Need Tractor Info

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by fernando, Oct 10, 2005.

1. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

Local auction coming up in a few days that includes a 1992 model Ford 3910 diesel tractor. I have not seen it but it is supposedly in excellent condition being owned by a gentleman well known for taking good care of all his vehicles.

Can anyone give me their thought about the good points and the sore points on this model Ford? Also, anything particular to this model tractor you would check out in detail before bidding? Also, if it really is a super clean specimen, what would you consider a fair price ?

Thanks !

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Prices vary so much region to region but you could check out http://www.ironsearch.com/IRONSearch/content.aspx

The 3910 is based on the old 3000/4000 ford which was an excellent tractor, I can't remember anyone ever being disappointed with one. Pretty sure they're around 40-45 hp. Biggest thing over looked on all tractors is the rear tires they run around $400 each plus instalation so its a major repair you can judge easily! Nice if you can pressure test tthe hydraulics but they're usually pretty solid. What transmision does it have, can you phone and find out?

3. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

Well, the 3910 was in very good condition, not excellent but very close. It had good rubber and was kept under cover. It also fetched $11K - far too rich for my blood. It seems like the smaller tractors around here are much more in demand than those of 50 hp or more, in fact often bringing more dollars than do the large units in equal condition.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

yep fernando same way here !! we were once able to sell a ford 3000 and purchase a ford 6600 for the same money! thing is a 5600-6600 or even newer are a more useful tractor and use about the same fuel. fellow we know bought a 5610 with a qa fel for 8 thousand last year ,did need some cleaning up and a bit of welding on the loader but looks great now!

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

fernando, if it makes you feel any better I have a one owner (almost new appearing) 3910 with 1400 hours on it. I also have several other 4 cylinder diesels of other brands. I cannot get accustomed to the sound of the 3 cylinder 3910. The noise is terrible and the tractor is light and will not turn short without skidding. This tractor is carrying wheel weights on all fours and has fluid in all tires and still remains too light. I would much rather have a 5610 or even an older 5000.