Need some help on pregnent doe

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GoldenWood Farm, Nov 17, 2004.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Ok,
    My mom sexed some new zealand babys that she bought wrong by accident...she bought three babys from a breeder...2 where bucks and 1 was a doe. They where only 9 weeks old and they where put together on the way home. They stayed together for another week then my mom seperated them...she thought she put the 2 bucks together. Well long story short...she put the buck in with the doe so she didn't sex them right. Now the doe is pregnent (she is like only 13 weeks old or so...). My moms question is there any special treatment we should give her? We arn't going to abort her or anything as we think she is due anytime. Any signs we should look out for or anything that could go wrong with delivery with her so young? She is a very healthy young doe. Just wanted to know if there is anything we should be looking out for in a doe so young and also if there is anything special we should feed or give to her before/while she has the babys.

MotherClucker

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

No, you don't have to do anything special. She may not be pregnant, even if she is pulling out fur, so I would take the buck out pronto. Besides, if she is pregnant you don't want to have the buck in there, especially when the babies are born. You do have to give her a nestbox, obviously, with some type of bedding in it so she can nest. You don't have to change her food, but after the babies are born I usually give full feed until they are weaned. If she isn't pregnant, I would wait until she is at 4 months or a bit older (5 or max of 6). She may have a problem having the babies, but usually the worst is that they are stillborn, and then you can breed her back... You really can't do much at this point. So just take care of her, take the buck out, and give her a place to nest. I think that's it...

3. GoldenWood Farm

She is not with the buck anymore. We have had 2 does kindle before so we know sort of what to do. One of our does just kindled yesterday with a nice healthy litter of 7. This young doe's belly is very full feeling...and it looks big. Not like a none pregnent doe should. The doe is by her self in a nice area so she can kindle by her self etc. We think she is due very soon if anytime... My mom feels horrid about sexing them wrong.... So the young doe having babys at her age won't hurt her any? It won't stunt her growth or anything? I was thinking that it might help her if maybe we put a little calf manna in her feed when she has the babys? My mom is breeding rabbits for meat and so thats why it wouldn't be good if we stunted this doe's growth..she is a breeder.... Do you think that the young doe will have any problems kindling or feeding the babys? Should we euthinize the babys once they are born so the doe doesn't have to feed them? Would it be ok for her if she has a healthy litter for her to raise them out? Sorry for all the questions..

MotherClucker

4. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

If the bucks were 9 weeks also I really doubt the doe is pregnant. Bucks are sexually mature from 4-6 months.

5. GoldenWood Farm

she has been with a buck for over a month and when we got them they where a little over 9 weeks. So she was with him when he was way over 9 weeks old. The young doe sure feels pregnent. Her belly is huge for one of her age and she just doesn't look none pregnent. She isn't fat though...but when you pick her up her belly is "full"! I am hoping against hope that you are right and there is no way she could be pregnent but still.....

MotherClucker

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

As long as she is able to deliver the babies, it won't hurt her. She won't be stunted at all... I wouldn't change her feed at all, keep things stable, she doesn't need the calf manna. You could give her a bit more feed at each feeding, but not a whole lot, just enough to make sure she gets enough while she is still slightly growing. No, don't euthinize the babies! If they come out alive and well, as is well and you have no problems on hand at all. Just make sure you give her full feed while she is milking and she will do just fine. You may find she does better than the does you waited to breed, as long as, like I said before, she is actually able to deliver live. That's usually the only complication with young does. Everything else is normal if not a bit better!

7. GoldenWood Farm

Ok....its good to know that she will do just fine*wipes brow*...Thanx for clearing everything up for me!

motherclucker

8. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry, Tracy, but I do have to disagree with you about the bucks. Once you experience an unplanned pregnancy from a litter mate at 10 weeks of age, you learn very quickly that bucks (and does) can mature at different rates... some early, some late. Therefore, I have no choice but to say: "9 weeks of age? Anything is possible!"

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

9. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Hi Pat,

I didnt say it was impossible just unlikley. :)

You are the expert though so I do stand corrected. Just my own experiences has been different.

10. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

I certainly didn't intend to offend you, so please don't take it as such. Since most show breeders recommend breeding at 6 months of age, it is a very common mistake to read more into that statement by assuming that rabbits simply aren't mature enough to breed and/or conceive before then. It sure gets a lot of new breeders into a whole lot of trouble, too. :rolleyes:

Not knowing how many rabbits you have and/or how long you've been raising rabbits, then, I will say this: The more rabbits you have, and the longer you raise them, the better your chances are of running into just about every situation. Have I had unplanned pregnancies from not weaning before 10 weeks of age? Yup! Have I had double pregnancies where a doe delivered a second litter two weeks after the first from a second breeding? Yup, again. But then, I've been raising on a large scale for close to 25 years, too. So, it's not your fault that you haven't had those experiences... yet. :haha:

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

11. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Pat,

You certainly didnt offend me. I welcome your input on this board. You are by far the most knowledgable person I know when it comes to the rabbit industry!

12. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

MotherClucker, you'll have to keep us posted on the doe's progress, or lack thereof... It will be interesting now to see if she really is pregnant.