need some type of machine to ..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by motdaugrnds, Jul 17, 2006.

1. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I have a 35' x 35' barn for my goats that need cleaning twice a year. This is alot of hard work for me. Since the barn is adjacent to my large garden, I am thinking of getting some type of a machine that would push the old bedding right into the garden, spreading it or stacking it to compost. The door from barn to garden is 10' wide; but the widest area "inside" the barn that I will need to run the machine thru is only 6' wide. (I might, also, need something that will turn around in its own space.)

I also want this machine to have teeth on the thingy that pushes the bedding so I can cultivate my garden if need be or renovate my pastures when they get bumpy with old growth.

Any ideas as to what might work best for the least amount of money? (I will also need something that will not require alot of repairs.)

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Get a hog. Throughout the year as you have the goats in there throw some whole corn on the ground. Let the waste build and then get the hog. Put the hog in the building and throw some corn around. Once the hog realizes there is corn buried, it will uproot all the waste to the point it is easily forked. Remove the hog and finish it on clean feed and then send it to the processor.

3. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Don't know if this would help you, I have a little garden tractor and it has a number of attachments that you can do various things with.. Two of my neighbors have two types, a Kabota with a "shovel blade" end and the other is a John Deere with a nice assortment of stuff to go on it for about anything you would need to do with it.

Would something like these help you?

LQ

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

sounds like you need a bobcat.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You are describing a Bobcat - a skidsteer loader. Small ones can be had for $4-5000 in good shape. You can find deals for $1500 but those might take some work from time to time.

A small tractor & loader can do it too, if you can use a tractor for other things it is a more flexable machine.

However, the skid steer is more dedicated to exactly what you describe.

--->Paul

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Feed the goats beside the garden in a little shed on runners. When the manure piles up, move the shed. To do field work, feed the neighbor with the tractor some cherry pie every so often. As long as he don't break your pie plate there shouldn't be any repairs to make.

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep sounds like a good job for a Bob Cat.Could you maybe rent it out to make it pay for itself also?
    Thought id mention i seen the landscaper using a neat attachment on a Bob Cat last week.Not sure what you call it.But it is a spiked roller about 3inces round and the width of the Cat and spins really fast.Chewed big red clay dirt clods into fine dirt in seconds.And i do mean big red clay dirt clods.The city had dug up the yard when it was very wet,to install the gas lines under the side walk.Thats the way they do things here.Lay the streets and side walks usually even finish the yards.Then the city comes in and digs them all up. :rolleyes:

The down side of a Bob Cat is they do not level as well as a tractor.You can tell which was used to do most new yards around here.Cats leave the ground slightly rolling,id assume do to the short wheel base.