Need to find Amish store

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Trixie, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

We are headed to NYC at the end of this month to visit our daughter.
    We will be driving from NE Texas.

I would really, really like to find one - or more - of those real Amish stores. The ones you guys talk about that have the jar lids, etc.

We hope to go through that part of the country since we have never seen it, so if I could get the name of a town or towns that have such stores, I would be ever so grateful.

2. Traci Ann

Traci Ann Domestic Engineer

Going through MO? You can find alot there!

3. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

If you are coming up through Oklahoma. Clarita Oklahoma in Coal County has a big population of Amish.

4. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Could you give the names of the cities where the stores are located?

We are going to plan our route in order to find them.

5. tricklecreek

tricklecreek Well-Known Member

just south of iowa city iowa is a town called kalona, several good amish stores there, its near interstate 80

6. shellyr44

shellyr44 Well-Known Member

If you pass near Ohio at all, they have Lehman's. They are a Menonite family that have a big business that sells to Amish, homesteaders, etc. They have a web site and they are in a Amish neighborhood.

7. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

I agree... IF you are coming through Ohio you should try and stop at Lehman's.

8. goodshepherd

goodshepherd Good Shepherd Farm

When going through Pennsylvania try Lancaster County. They are everywhere. Lancaster, Intercourse, Bird In Hand, Euphrata....etc....check out a map. Other great places in that area are Gettysburg and Hershey. At Hershey they have a free tour of the chocolate factory. And I think NYC is only about four hours east of there.

9. kars1995

kars1995 Well-Known Member

Driven from Texas (Austin/Crawford) to parents in Ohio (Bucyrus) several times. Oh, then on to NY (Cortland) when we lived up there for a short time. If you go thru Ohio, you could to get on 71 N. from Columbus and exit on RT. 30 and head east. Kidron and Apple Creek aren't too far off of 30. Then you could keep heading east on 30, heading towards Canton. I've taken short cuts to get over to Youngstown, then you could take Hwy. 80 east on thru PA. Even though I live in Texas, I have a stash of popcorn (baby yellow - YUMMY) and bulk bread mixes from Lehman's. My mom uses mostly baking supplies from the Amish country so I call her with my order to mail down to me. :)
    (The exit for Rt. 30 is at Mansfield.)

10. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Ohio also has the Middlefield settlement. Most of the Amish stores are on Nauvoo road, and are actually in the homes and outbuildings of the Amish. Keep in mind that they are never open on Sunday, and are often not open past 4 or 5 pm, or on Saturday. These are the stores where the Amish actually shop so they are small and sometimes specialized, but they don't get more authentic!

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

If you head up to northern Indiana for any reason there's Shipshewana, and it's chock full of Amish Stores, and Auctions and Flea Markets.

12. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

We went from Chicago to NYC a few years ago, and Shipshewana was such a let down for us. I had never been through any Amish area before. The smarter half just kept her mounth shut and let me have my fun. It's very pretty and nice, but was nothing but tourist stuff. We had intended to buy some woodwork and baskets (like that's not for tourists). Instead I got socks from Asia.

We spent the night in Goshen across from a Walmart with a buggy barn. I was very upset because it's early in the evening on a Friday, and Walmart is filled with Amish buying cheap crap from China. They should be in their shops crafting superior hand goods for our upcoming shopping expedition!

I did learn a couple of things - Being of male genes it just takes me a little longer... If there are tour buses it won't tend to be that quaint. Avoid the weekends. The best wine shop in the Midwest is in Amish country across from the Goshen Walmart. They had lots of imports too!

13. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone.

That's exactly what I needed. Now we can plan our route.

I am interested in buying jar lids, cooking things. The tourist thing doesn't interest me - although if the farms are as picturesque as I have seen in magazines and on TV, I am sure that will be enjoyable.

Also, thanks for reminding me that they won't be open on weekends or late.

Again, Thanks.

Trixie

14. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

Don't forget to find a bakery. Many small towns will have simple maps to the Amish stores. Some are funky but with a little effort you can find some real gems. We were ready to give up when we hit the motherload for what we wanted.

15. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Kalona, IA already mentioned off I-80 or state hwy 218 by IA City. Rutledge, MO...that's interesting!!!

16. chicky momma

chicky momma Well-Known Member

We have an Amish bakery that comes to our farmers market. One thing to be aware of. They do not use preservatives in anything. So refrigerate if not eating immediately. I buy bread from them and especially in warm weather it goes bad in a few days. Put it in the fridge its good for a week or two. Lisa

17. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Lehman's non-electric is a dangerous place. I can spend hours there. Their catalog rocks too. The website has only a small fraction of the store stuff. The catalog is way better if you can't get to the store.

http://www.lehmans.com/

The PBS show "Frontier House" did much of their shopping for 1880 stuff for the show there.

I bought my woodstove from them, as well as my "Aladdin" lamp. When we lost power last year - it looked like we had electric looking at the house from the street. BRIGHT light, with no flicker. And if you use Aladdin's oil instead of kerosene, there's no smell. I also got my maple tree taps there, and a bunch of other stuff. love that place.

18. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Ooooo...there's an Amish bakery in Middlefield (Ohio). They make these cinnamon rolls that you can smell clear down the road, and they are as big as a plate! There are also two awsome cheese factories there. Middlefield swiss is out of this world!

19. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

There is a fantastic Mennonite bakery on U.S. Hwy 64 in Whiteville, Tennessee.

(Whiteville is in Hardeman County, about an hour east of Memphis).

You can hit the bakery, which is called Backermann's Bakery, then drive on into Memphis and hit Graceland.

Bakermann's Bakery is open on Tuesday through Saturday until 5 pm. They are closed on Sunday and Monday.

Tomorrow morning, the Mennonites are having their annual breakfast / lunch / Mennonite handmade stuff auction tomorrow right across the street from the bakery.

Hubby and I will be there -- we always go early for their breakfast, since they have the greatest breakfast sausage you will ever eat and they always give you plenty of homegrown food for your dollar.

They usually auction off homemade quilts, homemade (fine quality) furniture, lawn furniture, and lots of other old fashioned, home made stuff.

Plus they have old fashioned games and contests.

Plenty of outsiders get to know the Mennonites for the first time through the bakery, the fresh fruit and vegetable store next door to it, and the annual school fair.

Money raised at the annual fair supports their little Mennonite school for the next year.

Our family never misses the fair, and we frequently purchase at the bakery as well. We don't ever go to the fresh fruit and veggie store because of the fact that we raise most of our own veggies and fruit.