Need Source for Propane Forge Igniter

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

About a month ago I purchased a used propane forge. The ingiter on it has been placed too close to the front port and basically melted. I have been unable to find a replacement.

Basically it just produces a spark. Has a flp switch with two wires running off it. One is a ground and the other goes to a ceramic small think sparkplug type arrangement. The end of it goes into one of the two gas ports. When you flipped the switch it produced a spark in the gas port, igniting the propane going into the forge.

I can live without it (matches work OK), but am interested in finding a replacement. Can anyone suggest a supply source or at least tell me what to look for on google as far as proper terminology?

Ken Scharabok

2. J10Kev

J10Kev Member

Sounds pretty fancy!LOL I just use a long butane lighter. Will follow though as it sounds neat.

Kev

3. JWH123

JWH123 Well-Known Member

Um, what about a replacement ceramic lighter made for gas grills? About $5 I'd guess. The normal red pushbutton type and I believe there are ones that have a rotary knob that will do the same thing.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
  5. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I belive what you are talking about is a Piezo ignition system. They are used on all sorts of gas appliances. My BBQ, propane refrigerator and heater all have one. Google Piezo.

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Thank you for leads. Didn't occur to me there might have been a button on top as that area had been completely melted. With the piece of spring sticking up, throught it might have been a switch instead.

Ken Scharabok