Need some info on horse transport...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sidepasser, Jan 22, 2004.

1. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a horse located in Ohio, close to Cincinatti. Was wondering if anyone here knows of a reputable hauler that could bring a horse to Georgia and what the cost might be? The distance is 638 miles by Mapquest from their farm to my farm.

Transporter must have a seven foot tall trailer as owner will not let horse be moved without that height trailer due to the size of the horse.

If you know of someone reputable, or would like the job yourself and can provide references, please PM me with details.

I am cross posting here as well as on the Equine board so hopefully someone will respond.

Thanks,
    Sidepasser

2. Last time I had a horse hauled it was $1.00 a mile. I am sure it is more than that now. I am not in your area so I don't know anyone that hauls. Good luck.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Unless you hire a non-professional it will definetly cost well over $1 per mi. plus any other fees for handling,stopping,loading,feeding,etc.

4. There's several haulers out of Kentucky that go to Florida regularly. Go to bloodhorse.com -- they haul horses out of the big Thoroughbred sales. It will run about $1/mile as stated. You will need a health certificate, current Coggins. There is a group on yahoogroups.com called hitchhiking horses that people sometimes can haul between points if going the same way. Check those out thoroughly. Personally I'd stick with those that haul TB's. They normally have professional drivers who know horses and are used to handling sometimes tempermental horses.