Need stud service and/or advice about using pygmy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by outofmire, Sep 25, 2004.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

Well, it's breeding season, and the person who sold me these two does lost both her bucks this year. So, I'm looking at the possibility of not being able to have them bred. I have a mini-mancha and nigerian dwarf...both are 7 months now. I'm just wanting to know if breeding them to a pygmy is even an option. I'm thinking it'll be okay with the mini, and I've been told that it's not "recommended" to do this with a ND, but what else can I do.

BTW, I'm in Arkansas....so if anyone knows a breeder here...please let me know.

Thanks

2. outofmire

BTW, the cause of her losing the bucks were:

the first one was lost due to feeding the buckling alfalfa
    The second is alive, but isn't functioning. She thinks it may be due to an accident or possibly vitamin/mineral deff.

Just didn't want anyone to be wary of servicing our does because of a concern that our does were sickly.

3. DWFarms

DWFarms Member

Ok I wouldn't recommend breeding either to a pygmy doe. If it was visa versa it wouldn't matter but seeing the bucks are bigger it does matter. That is if you doe it the typical stubby short pygmy.

A mini mancha is half full sized LaMancha and half ND. Thats defently a no no. you would only bred him to other mini manchas or a full size LaMancha.

As for the ND. He should be way bigger as well.

Just remember just because there small now doesn't matter. There babies will be regualar size.

Pymgys in general sometimes have problems having pymgy babies. I would hate to see you doe end up getting a C-Section. Or worse, loose her.

There are two styles of Pygmys.

Old Style and New Style.

The old style are small but has the appearance of a longer legs or slender body.

The new style has a short chubby look. Shot in length and in height. If I was you I would be looking for a pygmy.

In the mini breeds you look for a buck smaller than you does. Breeding to a larger breed buck will only give you problems.

4. outofmire

My mini-mancha and nigerian are both girls. Did I say they were bucks? Sorry about the confusion.

5. DWFarms

DWFarms Member

Sorry about that. LOL I thought you purchase the Pygmys and has a mini mancha or ND buck. LOL I guess it was just they way it was worded.

6. outofmire

Well, I think I may have the problem solved. I was doing some research the other night and stumbled across a goat assoc. membership list that included breeds raised and whether they offer buck service. Well, that gave me some leads which led to some more. I still have some calls to make, but I may have found a mini-mancha buck for my mini doe as well as an undersized ND for my very tiny ND doe. Thank God!

Thanks for your responses.

7. DWFarms

DWFarms Member

That is some awesome news!!! Congradulations!