Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help out here?

Most of my customers (flea market) are from N. Mexico or are native to this area; I know plenty of families whose ancestors were here before the Spanish/American war. So we're talking southwest border spanglish.

Anyone know how to say these things in Spanish?

Hair bow
Scrunchy
Bracelet
Ankle/Anklet (I've been telling people "those are for your foot" ... and getting blank looks)
Ring
Necklace
Earring

Solid Sterling Silver
Silver plate
Gold plate

Thanks muchly ... even if people speak English I tend to make more sales if I'm making an attempt at Spanish.

-- Leva

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you go to a site like babelfish they have an on-line translator where you can go from one language to another.

·
Registered
266 Posts
hair bow-cinta para el cabello
scrunchy-I'd use the same as above
bracelet-brazalete
ankle, anklet-tobillo
ring-circulo
necklace-collar (pronounced co-llar)
earring-oreja (you could say para su orejas, meaning for your ears) sorry my dictionary doesn't have earring per se.
sterling silver-plata esterlina
silver plate-sorry, don't have this. You could say plata, pero no esterlina. Meaning silver, but not sterling. Also enchapado in plata.
gold plate-don't have a phrase for this, but gold-filled is enchapado en oro
You could also say lamina de oro, meaning gold laminated.

Hope this helps. It would also be a boon to find a bilingual person to translate them into the local slang for you. My input is from a dictionary, which is basically proper Spanish.

·
Premium Member
42,659 Posts
Can anyone help out here?

Most of my customers (flea market) are from N. Mexico or are native to this area; I know plenty of families whose ancestors were here before the Spanish/American war. So we're talking southwest border spanglish.

Anyone know how to say these things in Spanish?

Hair bow
Scrunchy
Bracelet
Ankle/Anklet (I've been telling people "those are for your foot" ... and getting blank looks)
Ring
Necklace
Earring

Solid Sterling Silver
Silver plate
Gold plate

Thanks muchly ... even if people speak English I tend to make more sales if I'm making an attempt at Spanish.

-- Leva
Sorry, I dont know much spanish, just about enough to get my throat slit if used incorrectly! None of which is relative to those things on your list. :)

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Sorry... I best not, 'sides it'd only be fun if I was there to watch.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Oh yeah, I wouldn't listen to guys like littlejoe either....:nono:
only get you into trouble!:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey try im translator

Alguien sabe decir estas cosas en español?

Arco de pelo
Scrunchy
Pulsera
Ankle/Anklet (he estado diciendo a la gente que "aquellos son para su pie" ... y adquisición de miradas en blanco)
Anillo
Collar
Pendiente

Plata de Ley Sólida
Plateado
Vajilla de oro

Las gracias muchly ... aun si la gente dice el inglés que tiendo a hacer más ventas si hago una tentativa en el español.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I tried looking up some of the Spanish phrases I knew and didn't find any of them listed:

pork flavorie
pasta and pizza baby
moocho grassy ants

Maybe there's a special Spanish-Appalacian dialect translator.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Dos cervesas por favor.

Oh, wait, that might not help you sell jewelry. But that, gracias and de nada is the only Spanish I know ... and actually, all I've ever needed to know. :D

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The only spanish words and phrases I really know probably wouldn't be very conducive to business relationships.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts