Need suggestions...pets and garden not a good mix!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Was working in my raised beds this afternoon and having a terrible time. Turned around one time and the new dog was sitting right smack in the middle of my English Pea bed. Turned around another time and she was digging in the bed I was working in (planted my potatoes today). Then one of the cats kept digging up the potato chunks as I planted them.

SIGH...it was my dream to build a chicken run about four feet wide all the way around the garden with a chicken coop attached to the back of my potting shed. Hubby doesn't think this would look "pretty". It's going to take an act of congress to get him to put up the white picket fence :rolleyes: he wants. Until then, how am I to keep the dogs and cats out of the garden?

(The other four dogs have no interest in the garden beds, but I know all the cats are going to be a pain).

2. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I am not sure if they work or not but I saw some cat and dog repellants at a garden store.

3. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've learned that the only way to keep my four dogs out of the garden is a fence. They love vegetables, doesn't matter what kind. That won't keep the cats out though. I would keep a big squirt gun near your door, and soak kittie whenever you catch her digging. Chances are if she's digging, she's gonna leave you a present, too :haha: . You want to avoid that if at all possible.

4. barefootfarmer

barefootfarmer Member

A fence for sure. It started out to keep the deer etc but i found that I needed it more for the dogs who want to fertilize and "water" the plants and for the cats who think it is a litterbox. This last year i was given a bunch of that orange plastic construction fencing, which is a lot easier for me to handle than metal fencing which usually ends up injuring me in some way.

5. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    In small areas I have thrown rose clippings down...cats don't like the thorns too much.

6. Ravenlost

Guess I better really get after hubby about that fence. I know there's not much hope in keeping the cats out (I have five), but the dogs definitely do more damage!

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I thought I would get smart,put the Hound in my Garden to keep Coons out of my Corn.He distroyed my Beans :eek: :confused: :waa:

big rockpile

8. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

A fence for dogs and what I have done for cats is provide them with an outdoor litter box. I made a sand box, like a childs play area. They prefer to do their business in there, rather than the garden. Just go and clean it out regularliy and they will continue to use it.

9. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

gee raven that poor hubby of yours is going to have to add some hours to his days!! have to agree that a fence is the way to go. when we built the new garden first thing we did was put in a fence to keep the critters out(cats and coons excepted),went with 2x4 welded to keep lambys and chickens out .have to make the fence high enough that the dogs don't jump over .there is a deer fencing like cattle fence that the spacing at the bottem would keep the dogs out and could double as a climbing trellis for tomatoes or viny flowers there are clips that allow you to make brace panels with steel fence posts though a piece of flat metal and two bolts does the same thing

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

had an idea for the cats!! give them their own litter box like jackie said then plant catnip in a totaly enclosed cage so they can smell it but not chew it to the ground !! will be trying that here. with all our cats, 5 of ours ,three of moms and my brothers five plus 10-20 barn cats there is a lot of cat traffic around the farm!! then hopefully will leave your garden alone!! if this does not work try one of these. will work with the cats !! not so sure of nut bar dogs !! http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=44958&cat=2,51555&ap=1

11. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Our garden is inside 'the secret garden' AKA poop free zone. We fenced off an area NO dogs NO birds allowed!!! My raised beds are scattered around inside there. Its turning out really nice. The dogs and turkey sit right at the base of the fence line looking in....can I come in?? NOPE!!! I hope to get more beds done this week but I got that darned cold that is going round :no:
    O and for the record we were nice and let our male dog come in the secret garden he walked right over to by pea bed and hiked his leg!!! Out he went :no:
    Try and be nice and look what he does.....

12. Ravenlost

Hubby wants a pretty white picket fence around the front of the garden. The back will be partly horse fence, partly chicken fence...but the front has to be pretty. I told him that was fine ( :no: ) but I had to have a gate. Hopefully I can drag him to Lowe's next week to get the supplies. I'll put it up myself if necessary.

Until that happens I guess I'll just have to carry a long switch to the garden with me! :yeeha:

13. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

lay chicken wire over the garden so the animals cant walk on it !!! It will naturally bow, and sooner or later the animals will find another place to play !!

14. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Well, definatly a fence is best... till then I'd say training, training, training. I was relentless on my critters and they fianally figured it wasn't worth the hassle and stopped going in. (also helpped when I did have a fence and the gate got left open, they still wouldn't go in) Marigolds planted around the outside will also keep 'most' critters away. I dealt mostly with dogs, but I know cats can be trained, it's just harder. The litterpan and catnip idea sounds like a good idea! Best of luck!!

Kaza

15. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I wish your hubby would go with the chicken moat around the garden! That's what we did, and it works very well!

But, it still doesn't keep the cats out, because corner posts are wood. They usually only go in when I'm working out there, though, because the favorite past-time of some of the chickens is cat chasing! :eek:

Still, you're gonna need a fence to keep the dogs out...after all...you showed them that that spot was for digging when you put in the taters!

Meg

16. Ravenlost

I plan to let hubby have the garden his way this year and next year I bet the chicken pen will end up being all the way around the garden! I don't figure he'll be very happy when the deer, etc. eat all his corn and the tomatoes.

Saw a plan for a chicken pen/enclosed garden in an Organic Gardening magazine. I need to dig it out and post it on the fridge so he has to look at it every day!

Until then I will do the chicken wire over the beds (I currently have four raised beds 4x16' with more planned). Plus get after any dog/cat that dares step foot in my beds!

17. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

Wow, this is what I want to do !! Does anyone know where to get that meshing, (without ripping it off a construction site, which would be tempting lol)

Pam in OK

18. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

I saw some at the garden store today that is already made into the bow shape, this is another good idea :)

Pam in OK

19. stuckinsd

stuckinsd Well-Known Member

Up North here, that fencing is also used as snow fence and can be bought at the feed store/hardware store. Just an idea of somewhere to look.

stuckinsd

20. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

They have orange construction fence at Home Depot, here, it's about 20 dollars a roll?

hollym