Need to know a little about growing & selling pigs!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cashcrop, May 9, 2004.

1. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

I have three people so far that want to buy hog 1/2's from me. I need to know what to charge. I also need to know if those of you who sell 1/2's of pig roll the processing,slaughtering and cost of the hog into the price or charge for hog and have them pay the processor seperately. These are my anticipated inputs: six 100 lb bags of feed @$9 each. Each pig $40 -50. The local butcher charges $50-slaughtering, Processing $0.32/lb, smoking & curing(hams & bacon) $0.65/lb, grinding & wrapping $0.50/llb and grinding $ 0.35/lb.

There are a couple other meat processors around. I will look into what they charge. I've heard our local butcher is a little high but, it would be less stressful on the hogs to slaughter right here on the premises!

TIA,
    Katie

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

3. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

I read every post in the pig forum that seemed to be along the order of my post here. I will look at that link!

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Here in Maine, the average is $150 for a 200-250 lb. hog on the hoof. We're responsible for transportation, slaughter/smoking fees, etc. For us, it came out to about $2.70/lb. for the meat we got, not counting lard, skin, etc. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

To take a 50 pound feeder pig to a market hog size (220/240lb) it will require 10 bushel of corn and 150 of protein supplement. This can be accomplished in 115 days. Figure your input costs on this and add in your fees for feeding, watering and risk along with some profit. Let the buyers pay the processors and transporting. Save some money by not buying the processed feed at $9 per bag.