Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small flock of Buff Orpingtons & Silver Laced Wyandotts that has always been separate from my main flock of the same type. (One hen was determined to raise her own brood inside...yes inside...my barn.) This flock is about 4 months old and has never roosted in the chicken house. They have chosen to fly all the way up to the beam that connects my loft to the other part of the barn and roost there, which means I had to create a top for one of the goats' feeder bins to keep the XXX out of the hay placed in it.

Winter is coming on and I'd like to put the roosters from this flock in the freezer; however, catching them during the day is something I simply cannot do and climbing up to get them during the night is something my body won't let me do. So, I'm needing suggestions as to how to catch these birds........

I've been thinking maybe I could get a long stick and knock them off that bean at night when they cannot see to get back up onto something; yet am not finding a stick long enough to do this. With it being cold weather, I sure cannot use my heavy water sprayer or I'd ruin the winter bedding for my goats. Any ideas would be appreciated....

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
what about feeding them just outside the barn door then any way to block the door way area off with a cage something during the days so when they come in for the night they go in the make shift pen cage

1 - 2 of 2 Posts