need to put down a German Shepherd right now. HELP!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Apr 19, 2006.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

My shepherd broke her chain and bit a lady walking down the street. She has to go now. How can I put her down. The shelter and the pound are closed. I don't have a gun. Will lighter fluid do it? If so, how do I do it?

2. x_xbirdie

x_xbirdie Well-Known Member

Please, just constrain the animal in an unused room then take her to the pound/shelter tomorrow. If she is acting viscious, go ask a nieghbor or someone, for gun, hopefully for someone with a good aim.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Call the sherriff. They may want to hold the dog and observe it for signs of rabies. DO NOT KILL THIS DOG AT THIS TIME!

4. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Lighter fluid?

Can it wait until tomorrow? Since you don't own a gun, I can't think of another way that is quick and somewhat humane. A vet can do the job for you. Other than that?????

I don't know that I would involve any "authorities". A private vet will know what to do, probably without opening unnecessary doors to problems.

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Oh my, sorry about your problem.

If that woman makes a trip to the doctor or files a report to the police, the dog will need to be observed for 10 days or whatever the time period is------------------

Are his rabies shots up to date?
    If they are, then maybe that observation period isn't necessary.

But, I'd sure check with someone before putting him down.

6. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Neighbor wants her dead. She isn't going to file charges if I put her down. The bite isn't terrible, but only because I was here to stop her quickly. I'm not home 3 days a week. She's on a long motorcycle chain with horse clips and she broke it. I can lock her in the barn tonight. She is current on all of her shots. I've been working with her and thought she had gotten better, but she's too smart for her own good.

7. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

And also if the women went to the doctor she can claim the bill and all expenses to you so be prepared for that also as you are liable for any and all medical charges she occurs.

8. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Lighter fluid is only good if you're into torturing an animal..it wouldn't kill a dog, just make it want to die.

If it were me, I'd simply call the police and ask them to take the dog until it can be taken care of humanely. "file charges"..what can she do ? The only thing that she can do against you is to expect you to pay for any reasonable medical bills she incurs..and that's a fair thing anyway. There are no other "charges" that she can file against you. The dog was restrained and on it's own property, and has had all the requiered shots. It broke loose and attacked her. Any judge would order you to pay her medical costs and say "Have a nice day."

The local humane society will decide if the dog needs to be put down or not after you release ownership to them.Probably so, but not definetly. Some of those dogs make terrific police or prison dogs.

9. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Nail gun will work if you got the stomach for it. :eek: Imagine and "X" going from the eyes to the opposite ears and shoot in the middle. This is where the brain is on most dogs. Without a gun this is gonna be realy drawn out and nasty.

10. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I think I now know sancrafts confusion - NOT starter fluid for the BBQ - Starter fluid for an engine (ETHER). Available at any good hardware/auto store. Puts an animal to sleep humanely.

11. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

What a sad situation! Consider carbon monoxide. If you can get the dog under a shower curtain with the tailpipe of your vehicle pumping out emissions, it will make her go to sleep. It might take a half hour or so for her to die. I don't know what people do to commit suicide in their cars, but you could load the dog in the car and run a pipe from the exhaust into the window to accomplish the same thing.

Good luck.

12. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Dig a hole and call a neighbor who has a gun. Shoot it and bury it...and count your blessings that your neighbor gave you an option.

13. jokey

jokey Well-Known Member

Lock the dog in the barn,car whatever. Here is another fine example of the neighbors telling YOU what to do. She cannot demand you put the dog down. She will have control over you and keep trying to blackmail you!!!!!
    DO NOT TAKE IT!!!! offer to pay her medical bill if she needs treatment which it doesn't sound like she does.Otherwise DO not give into her. Stand up to her and maybe a little fear of you is what she needs. Then you can live on your land that you have worked so hard for in PEACE. If the dog is up on all his shots you have NOthing to fear if she calls anyone. Which she probably won't but don't please don't let her threaten you.
    Refuse to put your dog down.Next time it will be your goats or kids or whatever she doesn't like.
    If you feel the need to take the dog to the shelter tomorrow then do it because you want to not because she demands it.
    As long as you apologize for the dog and offer to cover any medical expenses she cannot take your land, If you give in I am just afraid she will never let up.
    Sorry for ranting
    Joyce

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

A GSD that now has a biting history has to go.

BooBoo

15. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Are you SERIOUS???
    This dog broke the chain and attacked AN ADULT FEMALE.
    YES this woman can force the dog to be destroyed; and I don't blame her a bit!!!
    She is PROBABLY TRYING TO SAVE THE LIFE of a toddler. When an animal will break a chain and attack an ADULT ---- it should be DESTROYED.

Yes.

I don't blame this woman a bit, she's doing the right thing. I'm sorry for sancraft as she probably cares for the dog; but humans are more important than people and this dog needs to be destroyed (humanely, if possible) to prevent it from attacking a child in the future.

16. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

17. Wolf Flower

Wolf Flower Married, not dead! Supporter

If the woman reports the bite, then the dog must be either quarantined for rabies for 10 days, or euthanized and tested for rabies. So you need to have the dog securely confined somewhere, and not just bury it.

If she does not report the bite, you can dispose of the dog as you wish. But I agree, the dog should be put down. I love dogs, but there is no room in the world for a vicious one which makes unprovoked attacks.

If she's demanding you kill the dog RIGHT NOW, I think that might be a bit unreasonable--is there some reason why it can't wait until tomorrow? I don't know of a humane way to kill a large dog without a gun.

18. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

Even if the dog has all of it's shots, it will still need to be quarentined for 10 days or however long your state law says. If YOU kill the dog, you can face animal abuse charges. Wait for the vet or Humane Society to open tomorrow if you feel you MUST give up your dog!

19. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Yes, everyone please look at that page and those poor little kids and then tell me that this woman isn't doing the right thing!!!

This dog was on a chain and it broke it to attack! It should be put down and fast.

20. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Call the local cops & ask them if they'll send someone out to shoot the dog if this is what you want. Ether would only make it suffer & would be extremely inhumane & cruel. Ether only works on small animals quickly like a sick chicken,etc. A german shepherd is way to big & would suffer needlessly. Did the dog actually attack or just nip? Was it provoked into biting by being hit, etc when it went upto the woman? If a dog bites in WV they are usually put down & not put up for adoption if turned over to a shalter.