the roosters got smart, they have changed their location of roost to a roof support over a horse stall - the horse keeps them safe but probably does not like the added features to his back at night! LOL If I have the cat, then I will try the jelly and mashmellows on the coons here at the house and chicken yard!.

7. pasotami

Woo Hoo - Got the cat! I can turn the chickens loose in the barn lot... Now I'm on to the racoons and jelly sandwiches! I've got a jar of really old mashmellow cream also.... :hobbyhors