Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for somewhere that sells herb seed in bulk. I'm wanting to plant several acres worth of seed.

I'm specifically looking for:

Borage
Catmint
Anise Hyssop
Fennel
Horehound
Lemon Balm
Basil
Various Mints

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
There are a bunch of options online. Harris Seeds comes to mind. Along with the reviews and recommendations you'll see here, make sure to check out the Garden Watchdog section on the Dave's Garden site for pretty comprehensive reviews.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/#b

ETA: re: fennel, It's allelopathic to many plants. It inhibits growth of some plants near it. I've heard it kills some plants, cross pollinates with some, making for nasty tasting dill in particular, and causes some to bolt earlier than normal. But the seeds are great in rye bread... :)

Reactions: TxMex

·
Registered
863 Posts
ETA: re: fennel, It's allelopathic to many plants. It inhibits growth of some plants near it. I've heard it kills some plants, cross pollinates with some, making for nasty tasting dill in particular, and causes some to bolt earlier than normal. But the seeds are great in rye bread... :)
I am pretty sure that allelopathy just means that one plant can have an influence on the growth of another plant and that influence can be either positive or negative.

With regards to fennel my research in companion planting has revealed that fennel, as you stated, is negatively allelopathic to almost everything. Supposedly, dill and fennel are mutually positively allelopathic and will cross pollinate.

... Fennel affecting the taste of dill? I have no idea, but I have always grown fennel around my dog kennels to repel fleas (a trick I learned from my grandfather). Believe me, it does seem to work.

In my garden dill is now planted with brassicas, cucumbers and squash. It supposedly repels squash bugs and a few other nasties. For the last two years I have done this and I have hardly seen a squash bug in my garden.

TRellis

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
... Fennel affecting the taste of dill? I have no idea, but I have always grown fennel around my dog kennels to repel fleas (a trick I learned from my grandfather). Believe me, it does seem to work.

In my garden dill is now planted with brassicas, cucumbers and squash. It supposedly repels squash bugs and a few other nasties. For the last two years I have done this and I have hardly seen a squash bug in my garden.

TRellis

Good to know. Thanks for the info TRellis!

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
While Frontier doesn't sell seed AFAIK, they are a coop and members may buy bulk seed to grow for them. I would contact one of their buyers and ask if either some of their suppliers have sources or perhaps Frontier as a coop assists members with seed purchases

.http://www.frontiercoop.com/products/bulk.php

There's another company that sells bulk seed for reclamation work. I'll have to dig for the name. I've used them in the past. They were good as far as shrubs and trees. But I recall they had other stuff too.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm looking for somewhere that sells herb seed in bulk. I'm wanting to plant several acres worth of seed.

I'm specifically looking for:

Borage
Catmint
Anise Hyssop
Fennel
Horehound
Lemon Balm
Basil
Various Mints
Just out of curiosity, are you doing this just for the benefit to the bees, for the herbs only or both the bees and the herbs?

TRellis

·
Premium Member
25,219 Posts
Why would you want a bunch of seeds for lemon balm and catmint? All you need are a few plants in the proper location and you'll end up with dozens (hundreds) of plants. Also, a lot of mints don't come true from seed. You'll be much further ahead to get a plant or two and propagate it from cuttings yourself.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
The horehound needs a different soil from the others.
It likes a drier, poorer soil.

And as far as dill and fennel (and they should be apart) you can just by the dill seed by the pound as a bulk food and plant it.
Same for any herb that is used as a seed.. fennel, dill, coriander etc...
best way to go.

And the mint type plants don't really spread by seed, so their seeds are tiny.
Best to get someone to send you a few cuttings.
Root them, grow them a bit, take more cuttings etc..
and by spring you should have a good amount of small plants ready to go.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just out of curiosity, are you doing this just for the benefit to the bees, for the herbs only or both the bees and the herbs?

TRellis
Yes. I am trying to get year around food for my bees. I'm not trying to make honey so much as I am trying to not have to feed.

The horehound needs a different soil from the others.
It likes a drier, poorer soil.

And as far as dill and fennel (and they should be apart) you can just by the dill seed by the pound as a bulk food and plant it.
Same for any herb that is used as a seed.. fennel, dill, coriander etc...
best way to go.

And the mint type plants don't really spread by seed, so their seeds are tiny.
Best to get someone to send you a few cuttings.
Root them, grow them a bit, take more cuttings etc..
and by spring you should have a good amount of small plants ready to go.
I have a wide variety of conditions on my place.

Yes I would like to buy seeds in bulk by the pound...that is why I started this thread.

I was wondering about the mints from seed. I've always started with plants. I'm just almost a teensy bit afraid to get it established back in the swamp. It may take over this end of Texas.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
If you are trying to feed the bees, try local wildflowers.
They have more staying power then the herbs.
You can add herbs too, but wildflowers are a better fit.

And don't rob all of the honey.
Leave enough to get them through the winter and you don't have to sugar them.
And it makes for healthier hives too.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
The company is Earnest Conservation.

http://www.ernstseed.com/products/native-vs-naturalized-seeds/

I've bought seed and plants from them in the past for riparian plantings. If you're interested in natives (I was) they may have what you need. Looking at the entire ecology from soil up may be the key to a self sustaining setup. Your land grant college/s in Texas may have some one that works with that concept.

The NRCS and extension service rarely have individuals with that background. There is an individual at WVU that has run a fungi lab for decades. Let me know if you need contact info and I'll get it.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are trying to feed the bees, try local wildflowers.
They have more staying power then the herbs.
You can add herbs too, but wildflowers are a better fit.

And don't rob all of the honey.
Leave enough to get them through the winter and you don't have to sugar them.
And it makes for healthier hives too.
Pardon me while I scream in frustration!

The idiot that had my place leased sprayed right as the goldenrod was coming up. After I told him numerous times that there would be no spraying. He sprayed all 350 acres. I have not EVER had to feed my bees before.....not in almost 24 years of keeping bees. I am a huge advocate of honey being the proper food for bees.

This land has unfortunately been leased(I had no say) for cattle for a long time and has been sprayed and sprayed and sprayed. The bees just barely got enough nectar this spring to build up and make comb. They went into summer with very little in the way of stores. I was praying for a good fall harvest since I know this place used to be shoulder high in goldenrod when I was a kid. The only place that had a bit of goldenrod is in a bog that you literally cannot get a sprayer into.

So, I am trying to re-establish the native wildflowers. It will take years and thousands of dollars. Pardon me if I try to plant something during the interim.

Does anyone know of a source of seeds? Someone that sells by the pound rather than by the packet?

·
Premium Member
25,219 Posts
ARGH!!!! Hit the back button in the wrong window and lost my post.

Bulk wildflower seed suppliers:
http://www.wildflowermix.com/info/apple/value-mixtures.html
http://www.oregonwholesaleseed.com/
http://www.bloomingflowerseeds.com/WILDFLOWER_MIXED_SEEDS.html
http://www.applewoodseed.com/
http://www.americanmeadows.com/wildflower-seeds/bulk-wildflower-seeds

How could we have known your whole property was sprayed? I'm sorry you lost the wildflowers and hope you can get a new meadow established.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I've been wanting to do something similiar for a permaculture thing so I'm hoping you get more suggestions! I'd like bulk veggie seeds too.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Pardon me while I scream in frustration!

The idiot that had my place leased sprayed right as the goldenrod was coming up. After I told him numerous times that there would be no spraying. He sprayed all 350 acres. I have not EVER had to feed my bees before.....not in almost 24 years of keeping bees. I am a huge advocate of honey being the proper food for bees.

This land has unfortunately been leased(I had no say) for cattle for a long time and has been sprayed and sprayed and sprayed. The bees just barely got enough nectar this spring to build up and make comb. They went into summer with very little in the way of stores. I was praying for a good fall harvest since I know this place used to be shoulder high in goldenrod when I was a kid. The only place that had a bit of goldenrod is in a bog that you literally cannot get a sprayer into.

So, I am trying to re-establish the native wildflowers. It will take years and thousands of dollars. Pardon me if I try to plant something during the interim.

Does anyone know of a source of seeds? Someone that sells by the pound rather than by the packet?

Sorry.
Not psychic.
How was I to know?
And, no.
I don't think I will pardon you.
I wish you well in your endeavors.

·
Registered
863 Posts
If your intent is to still go with the herbs as opposed to wild flowers here is a place that offers almost all that you seek by the pound minimally and sometimes by 5 pound quantities. And they also offer wildflower mixes. There is a Southwest wildflower mix.

http://www.edenbrothers.com/store/

I had a friend that recently worked for them. I have also ordered from them and never had any problems.

The prices may shock you though. :eek: Or maybe they are good prices. The only thing that I know is that the prices were shocking to me.

I know from firsthand experience that borage will self seed like crazy and cat mint is a tad on the invasive side. I am still pulling runners out of one bed.

Also look into Bee Balm. I grew five or six plants one year and the year after that I had 50 to 60 plants that were self sewn. The third year I was pulling them out left and right and still had a hundred or so in the garden. And the bees loved them. The hummingbirds too.

TRellis

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry.
Not psychic.
How was I to know?
And, no.
I don't think I will pardon you.
I wish you well in your endeavors.
You should not assume. That was wrong.

I do not know why this happens so often in some of these forums. Someone comes on looking for information and instead of being helpful folks start telling them what they are doing wrong. It is almost like watching chickens peck another chicken to death.

This is one of the forums I don't come on very often because of this. That's a shame because I've been an organic gardener for longer than I've been an organic beekeeper and could possibly offer some good advice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts