need to sell some wood

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mawalla, Nov 9, 2005.

1. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

We had to cut down a silver maple tree. As we are not experts on wood burning, we were wondering if it is any good for that use. We have no idea what we should charge for it. We have already cut and stacked about a cord. (There is a bunch more to go, too.)

2. dare2b

dare2b crone

Cut down three 60ft sycamores and a couple small oaks. Had a tree guy do it, but now have all this wood and no wood stove and don't know how to handle a chainsaw either. I could use some word on prices to ask too.

3. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

The silver maple and sycamore trees are of no value.You can make a weenie roast fire and that is about it,to soft.The oak or any hard wood here in IL.sells for 125.00$ a cord 4X4X8

4. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

Can be used for campfire wood if you have any campgrounds around. I would use it in my fireplace but is isn't a good heating wood for woodburners.
    Dave

5. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Well people you don't have to cut every tree into fire wood. There are plenty of woodworkers around looking for green lumber they can buy. Check around and see if there is someone with a band mill that would cut it up. You can use it yourself for building projects. You may find someone that will build that furniture you won't. Won't necessarily be cheap but it will out last you.

Lumber just doesn't have to come from "Home Depot".

Green oak can go for 1.50-2.00 a bd ft
    Cherry,Walnut can go up to 3-4.00

Post your wood on sites like these
    Woodcentral.com
    Sawmillcreek.org.
    Woodfinder.net

Give a tree a chance at a new life :viking:

6. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I'd burn silver maple all day long.

No reason it can't be sold for firewood. Save the real hard hard-woods for overnight and burn the maple when you are there to feed the fire.

In energy terms

White Oak = 22 million BTU per full cord

Silver Maple = 17 million BTU per full cord

Spruce = 12 million BTU per full cord

If it will burn, burn it.

Pete

7. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. (Sorry that it took so long to say, "thanks", but I was taking a break from the forums for a while.)

8. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with Silver Maple.

In New Brunswick, seasoned Hardwood goes for up to CDN $175/cord here split and delivered. It is mostly Maple, mixed with Birch and other lesser or better hardwoods, but with the Maple being considered the better half. It does not go punky as fast as the Birch. I will burn anything and everything.

If it's dry it gets burned. If it won't dry it gets composted.