Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
It's never that easy. You'll have to heat it and/or drive it off. Be careful putting the new one on, you'll probably have to grind or sand down the shaft lightly and lube it so it'll go on without having to drive on the casting

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine----you just take the bolt out and it comes off. Might have to help it a little.
That's what they said mine would be...I pull and nothing happens I pulled the 3 inch bolt with lock washer and nut off without much of an issue. I lubbed it with some grease what else do I need to do?

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,933 Posts
I lubbed it with some grease what else do I need to do?
You can try attaching it to something solid then use a come-along to put some tension on the shaft while you tap it with a hammer.

·
Premium Member
5,990 Posts
That's what they said mine would be...I pull and nothing happens I pulled the 3 inch bolt with lock washer and nut off without much of an issue. I lubbed it with some grease what else do I need to do?
I use WD40(or similar) clamp something to the shaft---towards the end----to have something to tap on with a hammer---usually comes right off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I tried everything and it will not move. I have a strap holding one side to a tree and the other to the tractor. I gave it some penetrating oil and still no movement. I dont know what else to do other than load it on a trailer and have the dealer fix the dang thing.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,933 Posts
Keep spraying the penetrating oil and keep up the tension.
You can also try heating the shaft.
It may take a few days for the oil to soak in.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Going by your pics you got the self adjusting drive sharft off. Are you talking about the 'U' joint? That has snap rings. Remove them, pop the caps and replace. Learn about packing bearings first.

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
See if I can post a pic...

Ok, you want to pull this black knuckle off the shiny shaft?

You took out a bolt in the hole by my green dot?

Does the black piece move at all, or is it still very firm on the shaft?

You -did- remove that snap ring on the end of the shaft by my red dot right?

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
4,163 Posts

Paul
Your eyes are better than mine, or you have a bigger screen. Snap rings are jerks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Paul
I like what you did lol, yes i took the bolt out by the green dot and it still doesn't budge i thought about removing the ring thing. Just not sure how to do it and it not fly across the yard? but it doesnt even move close to the ring at this point. Would that keep it from moving at all?

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
I like what you did lol, yes i took the bolt out by the green dot and it still doesn't budge i thought about removing the ring thing. Just not sure how to do it and it not fly across the yard? but it doesnt even move close to the ring at this point. Would that keep it from moving at all?

Since the ring has to come off, it's easier now than when the knuckle is tight against it. Couple screwdrivers and a hammer or for those that actually own the special pliers sets, shouldn't be much trouble at all.

Slightly different deal, I had a pto coupler lock on my tractor pto so bad I had to take the cross apart, so I could put a puller on it and pull it off the tractor. That was work, then put it back together....

Penetrating oil, and 2 hammers. Oil it, let it set, oil it, put a hammer on one side held steady, and hit the other side of the black knuckle. You want to vibrate the pipe on the shaft, so you are hitting the side of the knuckle across the shaft. You need the extra hammer to take the blow, so you don't deform the bearings behind. You are trying to squish the pipe to break any rust and crud loose, and the oil will work in deeper in any vibrations you make.

At some point I would rap the front ears of the knuckle to try to push the knuckle back onto the shaft more. It's the best swing you have, and see if it moves. Note that this is indeed hard on the bearings, and one does so with some care.

Is there a keyway in there, sometimes they have a setscrew (often 2) on top of them.

Paul

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
WD40 is only a temporary lube. It is primarily a drying agent.
use penetrating oil, heat if needed. careful of pounding on it so you don't wreck the bearings..
you mentioned that you bent the shaft. maybe that is why it is binding somehow ??

I don't know exactly what the situation is, but maybe you can cut the shaft off flush and drill it out ??

.....jiminwisc....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for this help, I got it off finally I moved the strap and apparently it was off straight a bit so it was binding it stuck. Once it was straight on it and the ring off(wasn't to bad, used a screw driver and needle nose)and used the come along a GOOD bit it came off.I got the new one on and got it lined up then destroyed the bolt so I went and got another 2 of them today and got it on and now i have a spare. Didn't have a chance to test it today i ran out of sun. It was a grade 8 3 1/2 bolt then I got locking nut and 2 locking washers. Again thanks everyone I couldn't have done it without you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You don't want to use grade 8 bolts, they are too hard and can't take the shocks, they break easier in this situation than grade 5s. Also s lock nut and lock washer are Overkill. Get c-lock nuts and you won't have any trouble with it coming loose. Does the mower have a slip clutch?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't want to use grade 8 bolts, they are too hard and can't take the shocks, they break easier in this situation than grade 5s. Also s lock nut and lock washer are Overkill. Get c-lock nuts and you won't have any trouble with it coming loose. Does the mower have a slip clutch?
Overkill is fine with me however the 5 and 8 thing is concerning, so the bolt would snap then not have to replace it is that right? What's the difference and is that big of a deal? Oh and yes the brush hog has slip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts