Need to curb Miss Friendly a bit?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cjb, Jul 21, 2006.

1. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

We have 4 8-9 week old doelings this Spring which are strictly dam-raised so most are somewhat shy. However... one of them "Dotty" is very outgoing. She loves attention and will walk right up to you and put up her front leg on your leg or lap so you'll scratch her belly. If you sit down,she will sit ON you. I've noticed now, however, that if you turn your back on her, she will stand on her hind legs and put her front hooves on your back. Obviously, this would not be fun to have her do when she's over 100lbs.

Is this considered baby behavior she's likely to grow out of or is it dominance? Either way - how should I treat her in this? I hate to ruin her sweet personality. Right now, I'm just saying "no" and putting her feet off of me. So far, doesn't do much good.

She is soooo dang cute, though!

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

NO! Sorry, I have a 3 yr old Nigerian who still does it. Luckily shes only 65lbs. Ive tried squirting her with water, kneeing her when she jumps, clocking her in her head, and yelling at her. She doesnt care, she wants a belly rub at all costs. Maybe youll have better luck breaking yours of the habit! I do have to say, however dirty I may get or how obnoxious she is, she is still my favorite. I would rather an over freindly goat to a snot any day!
    GOOD LUCK!!

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Bottle babies always do this. Normally they stop when they are bred for the first time, if not sooner. I have a couple of dam-raised kids who will also do it, and am glad they are that friendly. Of course, I'm used to it. I did used to try to break them of it, but it is such normal goat behavior that not much seems to work. If you watch your herd interacting, I suspect you'll notice the babies jump all over the adults, so it's not just you. I've seen babies jump on a doe's back and ride (while the doe was standing up). Goats are just jumpers!

Kathleen