Need Some Help With Bread

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Mar 14, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I know I should put this on cooking but I need help fast.Can I use Self Rising Flour in place of All Purpose in my Bread?

big rockpile

2. jdskidder

jdskidder Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what kind of bread you are making. Self rising flour has baking powder (or is it soda?) in it. And you don't use that in making a regular yeast type bread.

Dorian

3. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

If you had to depend on me for answer- go ahead it should work- you might lower baking powder or soda or yeast or something- compare the ingredients on the bags for a clue.

4. big rockpile

Well its for regular Sourdough Bread.I have about half the All Purpose Flour I need.I'm out of Bread don't want to catch it from the Boss when she gets home. :(

big rockpile

5. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Hi Dave -- nope - can't use self-rising flour to make sourdough bread. You could make the Boss a batch of biscuits with the self-rising flour.

Marlene

6. big rockpile

:( Marlene I was afraid of that.

Thanks Guys!!

big rockpile

7. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Sourdough bread will not call for any leavening agent except yeast.

You can try it, but I don't think it will come out the same as your regular recipe. Do you have plenty of the self-rising flour? Maybe you could make cornbread or muffins.

Fannie Farmer Baking Book says "Self-rising flour is all purpose flour with baking powder and salt added. It is popular in the south for making biscuits and cornbread. It usually is not used for bread baking, in fact, I do not recommend it............."

8. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

If you're talking about using self rising flour in a pinch for breadmaking, yes, you can. It may yield a slightly different texture then you are used to, but nothing distastful. I have used self rising flour for making bread before and it worked out satisfactory. There are bread recipes out there, mostly sponge type recipes that call for baking soda or powder in the list of ingredients.
    Good luck with your baking.