Need suggestions for simple accounting software

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by snoozy, Feb 23, 2005.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm looking for advice and opinions regarding simple, straightforward, small business accounting software. I've used Quicken and really just need a fairly simple checking acct and income & expenditure type set-up similar to it, which can generate reports. The newer Quickbooks does not seem to serve my purposes simply. (As you can see, since I have the word simple in every sentence, that is a key attribute that I am looking for :haha: )

Free is nice, but I would also buy a good package if I found one. This is for my emerging internet tea business. Has anyone used Gnu or Turbocash? Anyone have passionate opinions about them or any other accounting software? (You KNOW you do...)

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

simply accounting - made for Canada is the simplest to use and can be used in US

free?

or peachtree

3. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I'm with Rose- use Microsoft money.
    If you aren't doing payroll, it does everything you need.

If you are doing payroll, get a payroll service and spare yourself the aggravation of the mistakes!

(my husband has had his own businesses for twenty years, and I've done the books....... :rolleyes: )

4. snoozy

I looked at the Simply Accounting website, and I was trying to see if there is a difference between the US and Canadian versions (besides dealing with GST.) Hard to tell -- but one thing is different: the US version is $49 USD, and the Canadian version is $199 CAD -- a substantial difference. Do you just happen to have the Canadian version, or is there a reason why you chose it?

5. boxwoods

I choose anything that is free over the others.
    pm me if you want the program

6. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

7. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

I use Smart Money, I believe its by Idiogen. There is a free 30 day download then if you want you can purchase it as a download for $19 or with a CD for $29. I'm pleased with it, use it for the farm and for personal business.

8. snoozy

Boxwoods -- Thanks for the offer...I may take you up on it after I research different acctg packages. Free is one of my favourite colours, too! :haha:

9. boxwoods

Well, before you buy any program, send me a note. Almost any program is free if you look in the right place. As a test to see if you like the program you know? :) :)

10. patarini

Well remember if u use the program -- pay for it please! I wish I had all the money that has been stolen from me by people hacking software. I have no problems with try it first and see if it works -- but if u use it and dont pay you are a thief even if you didnt intend to be one! Remember someone busted their ass to write that code -- and taking it from him is the same as walking into his/her house and stealing the silver!

11. snoozy

Patarni -- I agree with you there. I wasn't looking to rip anyone off -- I meant open source-type free software. Since this is for my business, and since it is fairly simple (there's that word again... :haha: ), I think a $30-70 program is both within my budget and reasonable for the application. But free (legally!) is also within my budget...

12. snoozy

I'm looking at the download page of this, and it says it "supports Windows 2000, EXP and 2002" (or something similar. I have Windows 98. Does that mean it won't work in Windows 98?

13. patarini

Oops forgot -- there is an extra step to installing on 98
    If you receive the error: cannot execute <drive:\path>\instmisi.exe and you are running Win 98 or Win ME then we suggest the following:

Known Install Problems on Win 98/ME
    1) Windows cannot access the file instmisi.exe.
    2) Installing MSDE2000A will also require a REBOOT after installation. This will cause Free Accounting setup to fail.
    3) You will need to MANUALLY start Microsoft SQL service after you install MSDE or you will not be able to connect to your database.

Solution:
    1) Install MSDE 2000A Manually. Please refer to the following articles for MSDE installation assistance and instructions:
    MDSE Install Troubles
    2) After MSDE install and perform the required reboot then Double Click on the MSDE/MSSQL service icon in your TRAY (next to the DATE and TIME on lower right corner of your desktop) and START the MSSQL Service.
    3) Execute the FreeAccounting Installer and select CONNECT TO EXISTING MSSQL SERVER installation option. Use LOCALHOST as computername. Username and password will be the same as you provided to the MSDE2000A setup application when you followed the steps outlined in MDSE Install Troubles FAQ.

copied from the simple accounting help site

14. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I use quickbooks. I have used it for several years now. You can get a version that supports payroll taxes and such, or the standard version like I use. I'm not sure what kind of reports you need, but there are many customizable and standard. I import a jpg of some insect each month to print on the invoices.

15. snoozy

My husband gave me his extra computer which has more modern stuff on it, so that I could enter the new millenium. [Grrrr....sounds of kicking and screaming...]

So I have downloaded the freeaccounting, but I am not getting very far in making it actually do anything. Meanwhile, I have signed up for a free 30 day trial of simplyaccounting, however they say they will email me the info I need to get started in 4 business days. Why it isn't an immediate thing, I do not know. Maybe I'll go back and jam myself into a new configuration to adjust to Quickbooks. I hate torquing my little brain to adapt to "powerful" software. "Powerful software" always means it is more difficult to do the simplest things and has features you never wanted, needed or will learn to use. Waaaah.

Luddite? Mea culpa! :(