need some ideas for moving

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by biolady, Feb 9, 2005.

1. biolady

biolady Member

I am planning a move from southern Indiana to Seattle, Wa for this summer. I have recieved quotes for various moving companys from U-haul to U-pack companies to container moving companies. I don't mind doing the packing or driving for that matter, I am just looking for the most economical way to move 2,000 miles. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Stay away from commercial movers, they are run like mafia. They are notorious for under quoting then holding your stuff hostage until you pay their inflated bill.

We used a Ryder van pulling a U-haul trailer for our move from California to South Dakota. Nothing inflated or hidden in the charges as long as you fill the tank and clean the inside before returning (and don’t damage the truck of course).

If using a rental truck do a real close inspection of the unit because some thing you over look they will surely see when you return it.

If you’re worried about the gross weight take the loaded truck across the axle scales at a nearby truck stop, unless you know FOR SURE there are no scales along your intended route that require rental trucks to stop (South Dakota DOES).

Expect a comfortable air conditioned ride but no power when climbing hills. Coming through the pass on I-80, just east of Salt Lake, made the poor thing almost lay down and die.

U-Haul boasts the lowest deck height which sure would have been nice when loading all my weight lifting equipment.

My final plug for Ryder was the day I was flying back to California to pick up the family and the truck was 9-11-01. Needless to say I was delayed getting home by 7 days so our 1 week rental turned into 2 weeks with the truck in our possession. All Ryder asked was proof of flying that day and they reduced the rental to the original 1 week rate.

The rental car I finally Hooked into to get to get out of Denver was inflated by Hertz to $200 day plus $1 mile, but they DID finally adjust the rate to the published rate for that day before the crises was at hand.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

If you go with a rent a truck move yourself deal, try to negotiate the extra miles to AVOID the mountain passes as much as possible. And don't load the truck as heavily as they say you can, because the trucks are not built well enough to handle the rated load. I found this out the hard way!!!!

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Shop around. I knew I was moving a year in advance. I reserved a truck (no cost to reserve) at the lowest price I could find. Then I kept checking. I found the lowest rates between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was able to lock the rate by confirming a date. I could not change the date once I gave it to them, but I went from an initial quote of $2200 to $600! I kept that date!

If you are near a state line, check across the border. I moved from CA to IN, but I saved a ton of money by renting my truck in Vegas instead of in CA. It was a 3 hour drive to go get it, but well worth it by the money I saved.

Request a diesel if possible. Better mileage and used to be cheaper fuel, but doesn't appear to be anymore. The only drag is you end up in line with all the big trucks for fuel.

I rented two 24' trucks from Ryder. I don't see a huge difference between any of the big rental companies in regards to equipment or service, so just go with the lowest rates.

Jena

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Another thing....

I hired a local moving company to load my trucks. I had everything packed and boxed, but they fit it all in the trucks. I paid them $300 and it was well worth it.

They knew how to pack the load so it was stable, didn't shift, etc. I arrived with zero broken items.

Jena

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Look at using something like PODS. Will probably be how I will move. That rental truck thing is hard on the body, nerves and mind.

http://www.pods.com/?src=overture

Lots of these type companies these days. Mostly serve the heavy travel routes but getting a lot more popular as time goes by. Very big from the North to Florida.

7. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The best solution I heard was a family that bought a used school bus for $500. Packed and loaded it themselves. Drove the bus to their new farm and then used the bus as temporary housing until they built the house.

U-Haul has a history of screwing up reservations. I've rented enough that I've been in the offices several times and heard folks who suppossedly had reservaions go ballistic at hearing their truck wasn't there on time. If you do decide to rent a truck, Ryder sold out the consumer division to Budget. That's your best deal. Because of new Homeland Security regulation, rental trucks ARE required to go through all weigh stations. The rental agent is required to tell you that.

Keep in mind U-Hauls rental trucks are all governed to around 65 mph. That can get you in trouble in certain situations. For example, don't pull out to pass a slow moving vehicle on a long down hill if there's any chance of a faster moving semi catching you before you can get back into the slow lane. The last Budget truck I rented, a diesel, was not governed at any speed I hit. In the past I was never able to rent a diesel from Ryder for a one-way. Budget will do that now.

Check with the rental offices to find out when their busiest rental times ocurr. That may be at the beginning or end of the month or possible the start of the college enrollment, resort season etc. depending on your area. If you time your move for a slack period you'll have a shot at better equipment and possibly a better rate.

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

When I moved, the rate was not set on when I actually used the truck, but on when I made the reservation. I got probably the lowest rate of the year, but moved over the summer, probably during the peak season. I don't know if they still do that.

Another idea is to buy an enclosed trailer and sell it when done. Less mechanical worries and those trailers really hold their value.

Jena

9. barn-apart

barn-apart Well-Known Member

One other possibility would be a shipping container. You may need it dropped at a shipping dock and move your goods from there to your new location. Same for loading, but you will do no driving , shipping rates are much lower than regular frieght. We sometimes ship out lumber products across the country for about 1/3 the price as regular frieght.
    Good Luck
    Rick

10. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

On our last move which was only a short distance we went with a Ryder truck. It drove well and was affordable. What had happended to a friend of ours had influenced our choice he used a UHaul that once loaded broke down. When he call the 800# to have it serviced he was told that there was nobody in the area to service it on the weekend. We are not in some rural out of the way place and the town he was moving from has many automotive repair places. When he asked if he had it serviced on his own if he would be reimbursed they said it wasn't likely. Luckily his buddy was handy with cars and he suspected that the starter was the problem and he was able to start the truck by hitting the starter with a hammer. Otherwise our friend would have been stuck moving his belongings by car.

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Great thread with great ideas,thank you! I like the bus/shipping containers ideas,esp. the container,great temp housing and storage and a shop later? How can you beat that?? If I didnt already have an RV,a diesel smaller bus would be a great RV after the move.

BooBoo

12. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

This is the ballsy way to go. Only catch is to make sure you have enough room for a 28 foot trailer.

http://www.moveamerica.com/

This is the method I will try to go door to door from MA to OH. Just got the quote for a move of 680 miles using 20 foot of the trailer of $1771.97. I can't beat that with a stick. No, me breaking down on the highway or overweight in some rental truck. Nope I say leave the driving to the truck drivers, I have no problem packing it to save the money. A quiet drive in the F-150 with only me and the pup, briefcase, the fold up bed, chow and a spare can of gas.

This is actually cheaper than a 16 foot PODS and PODS would not go door to door for me in Ohio, would have had to go to a central depot and unload and haul like 100 miles in my pickup.

With the MoveAmerica I can take all my junk, including all the really heavy stuff I might have had to throw away. A full sized truck can do up around ~30 tons. And I don't have to accurately guessimate how much of the truck I really need, use what is required, block off my section, that is what I actually pay for. Duh, I can even take my bigger ladders.

This is actually a cute trick of getting Truck Load rate for a Less Than Truck Load, the company makes up the difference to cube out the truck before it make the trip, they just use local terminals at both ends to load / discharge their filler cargo before getting to your door. Got to love the idea. NOS freight rates to move your junk. :p

13. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

We just moved this last summer from CA to Mt and used ABF U-Pack to move all our worldly possessions. They were far cheaper than Ryder, U-haul, etc. especially when you consider the cost of gas. It worked especially well for us as we have two cars so hubby and I both were able to drive, he had the dogs and I had the cats. :) They drop the semi at your place and you have two days to pack it up and two days to unpack on it's arrival. We live in a small town here in MT so we did have to unload at their distribution center 50 miles away and rent a U-haul for the last 50 miles. We were very happy with the service we received from ABF. You can look them up and make all your reservations online. I'd highly reccommend checking them out.
    Good luck on your move! :)
    Steph