need some imput

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Vere My Sone, May 15, 2005.

1. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

I got Norma in January.
    Jersey-5 years old

She was not bred and had calved in May, so she's been milked a year now.

I'm milking twice a day. She's only giving a little over a gallon a milking.

I finally learned her heat clues, and think she is finally bred. It's been 30 days and no signs of heat. So, say she is 1 month pregnant.

I'm toying with the idea of dropping her down to once a day milking,
    which will probably be about 1-1 1/2 gallons.

I'd like to milk her as long as possible, but don't want it to be a strain on her, since she's produced this long, it's now 90 degrees and she's pregnant.

She is turned out on pasture during the day, and stays up at the barn at night. She has grain twice a day, but no hay now. I'd prefer to turn her out at night when it's cooler, but the dogs around here are a bother, so I'd rather keep everyone up at the barn at night.

Any advice would be welcome, being as how this is my first dairy cow experience.

2. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

You can milk her twice a day up until two months before she calves if she is in really good condition. If you are worried about her condition then you can milk her up until three months before she calves. You can go to once a day if you want but as long as she has plenty to eat and cared for she will do fine. Dairy animals are made for milking and as long as they have good feed, they do what they do best and that is milk. Hope this answers your question.

Marla

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Ditto

4. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replys
    I guess I was just concerned since she has already been milked for a year, that maybe she'd be better off, or the calf would be better off if she wasn't milked the next 6 months.
    She came through the winter in good condition, I think
    She had grain, although it is an all stock mix, and all of the coastal bermuda she wanted
    She has a salt/mineral block, although now, I will be looking into loose mineral.
    TSC is the only place around now to buy anything, and they don't have anything for dairy animals in this store.

Haggis-did you get my pm?

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Aye, I did.

Should we find anymore peafowl eggs, they're yours. By next spring we will have our mated peafowl cooped, and ought to have plenty of extra eggs. They are your's if you can remember to email me for them.

Contrary to what some breeders and collectors seem to think, extra eggs are just extra eggs and only fit for breakfast, or gifts.