Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a birthday party for my oldest DS who will be 14 tomorrow. (i know this is last minute) :) My friend is making 2 pots of meatballs, there will be a birthday cake, drinks and chips. What else could I add to this without spending the evening cooking out on the grill? The party will be from 7-11pm so I feel like I need to have a little more for them to eat. There will be swimming and volleyball. I thought about a meat and cheese tray with bread and mayo/ mustard. I could use some other ideas...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Oh, fun! A luau would be fun. Since it's a boy, I wouldn't go too far w/ decorating! Maybe just a brown grass skirt around the food table. Is there anyway you could put the meatballs in a bowl and make up something to go around it that looks like one of those roasted pigs w/ an apple in its mouth.? A bonfire would be nice, too, if you are not in a dry area and have a spot. You could serve drinks in those plastic margarita glasses w/ umbrellas if he'll let you. Another thought is to do a fear factor/reality challenge type thing where they have to eat/do gross stuff. We did this with our youth group one time and it was a huge hit. We did an obstacle course, fear factor where they had teams and had to do a challenge, then run to the next "station" where a teammate would do the next challenge. Some of the challenges were: eat a jabanero pepper OR squid; reach in an aquarium and count out correct change (that is buried in sand and filled w/ hundreds of crickets; have straws and bowls of skinny worms and have them suck on the straw to hold a worm on and transfer it to another bowl; take a slide down a slip and slide that you have just covered in raw eggs. Another idea is to play that game where you line up red-rover style, number everyone on each side, put silly string/eggs/ shaken up sodas/whip cream cans/etc in the middle and call out numbers as the two people w/ that number from each team race to the middle to cream each other w/ whatever you have in the middle. It's even more fun if you call several #'s at a time. You may want to have a water hose handy if you do any of this, so that they don't ruin your pool!!

Anyways, our experience w/ teens is: they EAT alot and just about anything (of course 14 yr old girls sometimes won't do this IN FRONT OF BOYS!) so just have munchies available. They like to do gross stuff and they like competition...have a volleyball championship, play bocci ball, or have swim relays. I'm sure it will go great whatever you decide. Have fun.

Rachael

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Popcorn is easy, filling and cheap, too. Sounds like boys would love the fear factor idea! Girls and boys together might, too. Have fun and let us know what you did, and how the kids liked it! Movies, too? Jan in Co

·
Registered
865 Posts
For my 16th we had a murder mystery. It was neat reading the script and trying to guess who could have done it.

I see they also have comedy parties, and scavenger hunt parties.
I would like to see a trivia party. Play jeopardy or something.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snugglebunny said:
Whatever happened to the days when a teen party was just pizza and a rented movie? That's all my parents had for me or my siblings.

I am not really looking for a "theme". Just inexpensive ideas to feed about 30 kids and family without spending my evening over the grill. That's why I thought about a meat and cheese tray with bread and mayo/ mustard. That would be instead of doing what I usually do- hamburgers and hotdogs. The kids will already have plenty to do with swimming and volleyball, so I don't really need to think of any other activities.

·
Registered
640 Posts
OH GOODNESS!! 30 people? Wow... I remember for my birthday I was allowed to have TWO friends instead of just ONE!

Gee whiz. I like the meat tray idea. Any finger foods are a good idea, I think. Meatballs, meat tray, chips, those little hotdogs, etc.

OOH OOH! I think a Make-your-own-sundae table would be a good idea too!! Stuff like that always goes over well with boys.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do like the make your own sundae table idea. That sounds really neat. Yes, it will be about 30 people. We have a super large family ( immediately family is 21 people) and then some of his friends. It may very well even be more than 30 people there. My son has had a horrible time the last 6 months in and out of the hospital. So, this is not only a surprise birthday party for him, but it is also a welcome home, it's finally over kind of thing. Generally, I do not even give my kids a birthday party after around 12 until they turn 16 (they usually just get their favorite dinner with cake for their birthday after 12yo). But, given the circumstances, I have decided to bend my own rule this time... :angel: AND he has been waiting for this birthday for 2 years. He is excited (lol) that his birthday is on friday the 13th this year!!! I was trying to incorporate that into the party somehow, but it is unimportant... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sorry, guess I misunderstood....and got carried away. I don't know how inexpensive meat and cheese tray would be...they are both kinda pricey. But, I do love the sundae idea. Hope ya'll have a great time.

Rachael

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
matt633 said:
Sorry, guess I misunderstood....and got carried away. I don't know how inexpensive meat and cheese tray would be...they are both kinda pricey. But, I do love the sundae idea. Hope ya'll have a great time.

Rachael

Don't apologize. I do think that I am going to use some of your fear factor ideas since this will be on friday the 13th! :shrug: Kids at this age are so weird and sometimes better just left alone to occupy themselves. There are some things that my son cannot do, results of his accident, so that is why I am trying to plan a little more than I normally would. :help:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Food hits for teens.... from my experience.

Dips for chips...

1 pound hamburger
small block velvetta
small jar salsa.

Brown hamburger and drain, melt the other ingredients and keep it in a crock pot, as it must be warm to be good. Serve with tortilla chips.

For thirty, You'll have to do several recipes.

Black bean salsa

Can black beans, drained and rinsed
can corn, drained
1/2 chopped red onion
chopped green pepper (or anykinda pepper in the garden)
handfull of parsley or coriander
enough italian dressing to mix

Serve with chips.

Pizza, lots of it, they don't care if it's the cheaper sort. Domino's here does 3 pizzas for $15.

Put canned cola's in a tin tub, and fill with ice. be sure to have bottled water, as well.

Big bowl of tiny sized candy bars.

Rice Krispie treats (you'll need several pans of these for 30)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts