Need to find machine shop guy in Wv.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Arlod2, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Arlod2

Arlod2 Well-Known Member

need to find or have need a tray for a King Wood/Coal stove the ash tray is really rusty and has holes. other then that the stove is in perfect shape.

Anyone know anyone.?????? Arlod2

2. Arlod2

Arlod2 Well-Known Member

Looks like a huge cake pan with high sides and like bends so it can slide out.

Help pplease. got good deal on stove free. willing to pay for part. Thanks Arlod2

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I know locally an excellent machine shop, but it's probably too far for you.

Just for a quip, he has a sign in his shop that says:

"We do work of your choice in 3 different ways:
    1. good and cheap, but not fast
    2. fast and good, but not cheap
    3. cheap and fast, but not good. "

4. Arlod2

Arlod2 Well-Known Member

and don't need til Sept. so slow,good and not stupidly expensive is fine.

LOL..... Arlod2

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Arlod2, PM me if you cannot find a local to make the part, I dabble in metal craft and may be able to fill the need. A drawing with dimensions will be needed.

6. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

WV is not a small state. It may help to know a little more about where in the state you live. I live in Grant County, if you are close I might be able to help.

Buck

7. Arlod2

Arlod2 Well-Known Member

I know I keep forgetting that. just moved into this area. okay these are the measurements.

length 2feet ,width 10 and 1 half inches across. 4 inches deep, with two inches wide bent full metal handles at the length ends.
    Looks like a large really large cake pan with built in handles.

Looks pretty simple around here the metalshop guy who said he could do it. can't touch it do to many projects right now,quated me $50. an hour and $100. in matreials give or take. and can't even start til Oct.

I don't argue the price. just the time. waiting til Oct when around this end of the mountains gets pretty cold at nights. I mean I got the stove for nothing and it's a nice stove. coal or wood and I'm getting my wood at a good deal too. $35. a truckload for seasoned hardwood. 8 foot long f150 bed. rounded up. I'm getting ten loads. this is our only source of heat. as the house was never set up for anything but.

Arlod2

8. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't know that side of the state. Can't really tell you where to go down there. I'm probley to far to the north to help you.

I think $100 in materials is way over the top. That just seems a little high to me. I don't pay that much for an entire sheet of sheet metal (4'x8' 18 gage).

Did you get online and see if you can order it from the maker of the stove? I know when I got my stove it needed a few things. I went to the local wood stove place told them what I needed and what I had. They had it there in a couple of days. Price was a little high, but you get that with the mom and pop type places. Just a thought.

Buck

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    This should be easy to make, just take a sheet of the desired thickness metal, draw out the dimensions and add the 4 inches height to the 4 sides. Cut out the unnecessary square corners and take it to a sheet metal shop to bend the sides up, they have a wide machine known as a metal brake that will do the job. Using stainless steel would be a life time article, but its a bit more costly that regular steel. Don't use galvanized metal for this, it gives off toxic fumes when heated. The handles can be installed after drilling, with a pair of bolts.