Need to rent a truck

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bill not in oh, Aug 11, 2006.

1. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

The tranny on my truck gave up the ghost, and I need to pick up some chickens tomorrow. Do any of you know where I can rent a truck with a tow package for a day? Doesn't have to be much of a truck as it's a small utility trailer that I've set up to haul the birds - under 500 lbs, I suspect.

The major players in the truck rental business are pretty proud of their vehicles, and most of them are box trucks 10-14 feet as a minimum (that have tow packages).

2. Arkie1

Arkie1 Well-Known Member

I don't know about your area but around here you can rent a truck at places like Budget, Hertz or Enterprise but they don't have hitches. :grump:
    What I did was rent a small Uhaul pickup at the daily in town rate of $19.95 and rented the bumper hitch. It was more involved than going to Budget or Hertzbut it was the only option in order for me to tow a small trailer.

3. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Uhaul's moving vans have hitches already on them. I know someone who had her truck stolen during show season; she took her horse to shows during the rest of the year behind a uhaul ...

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Where I live Home Depot rents trucks. I don't know if they have hitches on them or not. They are about as reasonable as anywhere, but are specifically rented for short times.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Go to the local car dealer and see if they will rent you a used pickup they have on the used car lot. I know small dealers I worked for would do this, be up frt. about why and what you need it for. Try the feed store or tractor dealer, they might lend or rent you one or know someone that would. If you're paying gas and are willing to insure I'd rent you my truck for little or nothing.