5161 - 5180 of 5252 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,002 Posts
We had 4

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
We had six on a good day. On a bad day my dad or uncle would have to climb up the antenna to adjust it. That was a three person operation, one doing the adjusting, one person in the living room to yell when it was right again and a third person in the front doorway relaying that information to the person outside.
This much effort was worth it, to my dad and uncle, when there was a hockey game on.

·
Saltine American
6,947 Posts
I think we had only three and to adjust the antenna, u had to climb up on the roof.

Reactions: alida

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
We had the Big 3 (ABC, CBS, NBC) as well as what was then a local station, WGN (owned by the World's Greatest Newspaper - at the time - The Chicago Tribune), and the Chicago PBS station, WTTW (Window To The World).

Also had UHF stations WCIU (channel 26, Chicago 1[st] Uhf) and channel 32, WFLD, (FieLD Enterprises, founding owner of the station, now owned by Fox).

7 channels in a major city market. And none of them ran all night. There was always the test pattern from around 11 pm until 5 am, when WGN started the day with Orion Samuelson's Farm Report. Even when I was a city kid, I watched the farm reports. LOL

ETA: When DH's folks were down to visit last week, they brought the Sunday Trib. Not only was it skinny as a rail, the masthead no longer reads, "World's Greatest Newspaper." Just as well. It is nothing but a red scandal rag, since they fired all dissenting (i.e. conservative and libertarian) staff, including the great John Kass.

Reactions: 67drake

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We had the Big 3 (ABC, CBS, NBC) as well as what was then a local station, WGN (owned by the World's Greatest Newspaper - at the time - The Chicago Tribune), and the Chicago PBS station, WTTW (Window To The World).

Also had UHF stations WCIU (channel 26, Chicago 1[st] Uhf) and channel 32, WFLD, (FieLD Enterprises, founding owner of the station, now owned by Fox).

7 channels in a major city market. And none of them ran all night. There was always the test pattern from around 11 pm until 5 am, when WGN started the day with Orion Samuelson's Farm Report. Even when I was a city kid, I watched the farm reports. LOL

ETA: When DH's folks were down to visit last week, they brought the Sunday Trib. Not only was it skinny as a rail, the masthead no longer reads, "World's Greatest Newspaper." Just as well. It is nothing but a red scandal rag, since they fired all dissenting (i.e. conservative and libertarian) staff, including the great John Kass.
How could you forgot channel 44. Home of Bob Luce wrestling! With Bens auto sales commercials? I remember if I woke up earlier then normal, I also watched the farm report. I still remember Orians super deep voice. :) Watching the Ray Rayner show was the kid thing to do in Chicago.

Gesture Sky Travel Vehicle Event

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
How could you forgot channel 44. Home of Bob Luce wrestling! With Bens auto sales commercials? I remember if I woke up earlier then normal, I also watched the farm report. I still remember Orion's super deep voice. :) Watching the Ray Rayner show was the kid thing to do in Chicago.

View attachment 99819
Oh! Yeah, 44!

We could never get Channel 44 to come in, even when we would string wire from the antenna to the front window.

Ray Rayner!!! YES! Remember Chelveston the Duck, and the Do It Yourself projects? We loved Ray when he would tell us that our school (St Gregory on the far North side) was closed due to SNOW!

There was the Bozo show at lunchtime. I was on there twice: once as a little kid (neighbor got tickets, and I was too little, and found it oh so boooooring....) and once when my son was an infant (friend got tickets). Liked it better the second time. Did not get to play Grand Prize Game either time. ;)

Used to race home from school to watch the King of the United States, Garfield Goose.

WGN was a good station back then.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Oh! Yeah, 44!

We could never get Channel 44 to come in, even when we would string wire from the antenna to the front window.

Ray Rayner!!! YES! Remember Chelveston the Duck, and the Do It Yourself projects? We loved Ray when he would tell us that our school (St Gregory on the far North side) was closed due to SNOW!

There was the Bozo show at lunchtime. I was on there twice: once as a little kid (neighbor got tickets, and I was too little, and found it oh so boooooring....) and once when my son was an infant (friend got tickets). Liked it better the second time. Did not get to play Grand Prize Game either time. ;)

Used to race home from school to watch the King of the United States, Garfield Goose.

WGN was a good station back then.
Another WGN favorite of mine was Family Classics. I think that was Sunday afternoon?
I also went to Bozo Circus twice. Once in grade school , my whole class went as one of the mothers got tickets for everyone. Once when I was about 9. I got chosen from the line while entering to be in the opening skit with Bozo and Cookie. I’m sure you remember seeing me on TV? It was the beginning of my career.

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
Another WGN favorite of mine was Family Classics. I think that was Sunday afternoon?
I also went to Bozo Circus twice. Once in grade school , my whole class went as one of the mothers got tickets for everyone. Once when I was about 9. I got chosen from the line while entering to be in the opening skit with Bozo and Cookie. I’m sure you remember seeing me on TV? It was the beginning of my career.
I loved Family Classics. Cried when Frasier Thomas died. :(

I'd better go find something funny to add to this thread... Seems we've taken a bit of a detour.

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
Hair Hand Leg Happy Cartoon

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
Cartoon Gesture Art Font Gas

Reactions: StL.Ed
5161 - 5180 of 5252 Posts