Need to get rid of Fleas and Worms

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by fitwind, Dec 24, 2006.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

My DD cat (cooking fat) has fleas that I can't get rid of I have tried and tried. She had them really bad when we 1st got her (covered head to toe). She doesn't have a whole lot now but I alway find a few when I use a flea comb. I'm really allergic to fleas and can't stand them I have tried frontline (all I had was the kind for dogs, Flea Shampoo, and collars. She also has worms (small little things not very big) I bought some stuff at Wal-Mart and it doesn't seem to be working. Should I take her to the vet (I don't really have the money right now)? What can I get to :help: our poor little Cooking Fat?

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Well the worms are tapeworms. They came from the fleas.

How many times have you treated the cat with Frontline? Have you treated the house? It will take a few months to totally get rid of the fleas if all you are doing is Frontline (the eggs fall off the pet, hatch in the carpet, then hop back on the pet).

3. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

My understanding is, if you use the Frontline for dogs on a CAT, you will kill it slowly and loudly.

Mon

4. fitwind

I have given her several fleas bathes(they don't work very well) then I used frontline only for 1 month. I have sprayed the house (I know that there has to be eggs hatching) and I vacuum alot.I was afraid to use to much of the frontline because it was for dogs. I know it has to be doing some good though I'm not getting eatin alive by the fleas. I will keep using the frontline if it will work. That would be great!!!! Should I keep using the De-worming medicine too.

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

They make Frontline for cats too
    http://www.full-spectrum-dist.com/
    Here's a good place to get it. Most flea treatments you can get at Wal Mart or the grocery store are a waste of time and money

6. fitwind

Nope, she is just fine running around like she always has perfectly normal.

7. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

No that's not true. The Frontline for cats is the same as the Frontline for dogs (OK so the Frontline Plus for cats is MORE concentrated than the Frontline for dogs). You do have to dose it correctly though. For cats I believe it's 0.5 cc per cat (please check the deworming thread in the stickies to be sure). It needs to be used MONTHLY. Flea baths only work while the shampoo is on the cat.

Don't use over the counter flea meds for dogs on cats though, those DO kill cats.

8. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

You need to treat the house with something that kills more than the fleas- the larva and the eggs develop into fleas. Here is my protocol for dealing with fleas - posted to another person- but same applies. It does work.
    http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=151858

9. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

this is dashley, not papaw.

I was in apartment management for several years and dealt with many problems and fleas was one of those problems. You will need to treat your carpet with something but in the mean time you can put moth balls in your vacuum cleaner bag and vacuum everyday. The moth balls will kill them as you vacuum them up. It takes a while but you can get rid of them like this.

10. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

Hello and Happy New Year!!! I hope that by now your flea circus is under control and out of sight.
    I just wanted to offer a little friendly suggestion on what i use and seems to work. I have a rescue mission for abused, neglected and abandoned animals and we get flea and tick covered animals all the time. We use Adams Flea and Tick for inside treatment on carpets and furniture It is pretty good stuff. We use the frontline spray treatment it comes in a bottle, we always get the biggest one contains about 55 ml(17 oz.) It is for dogs, pups,cats and kittens, we have even used it on ferrets at a min. Note, this also kills chewing lice. As with all flea and tick killers, use with caution, but this one is pretty safe being it is used on adults and young ones over 8 weeks. Anything younger we just sponge bath in warm water with a little bit of dawn dish soap or baby shampoo. Not much. Some people go out and by that stuff over the counter and then end up with a tragedy, i.e. Doggie Gone To Heaven. Not realizing the dangers of them, even with flea collars. hartz is known well for that one.
    I wish you the best, for the upcoming flea season and if you get a head start on them, even treating your yard, you should have better luck next time.

11. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

I would call your local vet also, they sell a pill for cats and dogs ( cats it is $2 and dogs i think $4) that kills all fleas with in 24 hours, but then you must back it up with a preventative. and like everyone said treat the carpet, COUCH, and even your bed if she sleeps there

12. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

Giraffe baby is right, there is a pill for immediate results, but frontline spray is just as well and you don't have to buy both products.
    Just want to share that using them moth balls can be very hazardous to humans and your pets. People go out buying things to use for a typical idea they have and not take into consideration the dangers the product could have. A friend of mine thought she would use moth balls for mice control and also the fleas and what happened, she ended up having to go to hospital due to inhaling the vapors. You may not realize how dangerous they are if you are not feeling affects, but her lungs were damaged due to inhaling them. She was real sick. Even putting them in a vac. the air coming out while using the vac, you will still be breathing vapors.
    Just curious, have you treated your yard? Adams has a line for every use, basically. PetSmart and PetMed both carry the products. Frontline spray, we purchase online at revivalanimal.com and i think they have the other stuff there too. Revivalanimal is a good place to make purchases because the proceeds go to helping animals. Please, go check out their website. Petmed, has free shipping for orders of a certain amount.
    Once again good luck to yall! :)