Homesteading Forum banner
9661 - 9680 of 9736 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
My wife would disagree, you haven’t smelled my sons football cleats.
And I’m not kidding. They are sitting outside on our front porch right now. My wife has run every chemical possible in the wash machine with them. I did just buy an ozone machine….
If you put the ozone machine inside a large plastic tote (Have a hole drilled for the power cord to go through and then seal around cord with tape), plug it in and set the timer for 30 minutes. Set the shoes in the tote and put the lid on. After the 30 minute timer is done the ozone machine will shut off. Wait 15 to 30 minutes more and remove the lid. The shoes should smell a lot better.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you put the ozone machine inside a large plastic tote (Have a hole drilled for the power cord to go through and then seal around cord with tape), plug it in and set the timer for 30 minutes. Set the shoes in the tote and put the lid on. After the 30 minute timer is done the ozone machine will shut off. Wait 15 to 30 minutes more and remove the lid. The shoes should smell a lot better.
I think my ozone machine might smell like my sons shoes when I’m done. :)
Seriously, we’re going to have to try this. I just bought a machine maybe 2 months back to clean up smells at our Air B&B, so that’s our next step. Thanks!

·
Registered
20,027 Posts
I think my ozone machine might smell like my sons shoes when I’m done. :)
Seriously, we’re going to have to try this. I just bought a machine maybe 2 months back to clean up smells at our Air B&B, so that’s our next step. Thanks!
I've heard ozone kills bedbugs too. That is handy for an AirBnB if it's true.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
My wife would disagree, you haven’t smelled my sons football cleats.
And I’m not kidding. They are sitting outside on our front porch right now. My wife has run every chemical possible in the wash machine with them. I did just buy an ozone machine….
Try WIN laundry detergent. It is different from other detergents, which are designed to remove grease.
Amazon.com: WIN Activewear Laundry Detergent - Preserve Elastic, Brighten Colors, and Remove Odors. Made for Running Yoga Gym Microfiber Workout Clothes and Football Hockey Baseball Soccer Lacrosse Sports Uniforms - Active Fresh (Blue), 64 Fl Oz : Health & Household

·
Registered
20,027 Posts
A friend of mine has a hotel and uses an ozone machine in her rooms when someone ignores the hefty fine and smokes in one of her rooms.
Ex was in the fire and water damage business. Ozone machine will kill everything.
After Hurricane Harvey, a friend of mine bought some ozone machines and went down to Houston. He made a fortune charging 2k~ per house. It took 3 days and all mold was killed without tearing out the studs. It killed the mold inside the air ducts too. He was the one that told me it will kill all bugs that use O2 to breathe. I guess that means all of them then. If I ever get bedbugs I will call him for sure. I have heard that heat treatment doesnt always work.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
A friend of mine has a hotel and uses an ozone machine in her rooms when someone ignores the hefty fine and smokes in one of her rooms.
Ex was in the fire and water damage business. Ozone machine will kill everything.
Yes, we bought ours not because people smoked, but there is always that possibility. We got ours because often people cooked food with strong odors. We didn’t want that smell lingering for the next guests. Seemed to work well so far. Great to hear about the bedbugs, but I hope to not have to deal with that!

9661 - 9680 of 9736 Posts