Need to rent/buy mini farm near Gap, PA

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deogloria11, Aug 30, 2004.

1. deogloria11

deogloria11 Member

We may be moving near Gap, PA, and can't find any reasonably priced land for sale. We would love info on owner financed land or a mini farm to rent. We have two outside dogs (kenneled) and six horses. My husband is a professional, and we're a quiet, boring family, lol.

Gap is halfway between Philly and Lancaster. We need to be within a half hour drive to Gap, but not south of it, as we will need to drive to Nazareth, to the north, about once a week, and don't want a longer drive.

The more rural the better, Amish neighbors preferred, but not a touristy town. We're thinking Lancaster or southern Berks counties.

Thanks for any info!

Sarah

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck with your hunt, it will be a tough one. Both areas you mentioned are gorgeous but mighty expensive. Anything for sale near Gap is usually snatched up by the Amish community. I believe I read once due to their $ assests as a community that help their brothers it has become the most valuable farm land in the country. They buy everything to keep their community and way of life thriving. I love visiting that area and did look at property there some years ago.

As I said good luck to you, it's wonderful fertile land!

PQ

3. deogloria11

deogloria11 Member

Thanks. I think I'm going to need it! I knew it had to be big-time Amish country there, as they had the most Amish schools listed in their demographics than any other nearby town I checked.

What about renting? I don't suppose anyone out in that area rents? Does anyone know any resources online I could look at, like a local paper or a penny saver classifieds for that area? I've already checked out the paper for Reading and Lancaster.

Thanks!

4. rangercat

rangercat Well-Known Member

I am also moving to Lancaster County within the next few months. I accepted a job out there and will be commuting 2 hours each way until I find a home, so I hope it happens soon!

Check out www.lancasteronline for rentals/buying. There is a farmette for rent in Mt. Joy which is northwest of Gap. However, the rent is $3,000.

I am looking at southern Lancaster County as I will be working in Nottingham. I have found prices to be a little better the closer you get to the river.

5. deogloria11

deogloria11 Member

Rangercat,

I'm surprised to hear rentals farther south are cheaper. I figured getting closer to the Maryland border would raise prices. But then, getting farther away from touristland probably helps.

Yeah, uh $3000 is a little high for me, lol. Saw that ad too. Sounded great except for the price. Who would rent for that much?!

I found out a lot of landlords go through these listing agencies in the Lancaster area. Apparently they don't charge the landlords, so the landlords figure it is easier to go through them. The agencies charge around $179. Which isn't bad for THEM, considering all they do is list the properties in a computer database! But the company moving us out there will be paying all the expenses, so I guess we might as well do it.

Let me know if you have any more info!

Thanks,
    Sarah

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on what you call cheap land. Two lots behind me (1.4 acres each) were just sold to a developer for $80,000 each. Final cost to the public with a house $350,000. Southern Berks is probably not much different. Mini farms for horse lovers (5-10 acres) are usually $600,000 at least, don't know about rents. Keep in mind school taxes, like everywhere are pretty high and the roads very congested, a lot of 2 lane state roads. Do not know how you will get from Lancaster or S. Berks to Nazareth in an half hour unless during the night. Many people are told Berks County to King of Prussia is 35 minutes, but unless you leave at 5a.m., that is impossible. Building permits in my Twp. (Ruscombmanor) are ever increasing. Just paid $300 + for a permit to build a 24 by 40 pole barn and that doesn't include permit for electric or cement inside. PA is the State of regulations and taxes and is getting worse. Will try to get some websites for Real Estate. Good luck.

7. deogloria11

deogloria11 Member

Yikes! 1.4 acres here would probably go fo $20,000 tops, and that's in the city area. Surrounding the city, maybe $10,000 an acre. Farther out, $3-5000, an hour or two away, $1-2000. Under $1000 if its really remote or you're buying huge chunks of land. So yeah, $80,000 is a huge amount to us!!!

I can't imagine $600,000 for a mini-farm. Here for that much, there is a huge horse place with many arenas (indoor and out),huge barns, breeding and horse show facilities, a few homes, and 25 acres. And I thought that was a little much for so little acreage. LOL.

That does concern me. I doubt we could ever afford more than $150,000 for a home, and we do NOT want to live in the city. And we hate renting. What do you think about buying land and putting a modular on it? Could that be done in my price range?

Thanks for the info Cindy.

8. deogloria11

deogloria11 Member

Oh, and we need to be within a half hour of Gap, but not Nazareth, LOL. Just within 1 1/2 hours of Nazareth!

9. rangercat

rangercat Well-Known Member

Your right, the price of land/homes in Lancaster is a little scary. I guess since I am moving from NJ it doesn't seem as bad. I have seen nice homes for 150,000 but without the acreage. I have noticed that the southern end of the county is a little cheaper. Not sure why.

My husband and I have just decided to rent for a little while to give us time to settle into the area and make sure our jobs work out. I hate to pay for a rental service but I am beginning to think I may not have a choice. I called two places this morning that were in the paper and they are both gone.

Sarah, my realtor in NJ has a connection to someone out in Lancaster. When she sends me the name I would be happy to forward it to you if you are interested.

10. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Deogloria -

Try this paper:

www.lancasterfarming.com

It is a weekly farming newspaper originating from Lancaster county, they have all kinds of classifieds, including some real estate. Good luck.

11. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

http://www.berksweb.com/realtors/

This site appears to have some info for you, even rental. A mini farm here would be 5-10 acres for that price. I am in North of where you want to be, but this site should give you info for the whole county. Unfortunately houses are being built on one acre here, many for around $400,000 and people are still streaming in! I am not sure if you could do a modular and some land for $150,000, I suppose anything is possible. I don't see much land for that price with acreage, but I see mostly the RE section of the Reading Eagle Paper. I know my sister would like to buy a house, but will probably have to get out of the area. We are behind the times, wanting a house for just over $100,000 etc. Most of what I have seen under $100,000 is small old homes with no land. Hope the site helps. Good Luck.