Need to rid property of Ground Hogs, any ideas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rosehaven, Aug 10, 2006.

1. rosehaven

rosehaven Well-Known Member

traps, gun, what do you suggest...........

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Trap them and send them to me.I wish I had some.

big rockpile

3. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

Granulated fox urine? Get it at garden centers (real ones, not Walmart).

I had one under my shed last year and trapped him with a live trap and used an apple as bait.

4. xbob

xbob Member

# 1 groundhog
    # 1/2 c. flour
    # 1/4 tsp. salt
    # 1/4 tsp. pepper
    # 1/4 tsp. soda
    # 1/4 c. cooking oil
    # 1/2 tsp. sugar

Clean and skin as soon as possible. Remove all sent glands. Cut off head, feet and tail. Cure in cool place by suspending from hook approximately 4 days.

Dress groundhog as for rabbit, removing the small sacs in the back and under the forearm. Soak groundhog overnight in salted water to remove wild flavor. Combine flour, salt, pepper and sada; rub into groundhog pieces. Brown grounhog in hot oil in skillet; sprinkle with sugar. Reduce heat; add 1/2 cup water. Cover; simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender. Remove cover; cook for 10 minutes longer.

5. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

There is a thread I started last week that got a lot of great ideas; it's titled "MOLES Moles EVERYWHERE", but I posted pictures of the little guys and they're actually "pocket gophers".... I'll bet some of the methods mentioned would work on your groundhogs....

-Jill

6. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

once something becomes a source of food, your perception of it changes.

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

.17 cal is a nice varmint rifle with lots of zing. Many people use a .22 magnum.

I guess I am saying... use a gun. It's the most effective. In Ohio, it's groundhog season ALL year long.

8. rosehaven

try the traps first as we have plenty of apples on our apple tree to entice the furry pigs...........now as for cooking them, NO can't do it, just can't go there :shrug: ewwwwww, um no.

9. jehehmeyer

jehehmeyer Longing for home!

There many marksman around that would take care of your groundhogs for free. The folks I'm thinking of are the ones that have accuratized rifles, load their own ammunition for better accuracy and precision, use small calibers and shoot regularly. I'm talking people that routinely shoot 1/2 inch groups or smaller at 100 yards. The range I shoot at has many shooters like this. L
    A good number of local farmers around here let these folks take care of the grounghogs. You might just go by a gunshop and/or rifle range and talk to the manager.

10. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

They like carrots too. Just throw some in the trap. Gotcha!

11. bunnypatch10

bunnypatch10 Well-Known Member

Whistlepigs................we shoot 'em

12. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................I saw a show once that showed these guys that had a Huge , engine driven vacuum suction mochine [strongbad that would literally suck those little critters out of their hole and into a Hopper on the truck . Didn't seem to effect them at all . LOL There was just NO way they could resist the pull of this thing . Might call the Humane society and see if this is possible . fordy... :)

13. cb1963

cb1963 New Member

If your not going to eat them, I found a very easy way to be rid of them. I found some rodent smoke-bombs in a seed catalog (some hardware store might have them too). They work great. You just light it, toss it down the hole and cover it with dirt/rocks/etc. You have killed and buried them at the same time. (I would wait until after dark to make sure they are in the hole).

14. rosehaven

this weekend we will be seeking to rid our property of these critters :hobbyhors

Many thanks..........

15. ozarks58

ozarks58 Member

I read on another ag board ------stop up all the holes to the den but one. Soak a big rag with gasoline and shove it down the main entrance then cover it over air tight too. Notice I did not say to light any fires.

I have problems with them building dens in haybarns thathave big round bales stacked in them. When you remove the hay they have big holes and piles of dirt all around. One I got rid of some by using electric fence. I had one near so tapped a hotwire into the empty barn. I would set it up so a hot wire dangled down their holes but did not touch the earth. They could not come or go without getting in it. They dug new entrance in a few days and I fixed that one too. They disapeared after that one. Back next yr.

16. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    :D

Sit outside by the hole real quiet-like. With a sledgehammer...

(okay, not a realistic plan, but I bet you feel like that's what you wanna do to them sometimes! :D )

17. weedlady

weedlady Well-Known Member

I got rid of a mother and 8 little guys one year by continually dumping the used cat litter down her holes. didn't work for long though they moved back in the following year.
    good luck
    martha

18. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

If they are trap shy place a havarhart trap two feet from their entrance and make a wire cage from their entrance to the trap, sides and top using chicken wire, they have no plave to go except in the trap, works all the time when they are trap shy.

19. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

You could get a Jack Russell! :rolleyes:

big rockpile

20. Mark T

Mark T Well-Known Member

In a fit of pique, I discovered that a wheelbarrow load of fresh pig manure down one of the holes will make them decamp. You do have to fill in all the holes or a new family will move in after a while.